North Star--echoes of Traveller?

Have OmniCrate™, will travel the stars.
Asmodeous

Re: North Star--echoes of Traveller?

Post by Asmodeous » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:52 pm

Mecron wrote:The odds of any kerberos product referring to anythng Trek PAST the original series is very close to zero :wink:

So what you're saying here is that I can trust that Kerberos has actual taste and knows good ST when they see it?

I like you guys better every day.

Me.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:18 pm

A shame... I thought the new trek movie had some good things to refer to in it!! :P

SpardaSon21

Post by SpardaSon21 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:44 pm

Yeah, especially the new ST's use of phasers as PD. I liked that.

Titan Duke

Post by Titan Duke » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:25 pm

The trouble with Star Trek is the bizarre time-jumping that they thought was cool ...

It got over the top in Voyager, and just got worse with Enterprise (which I found nearly unwatchable, especially when you can point to Andromeda and pick the bits Enterprise stole ... yes, yes I know they are both Roddenberry).

Unfortunately, it made an appearance in the new ST as well ...

Bottom line, whichever Timeline you use, someone will complain its not canon, except for the original series (which, annoyingly, also had a few time travel events in).

It's not a big whinge, I AM a huge ST fan, and the new movie was surprisingly good ... its just the time travel seems a far too easy 'storyline problem resolver' ... similar to Bobby Ewings Dream Shower Scene for an entire season (I think).

That was quite a meandering post ... sorry :oops:

TD
Bugger, Another Brain Fart !

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:04 pm

And if you pay attention you will not my comment was from BEFORE the new movie released :P (which yes I thought, especially compared with the last 5 or 6 movies, was great)

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:29 pm

Bah...the only good thing in all of ST are Kirk and Picard (and Spock and Data).

I'm so glad NS is more down to earth and realistic and normal. ST technobabble goes on my nerves.
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

U.E.D.C.

Post by U.E.D.C. » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:00 pm

To trek or not to trek..... Ah screw it give me plenty o' firefly references.
Seriously though we can't have an awesome game without Mal, Wash, and Jaine types. Dinosaurs on the flight deck man!
Mecron wrote:"Hah! We rule the earth!!! Space is stupid anyway!"

equilibrium=death

Post by equilibrium=death » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:51 pm

I never got to play the original traveller though i do have the newest traveller released by mongoose. The only problem i ever had with the traveller system was the method of increasing skills. To me it always ended up making me want to start a character with only 2 terms under his belt so that my former experience didnt force me to take so much down time to improve my skills. I love the trade system though. I've actually modified it for my alternity campaigns.

As far as the new Star Trek is concerned I didnt really mind the time jumping. Thats what will let them explore the original characters through a more modern viewpoint. I look froward to watching Spock evolve as a character in a universe where his race was nearly wiped out by romulans. Do you think he will eventually work towards reuniting them with the vulcan race in this timeline? The time jumping thing is a little "Deus ex machina" but they've had nearly omnipotent elder species in every series of star trek so far.So any fan of the series should be used to arbitrary alterations to both reality and the timeline. I will say that making Enterprise into just a holodeck program was infuriating. It made me ask myself why i bothered to watch the series in the first place.

I could go on forever, but this is not a Star Trek forum so I'll wrap it up. Best wishes to kerberos as they develop SOTS2 and i look forward to any and all projects they decide to pursue. :thumbsup:

long_fella

Post by long_fella » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:13 am

This thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Traveller was far and away the best sci-fi pen and paper RPG out there. A lot like Runequest, it required a bit more work than D&D.

The character creation system was awesome :-).

I've picked up on lots of Traveller memes in the various discussions about N*, and mentioned it a couple of times myself, but it's good to see so many people with fond memories of it :-).

Will the Great

Post by Will the Great » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:09 am

equilibrium=death wrote:I will say that making Enterprise into just a holodeck program was infuriating. It made me ask myself why i bothered to watch the series in the first place.

Interesting trivia: Apparently, Braga later admitted in an interview that the Enterprise finale was a huge mistake and he wished it hadn't been written that way. :?

I wonder if that was code for "Rick Berman made me do it".

Return to “NorthStar General Discussion”