North Star--echoes of Traveller?

Have OmniCrate™, will travel the stars.
harperbrad

North Star--echoes of Traveller?

Post by harperbrad » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:06 pm

Is anybody on this board old enough to remember the old RPG, "Traveller?" It was a sci-fi based RPG that came out around the same time as D&D. You might end up owning a ship, but that was a pretty big deal. Mostly, you travelled through space having adventures visiting planets and getting into trouble.

Here's a wiki page about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveller_ ... aying_game)

Seems like a universe not too far off from the North Star or the Firefly setting.
--HarperBrad
Image Image Image

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:50 pm

echoes? echoes??!!!!! Its a tribute dammit!! A tribute I tell you!!!! :P

Seriously though, if we do enough of a good job that old timers get a tear in their eye remembering Traveller, or people say "Its like playing an episode of Firefly"...I will consider things a job well down.

Personally, I have always been a lil suspicious when Wash yells "Let's go, Travellers!" in Firefly. I think Joss has always played down his Traveller knowledge but one could build a good case for it. :wink:

harperbrad

Post by harperbrad » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:11 pm

I spent most of my youthful RPG gaming in the Traveller universe. It would be nice to visit again, if through a slightly different door... I remember having so much fun just rolling characters through the various military and civilian backgrounds. Of course, I always wanted to get a scout ship--it's great to have your own ride!
--HarperBrad
Image Image Image

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:34 pm

if there is one thing I would like to capture from those days it IS the concept that ships are freedom...that to have a ship makes you special and its not just a disposable, trade-able, lose and get another one no problem kinda thing.

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:59 pm

While I am far too young to have actually played Traveller, I stumbled across it maybe a year or so ago while cruising around the internet. It seemed like a very interesting game, with tons and tons of stuff covering everything from the biology of individual aliens to personal weapons to huge space fleets to interstellar economy to astrometry. (Seriously, how many scifi settings get anywhere near astrometry?) It caused a serious why-couldn't-I-be-born-at-another-time-
with-a-bunch-of-suitably-geeky-friends moment. :(

harperbrad

Post by harperbrad » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:08 pm

The original traveller game I'm familiar with lacked most of the universe back ground. As I recall it was 2 or three thin booklets of rules. One for characters, one for starships and such. That was back in the late 70s/early 80s. Sadly, my parents got religion about that time and chucked out D&D and anything even slightly RPG oriented (heck, they threw out Cosmic Encounters!). It was after college before I got into RPGs again.

Looking over the wiki, it looks like the traveller universe got bigger and bigger, until someone had to smash it with a hammer to add some more spice. Pity--it was a good game as it was.
--HarperBrad
Image Image Image

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:20 pm

The background stuff arrived at about the same pace as it did with DnD...as DnD created backdrops like Greyhawk, Traveller created the Imperium and locales like the Spinward Marches. What was cool about it was they dared to do things differently...Yes, Humans were the main race in the regions the game first started it, but the joke was they were not an Earth based empire. The first imperium was founded by humans that had been taken from earth to another world as a slave race. A nice touch...and one that then allowed them to give the subtle twist that earth based humans had a touch of "Master Race" about them in the current time :P

Traveller was not for everyone though, DnD remained more popular mainly because plot motivation was easy..."You are an elf, you hate orcs! Look! Treasure!" ...whereas Traveller was, "Someone offers you a shady deal, and you know its probably going to go bad but you do have that mortgage payment on the ship to make at the end of the month..." Bankruptcy can be a kind of abstract motivator to a 11 year old. :P

Darloth

Post by Darloth » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:45 pm

I dunno, it was easy to explain to me at 11 that "no money = people take your ship = no more looting random alien ruins for you"

Archonsod

Post by Archonsod » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:28 am

We just ripped off Star Trek episodes half the time :lol:

IIRC Traveller was actually the first RPG not to involve elves, dwarves or anything else which might pop up in Tolkien. Probably the first RPG which didn't expect the player to use a map the whole time too.

Captain Kal
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Captain Kal » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:03 pm

..that to have a ship makes you special and its not just a disposable, trade-able, lose and get another one no problem kinda thing.

I never played "Traveller" , but I played the CRPG version of "Megatraveller 1", on my Amiga 500. I remeber that ships were VERY expensive. In fact the only way to get a ship at the start of the game, was to have a trader in your party. After a very succesfull carreer, they got one as a gift. (But you had to re - roll endlessly :lol: )

harperbrad

Post by harperbrad » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:13 pm

Captain Kal wrote:
..that to have a ship makes you special and its not just a disposable, trade-able, lose and get another one no problem kinda thing.

I never played "Traveller" , but I played the CRPG version of "Megatraveller 1", on my Amiga 500. I remeber that ships were VERY expensive. In fact the only way to get a ship at the start of the game, was to have a trader in your party. After a very succesfull carreer, they got one as a gift. (But you had to re - roll endlessly :lol: )

You know, I think I played this game as well. Its the one where everyone was represented as little ovals with feet, seen from above, right? When you switched from "combat mode" to "party mode" your individual (and colorful) footed ovals were replaced with one giant oval with feet. I always felt like all my characters had squeezed under one big overcoat!

Hey, just found it on the web...

--HarperBrad
Image Image Image

Archonsod

Post by Archonsod » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:47 am

Still got the original CD, both it and the sequel :P

Sylphosaurus

Post by Sylphosaurus » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:41 am

Were the Megatraveller games any decent and would you still consider them to be playable today?

Tzar Alexej III.

Post by Tzar Alexej III. » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:50 am

... yeah, also played Traveller P&P with friends around 20 years ago ... damn we needed hours for some fights on the planets and most of the time, I killed (I was the GM) 1-2 in a battle as they thought they are Heros like in D&D ... fighting against a Police Patrol with Cruiser Support and didn't gave up when already spotted and they thought they could get away ... hiding against onboard electronic scout system, needed only 5% to roll to uncover every move ... so most of the time, we spent with rerolling chars :-) and calculating flight pathes and fights ...

and yes also played that Megatraveller and ALL other roundbased CRPG the last 25 years... but think, now special, when you already have played them, you couldn't play it anymore ... I tried it with Fallout 1 (but just when I have seen something, I remembered how it was ... so boring and also graphics are looking terrible at a 22" TFT monitor with 1400x1050 :-) or HDTV ...
maybe if you never have played it and also enjoy MOBILE, N-Gear or DS Games ... YES try it, it could be terrible fun ...

Scavinger

Post by Scavinger » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:52 pm

I "played" Traveller back in the 80's, but yeah, as a kid, the idea of paying off the mortgage on your ship was a downer. Too much like work instead of adventuring.

I'll be happy as long as North Star doesn't pay so much homage to Traveller that your character can die during character creation. That was always a laugh.

Return to “NorthStar General Discussion”