Diehard Gamer FZ interview

Send... more... paramedics...

Moderator: Erinys

Meat

Re: Diehard Gamer FZ interview

Post by Meat » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:03 am

Alright, here's a question or two. How much stuff are you able to bring back to your fort? With you and 3 sidekicks you could stuff a fair amount of dry food goods in backpacks and such, but what about larger items like weapons or other supplies? Is there some way to increase the amount you can carry, like a wheelbarrow or something? I'm also assuming most motorized vehicles are useless due to lack of gas, but I'm also not too sure due to pictures like this.

On a related note, what is the inventory system like? I'm assuming being able to carry a dozen high powered weapons is out of the question, so will it be a 1 main gun/ 1 sidearm / 1 melee / 1 throwing, type of deal? Also, does the weight of items carried slow you down at all?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:53 am

what you dont see is that firetruck is effectively pinned. And to be honest, if you could make a wagon train of toy wagon, the zombies would have to be fairly light in order for that to be wise. Your backpack is "sensible gamesize". Which means its somewhat tesseractish but not ridiculous like say a Diablo backpack :P You can stuff 2 or 3 rifles into it but since you cant shoot all of them at once I am not sure that your room isnt better spent with one rifle and some ammo.
And yes, it wouldn't be a hunt and gather RPG without encumberance :thumbsup:

Meat

Post by Meat » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:13 am

Good to hear, good to hear.

But of course, questions beget questions! So here's more!

About the wagon train, I'm guessing you are saying there are too many zombies around to make it worthwhile? That's why I was thinking wheelbarrow, because you can actually move at a good clip with one, just in more or less a straight line. I was actually imagining little gameplay scenes where you dash into a building looking for supplies while your sidekicks guard the wheelbarrow stash. Or another where you are running from one of those football zombies who just wants to knock the wheelbarrow over. Or your stuff having been flung out all over the street by said zombie, having to decide between taking the time to gather all your supplies back up again, or run from an approaching group of zombies attracted by the noise.

But it's your game, so I won't complain if it's not there:)

Stuffing lots of rifles in your backpack would make sense if your people back at the fort didn't have enough. So I'm guessing it's a grid style system? With different items taking up different amounts?

For encumbrance, does it start slowing you down immediately? Or is there some magic number that makes you go slower after a certain carrying weight?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:21 am

sometimes the best idea is to keep it simple...people understand the term max weight in terms of repercussions much better than gradually slowing down.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:40 am

Mecron wrote:of what?

Pre-zombie apocalypse character profession. How many are there to choose from? What are they?

PA teacher? Archeologists? Soldier? Police officer? Shopkeeper? Politician (I can only immagine this having any use if it's a gun lobbyst)? Trucker? Etc...
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Post by Eleahen » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:28 am

About sidekick AI. Could you give us example of what they can do besides shooting zombies?

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:17 am

Erm...run away?
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:47 pm

Surivors can indeed run away, fight, search for containers, loot containers and give you some interesting pieces of info.

And there are currently 6 templates for you to choose from.

angrysquirrel

Post by angrysquirrel » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:58 am

Meat wrote:Ah, "supplies critical at any given moment". That triggered a memory of a most awesome game, System Shock 2. Ammo was such a resource in the game, and you had to plan routes depending on how many/what type of foes you expected to cross along the way.

Everything about this game is sounding better by the moment, and I wasn't even that big of a fan in the first place. Now I'm patiently waiting to order.

Oh yes, system shock 2. That was a scary freakin game. I remember either being out of ammo or having my shotgun jam on me. There was this one zombie looking for me. He's in the hallway and I am in a tiny room just outside of the hallway behind a barrier, hoping he doesn't see me. Intense times. I believe it was on the level where you find out who really was helping you out during the game. ;)

Anyway, the feeling with FZ is similar in the sense that you don't have a ton of ammo and you hide out because you 1. don't want to use your ammo up until the final battle 2. don't want a gruesome injury that will affect you for later missions.

Return to “Fort Zombie”