Zombie Fatigue

Send... more... paramedics...

Moderator: Erinys

Cpt. Awesome

Zombie Fatigue

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:06 pm

Is it possible that there is "seemingly" negligible amounts of zombie fatigue in the gaming industry? After E3, there seems to be no shortage of upcoming "zombie games" in development.

Do you think this is due to the fact that no one has really yet satisfied via gameplay mechanics all the aspects of a zombie apocalypse that people find so engaging? Or that most gamers don't ever get tired of mowing down hoards of zombies?

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Zombie Fatigue

Post by Mecron » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:09 pm

its a bubble...it will pop as soon as the level of innovation drops. Games like Dead Island are literally being protected by games like the Arma mod.

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:11 pm

Thanks for making it clear to me that I was really asking a more general question of "what makes ANY game type go stale" (lack of innovation).

Some times you only realize how obvious the answer is once you deconstruct the question a bit :P I'll be sure to counter argue some of my friends that they're probably just tired of the gameplay in zombies games and not so much the setting.

Although I suppose it is still valid for some people to get zombie fatigue from an aesthetic/setting point of view. Not unlike FPS games transitioning from WW2 to Modern Era to Sci-Fi, while maintaining essentially 99% same gameplay.

SonicSoneditFZ

Post by SonicSoneditFZ » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Mecron wrote:its a bubble...it will pop as soon as the level of innovation drops. Games like Dead Island are literally being protected by games like the Arma mod.

Very true.
Another reason is it was a while since a good zombie-survival dedicated game was made. It's actually a reason why Arma mod appeared. RE turned into generic shooter after Veronica, afterall. L4D is a great game, but it's a shooter, too.

Return to “Fort Zombie”