Editing the save game time

Paul

Editing the save game time

Post by Paul » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:22 pm

I was goofing off yesterday by editing a savegame back to day 3 repeatedly so I could just treat the game like a zombie shooter. Running out mowing down zombies and gathering ammo to mow down more without worry of the timer. Just as a little experiment. I've been having fun just not worrying about survivors or endgame and just taking out zombies like a one man army.

I'm wondering if this is something relatively safe to do. Are there checks built in that would catch the editing of the time? Systems that depend on the time that would get borked if I change it? I'm editing it to the same time number as a previous save in day 3, and so far it just seems to be treating it like I'm actually going back to day 3 except for the changes in morale and reputation (Man my rep is getting bad, haha).

So far it's been a fun "alternate game mode" :) Soon I'll find me a 7 year old and train them to be the best damn zombie hunting kid ever.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Editing the save game time

Post by Mecron » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:27 pm

It's like a disney movie gone horribly wrong :)

drnemo121

Post by drnemo121 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:52 pm

The family that slays together, stays together.

VampLena

Post by VampLena » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:31 pm

how do you edit your save game? Having more time sounds like it'd be alot of fun, more like a Sandbox mode.

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:06 am

I just opened it with a text editor. They're stored in: "My Documents\Fort Zombie Saved Games" The time is a big number that I didn't bother trying to figure out, but you can just take the number from a previous save and paste it in for the later one in order to time travel. I haven't had any issues with it yet, but you never know. I'm pretty much using it as a sandbox mode to goof around with. I was thinking about going back in time until I find a darn generator. The last two runs I found fuel but couldnt figure out how to get a generator haha. I'm not sure if its a random supply mission that I just haven't seen yet or if I need a special npc... I'm starting to think that maybe it isn't in yet and they are going to patch it in or something.

You can also rename them in order to have named save games. I do that to keep them organized - like a new game I started has Day 1 Reporter Prison, Day 2 Reporter Prison, etc. So if later I want to go back and play that game I can easily find it.

octane

Post by octane » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:39 am

That's an interesting idea. *makes notes*

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:49 pm

I too thought I would fiddle with the save file (got in a mood since fiddling with sots saves), just be aware there are some sanity checks done in FZ... Probably because they are easy to do and part of the object oriented nature of the framework the game was made with.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Return to “FZ Modding”