Voice acting?

Have OmniCrate™, will travel the stars.
TrashMan

Re: Voice acting?

Post by TrashMan » Sat May 10, 2008 11:13 am

I liked the Freelancers sense of ....activity.

Freighters used tradelanes, police patrolled areas and scanned ships, ocassional pirates popped up...and then the background chatter between various ships... Yeah, it would have been nice if there were more voices or lines, but it was a very nice touch..

most of the time you don't really listen to that freighter captain chatting with station traffic control about where it's going, but it soooooo does add to the atmosphere
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

Xentax

Post by Xentax » Sat May 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Yeah, that sense of a busy world is important, and Freelancer did that part fairly well. X3 and even Space Rangers did pretty well here too.

I wouldn't mind more of that 'background chatter' audio - but again, variety is the key :)

-X

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:11 am

Gorre wrote:Aye, my dad talked about how he would sit there 'till 3 o'clock in the morning getting the crap scared out of him playing X-Com :P

I think he still has it somewhere...

I never had an RTS or for that matter TBS do that to me (never played X-Com), just FPS games. Specifically System Shock 2 (some interesting dreams from that one, still) and AVP 1 as the marines (jump-tacular with the lights off and more than 2 speakers). Doom 3 made me jump a couple of times but those other 2 games hit the atmosphere and setup perfectly IMO.

Shock2 had just enough clips of speech to keep things interesting and even now I get surprised by a rare clip.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Xentax

Post by Xentax » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:13 pm

I just fired up a new X-Com campaign this week...

...and had my 2nd base attacked in *April 1999* (hadn't even built living quarters yet, so it automatically died too :()!

Those Sectoids are REALLY upset that I didn't let them raze Perth to the ground...

winginson

Post by winginson » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:47 pm

Then you have games like dead space, where the voice acting usually snaps you out of the immersion. Anyone else played that in the wee hours of the morning, lights out with surround sound :shock: .

But yeah, voice acting is important as long as it is is varied and well implemented. I mean a voice coming over the com system should sound lower quality than someone standing next to you, to my mind.
You may kick people when they are down,
But I am the one who broke their legs!

U.E.D.C.

Post by U.E.D.C. » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:24 pm

Been playing halo 3 a while, Mal and Jayne from firefly do voice acting for some marines, been finding myself protecting them to say funny stuff, alot of it releates to their characters' personas. sometimes all you need to vary the voice acting is to have an actor say something funny that their character from something else would say, like i've heard Jayne say 'that was fun except for the terror' and Mal 'that was too goram close'
Hey wouldn't it be cool if Nathan Fillion had a VA role somewhere, like for a tutorial, just a thought.
Mecron wrote:"Hah! We rule the earth!!! Space is stupid anyway!"

darkone

Post by darkone » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:25 pm

More voice acting the better. Yeah reading text is ok but the experience is so much better when all text is said to you or it is in a cutscene. All I have to say or warn you about is please, please don't use The Tomorrow War as your game of reference for voice acting. That game almost has to be the worse voice acting I have ever heard :)

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:32 pm

U.E.D.C. wrote:Been playing halo 3 a while, Mal and Jayne from firefly do voice acting for some marines, been finding myself protecting them to say funny stuff, alot of it releates to their characters' personas. sometimes all you need to vary the voice acting is to have an actor say something funny that their character from something else would say, like i've heard Jayne say 'that was fun except for the terror' and Mal 'that was too goram close'
Hey wouldn't it be cool if Nathan Fillion had a VA role somewhere, like for a tutorial, just a thought.

you will also find wash in the game. all were hired to recreate their characters from firefly. There is one point where you can hear fillion clearly say something like, "This is Sgt. Reynolds. We're on our way." Whatever the exact quote is, he definitely uses his character's name.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

U.E.D.C.

Post by U.E.D.C. » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:18 pm

Yah I know, Reynolds is the marine being beat up by the brute standing on the log-bridge in sierra 117.
Mecron wrote:"Hah! We rule the earth!!! Space is stupid anyway!"

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:22 pm

yeah, you see? THAT'S the proper thing to do wiht microsoft money!

"Wow! I sure do love me them Firefly guys!"
"So do I. Sure would be great to meet 'em!"
"Hey! Why don't we hire them all for voice work?!!"
"Hey! Nice one!! Sure is a good thing this couch is made entirely of C-notes!"

:twisted:

harperbrad

Post by harperbrad » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:39 pm

And for the non-Microsoft boys?

Celebrity impersonators!

We can have Elvis, Richard Nixon, and George Bush for our crew members!

--Harper
--HarperBrad
Image Image Image

mango
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by mango » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:13 am

Now thats what I call a winnable war!

Ah whatever happened to Spitting Image?

Freelancer did make quite an effort with VA and immersion which I think was really quite impressive, I noticed recently while trying to get the LaneHackers bribe in Freeport 4 using the reload exploit (still failed :oops:) that for some of the bar room responses eg rejections due to low standing, they divided up the reply into synonymous segments and then recorded different versions for each segment and then randomly combined the segments in game. First segment was a recognition of low standing and second segment was telling you to get lost with added smack talk, with various different idioms!

You could try doing that with proper nouns and stuff like they do in X3 but it is difficult to get the cadence right so that the sentence flows, when you splice in a different recording. I think its the change in pitch that does it.

The Writer2
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by The Writer2 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:59 pm

Ah, Freelancer was good for what it was trying to do. It tried to be everything a little too much though, and there wasn't quite enough depth to keep things interesting. Some variation between "quests" instead of "blow this up" would have been nice; something akin to Oblivion with its side-quests.

I think the VA was an example of how NOT to do it. It's just too choppy.
Image Image Image

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see." -- Arthur Schopenhauer

"Who are you? What do you want? Why are you here? Where are you going?"

Xentax

Post by Xentax » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:16 pm

Mecron wrote:yeah, you see? THAT'S the proper thing to do wiht microsoft money!

"Wow! I sure do love me them Firefly guys!"
"So do I. Sure would be great to meet 'em!"
"Hey! Why don't we hire them all for voice work?!!"
"Hey! Nice one!! Sure is a good thing this couch is made entirely of C-notes!"

:twisted:

I'd settle for a desk chair made out of C-notes... :)

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:55 pm

I would honestly rather minimal voice acting for a really big game from a relatively small company. Sots you can get away with a few bits of voice acting (though more variety was added with time) but a big dynamic game, the voice acting becomes a limiting factor IMO. Maybe keep the voice work to mission critical bits.

On the other hand I know many people now that if the game doesn't have voice work for basically everything (excepting post battle in RPG), they wont play it. EX: Okami used sound effects (midi like) for people talking and THAT was the reason these people didn't play it.... ??:?:

seems like a lot of people forgot about this odd little skill called reading and that it can by handy in telling a story...
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Return to “NorthStar General Discussion”