Ranged combat, hitboxes

Send... more... paramedics...

Moderator: Erinys

halberdsturgeon

Ranged combat, hitboxes

Post by halberdsturgeon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:33 am

Is there a trick to headshotting very tall zombies reliably or is it always a crapshoot? I waste so much ammunition trying to down these guys, and my survivor gunners seem stymied by them as well. Even if I kneecap them and then try to shoot them in the head while they're on the ground, the game registers direct shots to their head as a miss. The only technique that seems halfway reliable is shooting into their neck region, but this only seems to work consistently when their head is lowered.

Nightshade

Re: Ranged combat, hitboxes

Post by Nightshade » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:23 pm

As far as I can tell, the simulation thinks they're normal height, so the best you can do is aim as though they were the height of other zombies. But yeah, its hit or miss. Fortunately, its only really an issue with the football zeds.

halberdsturgeon

Post by halberdsturgeon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:42 am

Football zombies are the only zombies I don't have trouble with when they're very tall, because they lower their head to charge and can be easily headshotted when they do so. It's practically impossible to headshot most of the other zombie models when they're tall, unless they're using the lurch animation that makes their head bob up and down.

Nightshade

Post by Nightshade » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:57 pm

Well, honestly, it never seemed that difficult to me if you can line up your camera view right. It can be hard to do in some circumstances, but its only a big deal with handguns anyway, and some of the bigger ones will knock a zombie down at which point you just pop the head off once they're on the ground.

But doing the "clear the base" missions, backing away while aiming at head height almost always does the job (presuming the character has decent gun skill that is; I've seen people forget that where you put the crosshairs isn't the only part of the calculation in FZ).

halberdsturgeon

Post by halberdsturgeon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:53 am

Weapon type makes absolutely no difference whatsoever for me. The problem appears to be that the models are frequently scaled up to a point where the hitbox is buried wholly inside of them. It's worse with some models than others - trucker zombies are some of the worst, they range in scale from 1.1 to 1.3, and the biggest ones can't be headshot while they're standing upright no matter what you do. Anyway, I fixed it myself by lowering the maximum scale values in zombiedb.xns. Not ideal, but I doubt it's possible to make hitboxes scale properly.

Nightshade

Post by Nightshade » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:20 am

The kicker is with guns bigger than handguns, it doesn't really matter where you shoot exactly; you can blow out the central torso perfectly fine, so there's really no desperate need to worry about headshots.

Return to “Fort Zombie”