So...

Send... more... paramedics...

Moderator: Erinys

Nightshade

Re: So...

Post by Nightshade » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:23 am

angrysquirrel wrote:If that's concept art for FZ 2 I'll be happy regardless of what the ultimate graphics look like. But if they get close to that level of detail it's going to be unbelievable. Not sure if I like the idea of some kind of evil dead boss zombie though. Guess we'll see how things turn out. I really like how FZ turned out even with the team AI being a bit wonky. :)

In my discussion with Arinn a while back, it was pretty clear that the FZ universe is perfectly capable of having zombies that have evolved into something else. Its really a quasi-Lovecraftian setting when you get down to it, and as such zombies are just the tip of the iceberg.

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:33 am

Also interestingly enough it was implied that evolution can happen to the humans as well. In a way it is a colliding and distortion of realities with human spirit as the real weapon; physics can't be relied upon to the same degree.

Who knows what people would look like after a few decades of standing up to the rot? Eventually they might not even need bullets anymore :P

Nightshade

Post by Nightshade » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Certainly the Witch makes it pretty clear that magic is coming back, and that she's not going to be the only person who can use it.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:13 am

Indeed not. ;)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Nick7532

Post by Nick7532 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:40 pm

Is FZ 2 a thing that is going to happen? I am asking because I love the game's concept and want to see it remade with a bit more care and compassion than this.

angrysquirrel

Post by angrysquirrel » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:40 pm

I'd love to see a sequel to FZ also and I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Nobody has gotten the formula as close as I want it except you folks. You did a great job keeping a lot of tension in the game. Balancing resources. Survival elements. The concern of taking a stealthy approach vs. going loud and wasting ammo. Thinking about "do I have enough ammo for the final mission?" The trap system worked more or less (more comic relief than any effectiveness IMO). Hoping to find a "special" survivor. Thinking, "do I want to go on one more supply run and risk going into a zone at dusk...or god forbid nightime?" If the mission loaded at dusk I aborted the game. Too many zombies. Searching. Wondering if I can finish a search before the zombies catch up to me. Wondering if I can roll the nuclear weapon mission with the S load of weapons in the graveyard.

Now I've been playing SOD alot. Snapped it up in beta. The game is nice but I still like FZ better. The role playing / relationship portion I could do without. I watch the Walking Dead and I get enough of that crap every Sunday. :)

What FZ needs is a tune up on the AI. Dump a lot more stuff in there. More things for characters to tweak. Barricade types (metal, wood, reinforced concrete). More stats for characters. (stealth, hearing..etc.). Just keep what you have in there and add more stuff into it. I start to think like you folks sat down before development and said, "okay we don't have a lot of money to do this. But what CAN we do with our time and budget? What kind of crappy games about zombies have we seen and what can we do to make one better?"

I mean I can play a game without great graphics. I'm all about the game play. Look at games like Jagged alliance (the orginal and UB - not the POS that came out recently). Crapload of weapons, armor, camo gear, night vision goggles, repair kits, lock pick kits, penetration values, stats, detection rates (sight and sound). Point values for aiming, sniping, semi - full auto, blast radius, c4, blow a door. Then special character traits. could go on and on.

Kind of off topic, but I'm just wondering as a developer why so many indie game developers put out a great game then then freaking blow their IP up by making a sequel NOTHING like the original, thereby completely alienating their audience base? I know sometimes a publisher uses a different developer and the publisher doesn't give a rats.... about the IP. They're all about making a quick buck. Seen it happen with hitman series with that new POS they put out. Then x-com goes arcade for the dumb masses. And now egosoft freaking blows themselves up by making a completely different game then what their fanbase wanted. Just horrible. Anyway, I've got a lot of respect for you folks. You stick your necks out and make some truly cool, smart games that you'd ever see if you were absorbed by a company like Activision or EA.

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for a FZ2. :)
There are hundreds of them out there, thousands, a million of them! You stick your head in the sun they're gonna come up behind you and bite off your ass!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:13 am

"want to see it remade with a bit more care and compassion than this."

For the record, the 6 people who went without sleep for months pounding out that lil experimental game and bled supporting it for free for months after, REALLY cringe at little assumptions like this.

Nightshade

Post by Nightshade » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Mecron wrote:"want to see it remade with a bit more care and compassion than this."

For the record, the 6 people who went without sleep for months pounding out that lil experimental game and bled supporting it for free for months after, REALLY cringe at little assumptions like this.

For what its worth, Mecron, much as I've occasionally critiqued elements of FZ, I never had the sense that you guys didn't give FZ care. It always just seemed like "Just not enough resources (including time) to apply to get the job done quite right." Which is hardly unknown in the video games industry.

Heck, I've seen AAA titles that were far more borked up with far less reason.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:08 pm

it was a highly experimental title that pushed the limits of a lot of engine tech...and was priced accordingly...folks need to remember that at the time it came out, its price was remarkably cheap.

Nick7532

Post by Nick7532 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:15 am

Well, maybe I was a bit quick to judge, I didn't know all the details. But I agree with squirrel, the graphics are fine. Actually, I like it. The graphics give it a more cartoony feel and make the game more fun for me at least. It needs a newer engine and better AI and it will be perfect, it runs with an amazing concept but falls short of what it could have been as a real game

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:21 am

Nick7532 wrote:...falls short of what it could have been as a real game

I'd quit while you're ahead, were I you.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:29 am

lol

Nightshade

Post by Nightshade » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:50 pm

Mecron wrote:it was a highly experimental title that pushed the limits of a lot of engine tech...and was priced accordingly...folks need to remember that at the time it came out, its price was remarkably cheap.

As I recall you guys also found some counterintuitive results from (was it Physix?) where the game sometimes ran better on worse machines than better ones.

But yeah, I've often commented that for all its warts, I've never gotten more playtime out of a $10 game.

Nick7532

Post by Nick7532 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:50 pm

Tough freaking crowd, god damn. Say one wrong thing and people crucify you for it. I said the concept could have worked better if it was a full on game developed by a whole company. As far as I know, FZ was an engine test so few resources were allocated to it.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:08 pm

lol Ummm I think you could only consider the response a crucifixion if nerf nails were being used. This was more taking a minor exception to word usage. And yes if the game had the budget of dead island it would have been much, much more polished ;)

Return to “Fort Zombie”