Early modding info

TrashMan

Re: Early modding info

Post by TrashMan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:34 am

Interesting read, thanks.

I wonder why Kerberos went with XNB format when it's so unmoddable? Unles they supply us with some sort of compiler/decompiler, I can see the FZ modding community dying fast. :cry:
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:44 am

Yea, FZ won't have a very active modding community unless they release the source files for the XNB stuff. I'm hoping that's something that they will do after they're done with all the patching, since it's the only way we could ever get to the meat of the files.

I'm still hopeful since it seems having them in a simple zip file is a step in the direction of making the game modable, so why not go all the way? :)

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:26 am

Maybe I just got spolied wiht the modability of SOTS, but this is somewhat of a letdown.
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:36 pm

A few seconds on google...
http://gruaz.net/?page_id=155

It might not currently work (based on xna 2) but then it might work.

Don't expect the Kerberos folks to release a dedicated editor for xnb files though, xnb files are proprietary microsoft. Sure game making is easy using Visual Studio + XNA but only Visual Studio owners will be able to mod the game much (XNA is free (I think), Visual Studio is NOT).

As near as I can tell xnb files are mostly a wrapper but some of thing things that are wrapped up are darned convenient the way they are wrapped.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:23 pm

As long as I can add new weapons inot the game wihout too much jumping trouhg hoops.

I already got several models ready (curtesy of doing some work on UFO: AI and UFO: Aftermath).
Gah..waiting for the damn credit card so I can finally D/L Fort Zombie is hard.

Otreum

Post by Otreum » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:54 am

Yeah, i'm still waiting for paypal funds to clear, I should be getting cash in there today, the wait is painful :P

Anyway, thanks Janus, it's a nice quick examination of the modability of FZ and should help quite a few people out, well done :)

May I suggest that you format the post a little though, right now it looks like one huge clump of text, try and break it up into paragraphs where you can for easier reading.

As for modding etc, i'm sure Kerberos will release some sortof modding tools for us eventually, and an importer for 3ds max and maya (hopefully maya as I don't use max).

I'd love to add some new buildings, weapons and so on for my own personal use, also maybe some better gibs for the zombies like blowing an arm off would leave fleshy bits hanging off the should and so on :P
I'd also love to add some more audio to the game.

Even if we are just given a map editor of some sort, that would be awesome as people will probably create a whole variety of scenario's.
But at a $10 price point, I wonder just how moddable Kerberos will make FZ.

BTW, it appears as though we need to use a .gob file extractor to extract all the game files from, anybody know of one? I downloaded a .gob file extractor from a lucasarts website as alot of their older games used .gob files, but not a clue how to use it. I'm thinking I have to open the gob.exe and edit it to look for the fz.gob file or something.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:33 am

a .gob is basicly a .zip or .rar. Just re-name the extension and extract

Otreum

Post by Otreum » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:29 am

Oh my mistake, it probably didn't help that I read all of that at 1am with a headache, the gob file part completely evaded my memory -_-

Anyway, I just did a little test as I figured the game will find it easier to access data if it's not all compressed into one .gob file.
So I extracted the fz.gob file to a folder called fz.gob, moved it to a backup folder out of the main directory and the game loads fine (if the folder wasn't named fz.gob it wouldn't recognize it therefore it'd crash before the game started).

When my game gets to a slow point, it tends to get down to the teens, and I mean 11-15fps kindof thing which is gross.
With the files extracted, I didn't really notice a huge difference, however the loading of levels seems to be much MUCH quicker, and I tested the FPS by loading the fort level and not moving my character both with the decompressed fz.gob and noticed that with the fz.gob folder (decompressed .gob files) I got about 2-3fps boost.
That is pretty minor but any fps boost in the teens is a good one.

Kuroji

Post by Kuroji » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:29 pm

Oh hey, this added an extra frame per second for me. :shock: Right now I'm still averaging ten at best, so any frames I can get... all I need is to find a way to convince it to run in a lower resolution despite not being designed for that. Don't think it's going to work though... but this does speed it up slightly since it isn't decompressing those files on the fly anymore.

Of course, the contents of fz.gob are six hundred odd megs, where it's less than half that compressed.

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:31 pm

Thats interesting...
Any reason in particular you guys decided to compress it?
(Or was this a decision made by the D2D sites?)

SotS .gob is not compressed at all, and I was under the impression that was becuase it ran better that way...

Otreum

Post by Otreum » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:17 am

Perhaps they didn't want modders getting their grubby mits on their files right away :lol:

And probably because they wanted to make the download size smaller.

In any case, alot of games compress their files on release and they still run fine. STALKER for example has gamedata files which are compressed, but can be decompressed and by doing so makes the game run a bit smoother as the game doesn't have to decompress on the fly like keroji said.

So if you have winrar, you may aswell just decompress the files and get whatever FPS gain you can, it can't hurt really.

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:41 am

I feel like I posted something along these lines... here... been having internet trouble though, it's not showing up.

Anyway, actually you can (and tend to) see performance benefits from compressing the data and then decompressing on the fly. Hard Drive IO is just about the most expensive operation you can perform these days. CPU power and ram are relatively cheap/abundant but fast non-volatile storage isn't.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:40 am

I have some models ready, it's time to dive into the entrails of the game.

The two are probably a bit too futuristic, but hey :P

Anyone took a look at the model files?
Anything offocial regarding modding from Kerberos yet?

Return to “FZ Modding”