So what actually is the current state of Northstar?

Have OmniCrate™, will travel the stars.
long_fella

Re: So what actually is the current state of Northstar?

Post by long_fella » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:20 am

Coyro wrote:I'll gladly spend $10 more for an expanded and polished version of FZ cause I find the concept really brilliant. Sadly enough, this probably will never happen due to rather cold acceptance of the mass market.
Never was a SotS fan so I'd like to see NS as the first and foremost priority... :roll:

And that's the conundrum.

You enjoy and appreciate FZ. I don't. You're not wrong, I'm not right, but I am glad that the money I spent on it should contribute to N*.
I'm a SotS fan and you're not, though you are probably, like me, grateful that, were it not for SotS, there would be no N*.
There are, for good reasons, SotS fanatics out there, who want nothing more than SotS2.
Kerberos is a business. A business with heart, belief, and direction, and desire, for sure. But still a business.

I'll moan and groan, about the lack of N*, or the prioritisation of SotS2, or the fact that I can't find a decent multi-button wireless left handed mouse, along with the best of you. And I'll completely agree with you when you state that flying American to JFK from Heathrow is a pleasure, but that flying American from JFK to Heathrow is a pain in the arse. Makes any sense? Nope. But it is what it is......

Utlimately, though I might bitch about it, I want Cerberus to get there.

For me.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:43 am

long_fella wrote:
Coyro wrote:I'll gladly spend $10 more for an expanded and polished version of FZ cause I find the concept really brilliant. Sadly enough, this probably will never happen due to rather cold acceptance of the mass market.
Never was a SotS fan so I'd like to see NS as the first and foremost priority... :roll:

And that's the conundrum.

You enjoy and appreciate FZ. I don't. You're not wrong, I'm not right, but I am glad that the money I spent on it should contribute to N*.
I'm a SotS fan and you're not, though you are probably, like me, grateful that, were it not for SotS, there would be no N*.
There are, for good reasons, SotS fanatics out there, who want nothing more than SotS2.
Kerberos is a business. A business with heart, belief, and direction, and desire, for sure. But still a business.

I'll moan and groan, about the lack of N*, or the prioritisation of SotS2, or the fact that I can't find a decent multi-button wireless left handed mouse, along with the best of you. And I'll completely agree with you when you state that flying American to JFK from Heathrow is a pleasure, but that flying American from JFK to Heathrow is a pain in the arse. Makes any sense? Nope. But it is what it is......

Utlimately, though I might bitch about it, I want Cerberus to get there.

For me.

I would rather see Kerberos expand into 2 teams, then 3, then 4... until it becomes a major game developper in it's own right. I also want to see them do it the RIGHT way, and not like other companies have before them. I have faith in Mecron's dream and vision for his company, and very much would be honored to be an employee and part of helping that company grow. I may come off a bit snarky at times, but I whole heartedly want to see kerberos not just "get by" but to be SUCESSFUL in a big, good way!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:51 am

don't mistake smaller with "unsuccesful", thanks. Remember the bigger any system gets, the less responsive it gets.

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:03 am

I am still of the opinion that 2 seperate coding teams for 2 simultaneous projects wouldn't be a bad thing.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:30 am

shakes head and steps away from the internet.

Blazer
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Blazer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:41 pm

Not much changes I see.

Success is a measure of relativity in this sort of an endeavor and, relatively speaking, Kerberos has been consistently successful.

They exist as an exemplar of an approach to the industry that has been largely avoided. You push for growth to encourage faster development and more end product and you sacrifice the culture that they have built around their brand and ultimately what is at the heart of their success.

More bluntly, don't fix what ain't broke.
Pro Bono Populi

"I am constant as the northern star..."

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:59 pm

What? But...10 systems is better than 2 systems, right? You mean the real world isn't a 4X?

long_fella

Post by long_fella » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:32 am

Blazer wrote:Not much changes I see.

Success is a measure of relativity in this sort of an endeavor and, relatively speaking, Kerberos has been consistently successful.

They exist as an exemplar of an approach to the industry that has been largely avoided. You push for growth to encourage faster development and more end product and you sacrifice the culture that they have built around their brand and ultimately what is at the heart of their success.

More bluntly, don't fix what ain't broke.

I completely agree. Additionally, just as Mecron says aboe that small does not equate to unsuccessful, big does not equate to successful.

Just look at the institutionalised pap that Bioware / EA have chucked out there with DA:O and ME2. Or Sony whenever they touch pretty much anything.

Khurn

Post by Khurn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:15 pm

Mecron wrote:shakes head and steps away from the internet.

Just one of them days eh.

Khurn

Post by Khurn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:17 pm

zanzibar196 wrote:I am still of the opinion that 2 seperate coding teams for 2 simultaneous projects wouldn't be a bad thing.

Throwing bodies at things isn't where miracles happen.

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:37 pm

Khurn wrote:
zanzibar196 wrote:I am still of the opinion that 2 seperate coding teams for 2 simultaneous projects wouldn't be a bad thing.

Throwing bodies at things isn't where miracles happen.

You, sir are correct. But I think Mecron could handle supervising 2 seperate teams at once, as long as the projects were staggered, and like 6 months apart in production. Maybe I'm wrong about that? So a 2nd team of high quality, well respected, kerberos level of quality coders, supervised by the same person should give you the results you are looking for, yes?

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:54 am

This would not feel like a family business any more. And Mec likes it like a family. So that he can justifiably e-beat me up whenever I pick on that family. :thumbsup:

Please don't. I'll behave for a whole minute!
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:35 pm

So, a family of 8 people isn't a family, as compared to a family of 4? :confused:

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:49 pm

zanzibar196 wrote:So, a family of 8 people isn't a family, as compared to a family of 4? :confused:

One team = family
Two teams = management

Or something man. Just pretend you know what I'm talking about. I'll do the same.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:46 pm

Space Voyager wrote:
zanzibar196 wrote:So, a family of 8 people isn't a family, as compared to a family of 4? :confused:

One team = family
Two teams = management

Or something man. Just pretend you know what I'm talking about. I'll do the same.

Eh? *more confused* again, 2 teams done RIGHT = one bigger family... it's all in how you build the darn thing... I trust in Mecron! :D

Return to “NorthStar General Discussion”