Voice acting?

Have OmniCrate™, will travel the stars.
Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Voice acting?

Post by Mecron » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:41 pm

Sev, there you go...speaking of taking this into account. You can't really compare ME to F3 without taking into account ME is about 2 orders of magnitude more constrained.

As for breaking immersion...well finding out there is only 3 basic buildings in all of outer space is fairly...non-immersive. That being said I enjoyed both but I guess its the old school training that lets me see with eyes free of "wanting to like more" :twisted:

Will, your last post made a Ninetendo exec grin on the other side of the world and he doesn't even know why. :P

Allattar

Post by Allattar » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:14 am

Give us community voice actors,
Yes hold a competition on the forums for some of us to voice the background dialogue and see if any of us are good enough...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory
Every darn time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
shadow wolf wrote:Sorry to be so English.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:26 am

Yes, i'd be great for those Arnie lines; Da moar I'm wit peöple, da moar I loarn. :lol:
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Will the Great

Post by Will the Great » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:57 pm

Plus, it'd be cheaper than hiring real voice actors! :D

Daedalao

Post by Daedalao » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:17 am

My thought was more along the lines of... Hey, you guys get as much voice acting done as you can afford/want to do... and uhh, let us know which characters aren't voice acted at all. We can fill in the gaps.

I'm going to throw this in here as I have nowhere else to say that I am now anxiously awaiting this game that I'd not heard of until I started following fort zombie and now I cannot wait. I've got SotS and honestly, I bought it on the condition that you guys were so careful with your baby, the love of an indie developer I suppose. And fort zombie is awesome. I really can't wait for, what in my eyes is a spiritual successor to starflight, Northstar to come out. I am seriously enjoying all of the things you've put into your previous games and really can't wait to see how this comes together. Also, I'm a Moron with a microphone that doesn't suck entirely ;) I'm sure my acting could use some help :)

Chris
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Chris » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:01 am

I support this idea. There's a slew of people here willing to do it for free, and while the quality may be lower, Kerb may find themselves pleasantly suprised. If nothing else it's a way to fill background and secondary/tertiary characters on the cheap.

Hmm... there could even be some beta/pre-order contest...

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:36 am

Although the actual voice acting doesn't cost a penny screening the stuff people send in, such as my own audition to be The Garbled Voice on the Other Side of the Intercom, to make sure truly horrible clips, such as mine, don't make it into the final product does take someone's time. Even worse: it deals with artistic choices so it can't be delegated to a mindless dron-I mean an intern. That means it takes the time of someone important and thus costs money.

Besides, I'd feel sorry for the dev who'd have to listen to a gazillion amateur takes of "Sure is nice and quiet here. Too bad the fuel prices are up." :)

Chris
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Chris » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:56 am

It could kill two birds with one stone: Fill up background chatter and serve and a pool of soul crushing tedium to be handed out at Mecron's whim.

Still, I hadn't considered the time that may be involved.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:04 pm

Carefull, we don't want to anger the voice-actors guild...
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

PsychoThruster

Post by PsychoThruster » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:12 pm

I will volunteer my services. I have no experience doing voice acting specifically, but I have been in front of a camera before. I can also do a convincing Russian accent.

Return to “NorthStar General Discussion”