Fort Zombie Sequel? Anybody? Bueller?

Send... more... paramedics...

Moderator: Erinys

angrysquirrel

Post by angrysquirrel » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:03 pm

Hi guys. Tonight I was thinking about this game and thought I'd pop in to see if there were any announcements for anther Fort Zombie game. Sadly, I see nothing in the works. I own just about every survival horror zombie game out there. The biggest right now that I own is 7 Days to Die and Project Zomboid. Honestly, your game is better. I know the game is ugly as heck. I know the AI is wonky. But what you guys did was really captured the feel and intensity of surviving in a zombie apocalypse. It's freaking scary as crap, especially when the game time night comes. I go back to my fort for sure when that happens. I can't think of a single horror game that's made me feel dread except for this one. Okay, maybe the original System Shock but that's it. :)

So what's the scoop with this title? Have you guys thought about it and decided against it? Do you think you wouldn't get your money back if you put time into developing it? Are you guys too busy on other projects? Do you think the fan base just isn't there?

I'd hate to see your company stop making great games like this. People like you have original ideas, a vision, and time and money. I don't think you'd need a ton of money to develop the game. You already have the tools. I know though. Time invested in this game is time off other projects. So in the end it is money.

Enough ranting for now. Sufficient to say you guys were geniuses with Fort Zombie and I hope you make another one. If you do I will spread the word like wildfire to help get your game noticed and help you recoup your development costs.
There are hundreds of them out there, thousands, a million of them! You stick your head in the sun they're gonna come up behind you and bite off your ass!

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Fort Zombie Sequel? Anybody? Bueller?

Post by Mecron » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:33 pm

Actually our old friends at paradox are currently blocking this from ever happening.

angrysquirrel

Post by angrysquirrel » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:34 pm

Freaking Paradox! Unbelievable. I thought those guys were supposed to be supportive of indie developers. I'm not buying any more games from them then. Thanks for that info!

Is there any way you guys could make a game like Fort Zombie but just not call it that? You could take the basic idea and expand on it. Fort Zombie was a good base, but there is so much more that could be done to make it even more amazing than it already is. :)

It would seem fair game to me. Good example is that we have some developers making War for the Overworld (an obvious Dungeon Keeper clone) even though they don't hold the rights to Dungeon Keeper (I believe EA owns the rights to the game).

If they have you guys over a barrel in a legal sense and have your hands tied, what can I do to help you guys out with Paradox so that you can make it possible? What can I and other Fort Zombie fans do to help? Should we get a petition going? Maybe contact someone at Paradox Corporate to voice our displeasure?
There are hundreds of them out there, thousands, a million of them! You stick your head in the sun they're gonna come up behind you and bite off your ass!

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:52 pm

And I thought part of Kerberos standard contract with devs like paradox is that Kerberos retains all ip rights...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:22 pm

ip and publishing rights are 2 different animals as we have come to know.

angrysquirrel

Post by angrysquirrel » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:50 pm

Mecron, please let me know what me and other Fort Zombie fans can do to help you guys out. It is infuriating to know that Paradox is blocking your company from making a sequel.

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:58 pm

angrysquirrel wrote:It would seem fair game to me. Good example is that we have some developers making War for the Overworld (an obvious Dungeon Keeper clone) even though they don't hold the rights to Dungeon Keeper (I believe EA owns the rights to the game).

Game mechanics are not something that can be copyrighted or owned. That's why its completely fine to make games with same mechanics. However if we look at your example of "War for the Overworld", although I haven't played it, I bet you anything they did not clone the story or monsters unique to DK series such as the horned reaper, bile demon or dark mistress. So anything other than generic "goblins, skeletons, vampires etc.." are not carried over.

So no legal issues stopping ANYONE from cloning Fort Zombie gameplay, however, you will not be seeing a continuation of the same story world without the people who own such things signing off on it.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:53 pm

Story concepts are also very difficult to copyright. If it was possible to copyright the concept of a fortified position versus zombie onslaught story, Fort Zombie would have had to be licensed as a Dawn of the Dead spin-off.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:39 am

Erinys wrote:Story concepts are also very difficult to copyright. If it was possible to copyright the concept of a fortified position versus zombie onslaught story, Fort Zombie would have had to be licensed as a Dawn of the Dead spin-off.

--Arinn

So... What is stopping Kerberos from making a new game, in the same universe, but calling it something else?

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:11 am

zanzibar196 wrote:
Erinys wrote:Story concepts are also very difficult to copyright. If it was possible to copyright the concept of a fortified position versus zombie onslaught story, Fort Zombie would have had to be licensed as a Dawn of the Dead spin-off.

--Arinn

So... What is stopping Kerberos from making a new game, in the same universe, but calling it something else?

Nothing is stopping them except the legal risk depending how similar some elements are in the story; functionally this means if they outright say it is a direct sequel and all the names are the same, that may be too high of a risk. That's why you may hear terms such as "spiritual successor" thrown about instead.

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:36 pm

Good. Let's get her done!

Return to “Fort Zombie”