Modability of Fort Zombie

Otreum

Modability of Fort Zombie

Post by Otreum » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:24 am

Hi, this is a question directed at the developers, but also if anybody has done any modding or even tweaking before to point out if the game has any sort of modability in it's current version.

Why I want to know this, is there are apparently quite things which I have noticed from reading around the feedback that could probably fixed up pretty easily provided the game had decent modability.
I don't have the game yet, however i'd like to think I am able to make mods and fixes for the game.

So if the devs could answer this, it'd be great.
I do recall reading somewhere that the engine will be highly modable, but i'm not too sure to what extent (other than "highly").

Paul

Re: Modability of Fort Zombie

Post by Paul » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:59 am

I'm not sure how modable it is on a larger scale, but I looked over the files and it IS possible to edit the xml based ones - like what stats you get at start and such. It works, but I'm staying away from it until later so that I know any bugs I find are real bugs and not stuff I screwed up on in editing.

Otreum

Post by Otreum » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:36 am

Paul wrote:I'm not sure how modable it is on a larger scale, but I looked over the files and it IS possible to edit the xml based ones - like what stats you get at start and such. It works, but I'm staying away from it until later so that I know any bugs I find are real bugs and not stuff I screwed up on in editing.

Thats why it's always a good idea to back up files and folders before editing.

I tend to just copy paste the whole directory to a backup folder and go hell for leather, I don't really ever need a backup folder however, as I always have that mental note of what i've just modified, etc, etc.

XML files might have some little things to fix up and change in them but generally they aren't really used for the kindof fixes i'm talking about, such as the camera placement, and the camera system they have in place in the game right now (which is aweful).

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:19 am

I'm not sure if that stuff is possible to mod either. But I meant that I'm staying away from it because I don't want to get a bug and have to wonder if it was my tinkering with the files or a genuine concern. I always back up files before I edit them, but you could still get a bug that's hard to repeat and not know whether or not it was your doing or not.

I don't really have a problem with the camera. It has a few clipping issues here and there but the placement is nice. I just zoom in so it's like any other third person game. There are a few aiming issues with the camera still to be ironed out, but just as far as the camera position and the way it rotates using the RMB it feels fine to me.

Otreum

Post by Otreum » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:35 am

Personally i'd like to just try and make the game First person, and eliminate the crappy camera and aiming all together :P

It's getting tiresome seeing good concepts done in 3rd person mode when they'd be far better in first person mode.

Anyway, as for the bug thingo you're talking about. Just take one step at a time and note the changes you make, if you've edited a file like crazy and you don't think you can restore it to a better spot, then simply get the backup file and replace it, starting from scratch again.

But as a general rule, always do things one small step at a time unless you know exactly what you edited and actually remember what you edited.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:23 am

as a general rule of thumb if you think its easy to go from third to first you really don't understand all the issues yet. :thumbsup:

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:55 am

Otreum wrote:Anyway, as for the bug thingo you're talking about. Just take one step at a time and note the changes you make, if you've edited a file like crazy and you don't think you can restore it to a better spot, then simply get the backup file and replace it, starting from scratch again.

But as a general rule, always do things one small step at a time unless you know exactly what you edited and actually remember what you edited.

I do the same thing. I've been a pretty rampant modder on most games I play, so making backups and taking things one step at a time are pretty familiar things. I'm still staying away from modding this one at the moment though :) If I see a bug at this point I just want to know for a fact that its not from me messing with the game. I'm not talking about crash bugs and stuff that is obviously apparent - but small things that might pop up on a particular situation and be hard to replicate. If something like that came up and I had been modifying the game I couldn't in good conscience report it, since it might be from my edits. Plus I kind of like to enjoy the games in the spirit that they were made, at least for a little while, before I start changing things.

Otreum

Post by Otreum » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:49 am

Mecron wrote:as a general rule of thumb if you think its easy to go from third to first you really don't understand all the issues yet. :thumbsup:

Oh I don't think that part is easy at all, but I would certainly love it if we could have a 1st person view rather than 3rd person.

Or at least fix what looks to be a clunky aiming system (if I find it difficult to get used to).

Right now I have no idea what would be easy and what wouldn't be, as I don't have the game yet (I wish I did :( ) and I remember reading somewhere that the engine would be easy to make mods for, so I was hoping that the devs could elaborate on just how mod-able the game is.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:25 am

I still haven't gotten FZ, but once I do, the first think I'll sink my teeth into will be the models. I plan on adding MHOAR WEAPNZ!!!

I plan to add THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1j ... _embedded#

And THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHYrQXTK0gg

And THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzPpqj5x ... re=related

And THIS:
http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn56-e.htm

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

Windexglow

Post by Windexglow » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:27 pm

I don't have the game yet (and could be weeks till I do) but I've always wanted to make a zombie survival and it's either going to be this game, or Starcraft2.

How are levels formed? Are they just random blocks thrown together, with the blocks having premade houses on them?
How much scripting can we do? Can we replace the old spawn system with a new one? Or are we limited to merely changing values?
Are houses a single model, or lots of smaller pieces put together ingame (Which seems more like it)

Trithne

Post by Trithne » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:23 pm

First person ewww.

Really, I find the best viewpoint for moving around outside is a couple of notches down from maximum zoom. gives you enough forward vision to see where you're headed, but enough rear and peripheral vision to not get blindsided too badly. First-person would just be asking to get murdered.

My only gripe with the camera is it doesn't always stay in that point while outside. Fences force it down, and the camera doesn't look through the fence while doing so, leading to me having a cameraful of fence and nothing much useful. A bit annoying.

VampLena

Post by VampLena » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:09 pm

where are these XML files?

I see alot of possibility for *cough*cheating*cough* applications.

rickb

Post by rickb » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:50 pm

The gob file is just a zip. All the data appears to be wrapped in the XNB fomat used by the XNA libraries. While some of them encode XML files, unfortunately it seems you can't generally edit them without the game barfing on it. I did manage to change one file (the character stats, bumped up the interaction skill to a huge value since it's annoying as hell to go through all the trouble of a rare survivor mission and have the guy reject you half the time even with your interaction jacked up as high as it can go normally) as long as I made sure to not change the total length of the file. I'm not familiar with the XNB format but presumably you'd be able to modify the XNB header or re-export some how to support general editing.
I went to Z'Ha'Dum and all I got was this lousy T-shirt.

VampLena

Post by VampLena » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:15 pm

Thanks! I got all the files extracted, but i was wondering if anyone knows yet if you have to put the edited file back into the gob? or you can just keep the Extracted file names (for example: ...Fort Zombie/fz/config)? Thats usually how alot of games these days are.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:31 pm

Only way I saw to make it work was put them back in. Make sure you back up the file first, though. I played around with it a bit and made a character start with 100 weapon skills and crazy high stats, was funny goofing off with him for a few minutes. A bit too easy, though.

Return to “FZ Modding”