Modability of Fort Zombie

VampLena

Re: Modability of Fort Zombie

Post by VampLena » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:51 pm

is it the "CharacterStatBaseClassDB" file you need to edit to make high stats and skills? Super easy sounds fun to me.

cheeba

Post by cheeba » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:17 pm

An interesting one: config/ai.xnb, which controls the view distances,angles, attack ranges and some other basic reactions of the zombie and survivor AI. Editing it caused a crash though, so I'm certainly doing it wrong (no prior experience with this xna stuff).

And for some basic modding, the 'levels/' folder contains definitions of every particular 'block' of a map, along with the props and sub-objects within it,whether or not the props respond to physics etc. Seems to have settings for numbers and chances of zombies in the area too, lots of interesting stuff.

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:54 pm

The files have to be a certain length of characters or the game will crash due to an unexpected end of file or a statement not being closed due to the last character in the file not being read. I'm not familiar with the XNA stuff either so I don't know where the length of the files is stored or if we can edit it, but as long as you make sure any changes made stay within the same number of characters it should work.

For instance if I wanted to edit the M4 to have 30 ammo (which seems more reasonable to me) It starts at 100. If I change it to 30 it will be 1 character shorter, so it won't work. However, if I add a character anywhere else in the file it will work. This could be a change to another weapon or just adding to something's description by adding in a space.

So I could change the M4 to 30 rounds and the TommyGun to 100 rounds and it would work.

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:46 am

I think a lot of the game files are basically a binary file with human readable text (xml). You probably have to get software (like xna studio or something) to properly edit the files.

I haven't done development in MS based environments in about 1-2 years, this was before XNA came to my attention so I don't know much about it.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

jonkran

Post by jonkran » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:54 am

Hey guys, I have tried to mod the chracter stats with the above method however I always get a crash.

For instance, I did not change thelenght of the file, I only changed let's says Pistol skill for the SOldier class from 25 to 90, so I can have more points in the game to freely distribute them, however this doesnt seem to work for me. I also tried to change 0 to 90 at AvailableSkill points for Soldier class, and deleted one word of that website link, above poster mentioned - no luck either.

Could someone send me his CharacterStatBase file with approx 90 more point in stats & skills for the soldier class :oops:

Also, I have been using the Textpad for editing this file, should I be using something else, because it looks like if only saving the file already messess up the game.

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:29 pm

jonkran wrote:Hey guys, I have tried to mod the chracter stats with the above method however I always get a crash.

For instance, I did not change thelenght of the file, I only changed let's says Pistol skill for the SOldier class from 25 to 90, so I can have more points in the game to freely distribute them, however this doesnt seem to work for me. I also tried to change 0 to 90 at AvailableSkill points for Soldier class, and deleted one word of that website link, above poster mentioned - no luck either.

Could someone send me his CharacterStatBase file with approx 90 more point in stats & skills for the soldier class :oops:

Also, I have been using the Textpad for editing this file, should I be using something else, because it looks like if only saving the file already messess up the game.

fyi you might want to mention if you moded the game (and how), should you get a crash or other error, or even better try to see if you can replicate the crash/error without the mod (ie a new game without the mod). The game is still in the early stages of release (under 1 week old) and the devs are trying to track down some issues right now... extra noise from moded games probably won't help them much. Not informing them that you moded the game could have them chasing a problem that doesn't exist.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Return to “FZ Modding”