There's still life in the ol' girl yet....

Send... more... paramedics...

Moderator: Erinys

Grapthor24

There's still life in the ol' girl yet....

Post by Grapthor24 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:27 pm

The other day I had the urge to blow the dust off my copy of FZ and jump back into Piety and a thought crossed my mind. Has anyone in 'control' thought about trying to get FZ on steam? I probably know nothing of profits and cuts with a publisher, if that's even the right term, like steam but lets face it the game seems to be dead and 'crated'. However maybe, just maybe, some fresh exposure at a reduced rate, steam sales seem to be VERY popular, this game might just be brought back. I don't expect so much to finally see a 1.8 but I'm hoping it might generate some interest in a FZ 2. The gameplay is so very solid, with a new engine and a real financial, push Kerberos studios could already be sitting on a major title, especially theses days when everyones into the zombie craze. Anyway, just a thought and while I do enjoy the sword of the stars series, especially the pit, it's time to switch focus in another direction right? Come on... you know you want to.... dooooooet. All the cool devs are....

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: There's still life in the ol' girl yet....

Post by Erinys » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:28 pm

Still a lot of zombie love around here, for certain. :) Totally Kerberos-owned, Kerberos-developed zombie apocalypse game? Sounds pretty awesome to me! :twisted:

But I do agree with you that there was a lot to love about the design of the original Fort Zombie. Not a perfect game by any means, but there was definitely fun and challenge. The engine not so great, but the artists were really damned heroic in the hours they poured into giving us a million little things to build the town and make all the locations. Mecron brought some really great ideas to the table, there were a lot of fun mechanics, and I was pretty happy with the universe I built for it, too.

It was one of those times in my gaming work where I really felt like I was doing something different from the rest of the crowd. I loved our version of the Zombie Apocalypse. And I seemed to be getting the story across pretty well. Some players really seemed to get what Ben Reilly was about, and identify with him. It was even better when they could identify with the characters in the town as people worth saving.

It was pretty cool when they gave them nicknames like "Granny Headshots". 8)

So it was an important game for me as a writer and an associate designer, even if the players weren't always paying attention to the story I was telling with the charred corpses and wedding rings, the jars of peaches and the messages painted on the walls. :) If we ever do develop an independent franchise to play zombie apocalypse survival again, we definitely will not fix what was not broken about this little experimental game.

Just want to do some things better. :love:

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Nightshade

Post by Nightshade » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:30 pm

For what its worth, Arinn, I always thought the backstory of FZ was interesting. I do think some people didn't like it because supernatural zombies don't seem to be what the zompoc gamer is into, and FZ is kind of counter-nihilistic, which tends to be at the opposite end of where a lot of zompoc fans are coming from, but I thought it was refreshing. And its one of the very few zompoc settings I'd run a face-to-face rpg in for just that reason.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:31 pm

They could always chop it down for their Romero Mod. ;)

As to the counter-nihilism? Yeah, I see your point that some players are not ready for it. But since I am not a friend to the Rot and not inclined to feed it in others--I'm kinda stuck with what I can do. :P

And a pen-and-paper zombie roleplaying game sounds like fun, Mr. Nightshade! I like that idea.

We should add some special GM rules. :twisted:

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Nightshade

Post by Nightshade » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Erinys wrote:They could always chop it down for their Romero Mod. ;)

Yeah, but they have to like enough of what they see to stick around long enough to do that. There's enough people who are either heavily traditionalist at one end not to do that.

As to the counter-nihilism? Yeah, I see your point that some players are not ready for it. But since I am not a friend to the Rot and not inclined to feed it in others--I'm kinda stuck with what I can do. :P

But there you are.

And a pen-and-paper zombie roleplaying game sounds like fun, Mr. Nightshade! I like that idea.

We should add some special GM rules. :twisted:

--Arinn

While it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice these days, it would be rather easy to port it to the BRP (BasicRoleplaying) rules (originally evolved for the game Runequest and used in various degrees of stripped-down state for a variety of licensed products including the Elric games and the Call of Cthuhlhu RPG), since that's a percentile based game with equivalents of all the attributes, and at least in some forms has hit locations.

The three things I'd feel a need to add to get the feel of the setting (and how I understand some of the metaphysics to work) would be:

1. A set of rules for how Rot sets in (and possibly looking at whether you need to modify it for PCs); clearly the computer game does have such a mechanic, but its essentially opaque from the outside. It clearly interacts with morale and how much damage you take, but its not clear in exactly what way (and a morale rating for PCs could be--tricky);

2. You'd probably want some kind of special ability purchase scheme to represent things like the Key abilities (and include Ben's apparent ability to multitask in a way others can't in this--he may also have some impact on morale but there's no way to tell since that's the default state of the game);

3. A system for modifying the local state of Deadworld intrusion depending on success or failure of human endevors, and some mechanical effects of that state. Its not entirely clear from the game how localized that is in FZ, but its probably better to have there be some localized effects, as this does two things: Allows you to see the meaning of your actions, and allows there to be pockets of better and worse places (with the former giving you a place to have strongholds of humanity where the latter can be a spawning ground for--worse things. Things we don't see in the game as-is but are kind of implied by Fam La's continued mutation of the world into something more to its liking.

If I ever have a group I think will appreciate it properly, I may take a stab at it.

Return to “Fort Zombie”