A couple basic config mods.

Paul

A couple basic config mods.

Post by Paul » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:30 am

Here are a few simple config mods I made, and I thought others might enjoy them. If the Kerberos folks don't want mods made just yet, feel free to remove the files - I thought it might be time since the game seems pretty stable now. They are pretty simple changes - just a few altered values in the xnb files.

The Weapons.xnb file has the following changes:
M4 reduced to 30 round capacity
TommyGun increased to 100 round capacity (I did these because it made sense to me - the M4 doesn't look like it's using a 100 round magazine while the TommyGun does).
Broadsword changed to use blades skill (just did it while I was in there as a fix until we get the next patch).

The InventoryItemClassDB.xnb file has the following changes:
5.56 and .45 ACP ammo boxes increased to 30 rounds (was 25)
Cherry preserves reduced to 4 height in inventory (the stretched jar just looked funny to me)
Military rations inventory size changed to 2 width instead of 3 (I liked the way the icon looked in 1.0.2, what can I say?)

The CharacterStatBaseClassDB.xnb file has the following changes:
All characters stat pools increased to a total of 130 points (doctor was already 130, so he is the same).
All characters skill pools increased to a total of 220 in the form of free points to be assigned where desired. Construction worker has 20 free, reporter has 60 free - I just added on the amount needed to make them all have 220 total.

Installation -
First you have to unzip your fz.gob. Put that file in a safe place (I put mine in a folder called Backup in my FZ directory) because you will need it to undo this mod and will most likely have to have it to apply future updates. Then make a new folder where the fz.gob file used to be named fz.gob. After you have that, unzip the entire contents of the fz.gob file into the fz.gob folder - Winzip or 7zip works for this, just open fz.gob as you would a zip file.

After you have your files in the fz.gob folder, you can move the contents of the zip file from here into it. Replace the files as desired (depending on if you want the changes present in the files listed above). Afterwards the changes should be in the game.

NOTE: I haven't yet had any issues by unzipping my fz.gob file or using these edited files, but you never know. If you do experience an issue it's probably a good idea to go back to the regular fz.gob file and make sure it's repeatable and wasn't caused by something you did here.

Uninstallation - Either replace the files you downloaded here with the ones inside the fz.gob file, or just delete the whole fz.gob folder and replace it with the original fz.gob file.

TrashMan

Re: A couple basic config mods.

Post by TrashMan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:01 am

:thumbsup:

You made all the changes I was planing to make anyway.
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

Roadbuster

Post by Roadbuster » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:21 pm

Have you ever tried to carry a Thompson SMG with the 100 round drum? Suckers are HEAVY. Plus TBH if I found a Thompson with the 100 round drum I'd be more likely to leave it behind. Those drums had a horrible tendency to jam every few rounds if everything wasn't perfect. Really my only complaint about the weapons in the game is that they dont have even a single Browning M1911 .45 pistol that I've found, but thats just a personal thing.

The eternal lurker

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:18 pm

I just reversed the M4 and Thompson because it has a drum magazine on the model, but the M4 appears to have a standard 30 round magazine. AFAIK they didn't make 30 round drum magazines, so it didn't make sense to me for a gun modeled with a drum magazine to have only 30 rounds. It could be a 50 round drum, but like I said I just went with 100 as a swap between the M4 and TommyGun. I've seen the guns at museums, but I've never used either gun to know whether or not a 100 round mag is awkward to use or not :). The only guns I've fired have been pistols at shooting ranges.

If the M4 was modeled with one of these: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... _on_M4.jpg (the drum sticks out on both sides) it would make sense to me for it to have 100 rounds, but the model has a standard magazine.

That's my justification for the modification. But as with any mod, if you don't approve you don't have to use it :thumbsup:

Roadbuster

Post by Roadbuster » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:25 pm

Paul wrote:I just reversed the M4 and Thompson because it has a drum magazine on the model, but the M4 appears to have a standard 30 round magazine. AFAIK they didn't make 30 round drum magazines, so it didn't make sense to me for a gun modeled with a drum magazine to have only 30 rounds. It could be a 50 round drum, but like I said I just went with 100 as a swap between the M4 and TommyGun. I've seen the guns at museums, but I've never used either gun to know whether or not a 100 round mag is awkward to use or not :). The only guns I've fired have been pistols at shooting ranges.

If the M4 was modeled with one of these: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... _on_M4.jpg (the drum sticks out on both sides) it would make sense to me for it to have 100 rounds, but the model has a standard magazine.

That's my justification for the modification. But as with any mod, if you don't approve you don't have to use it :thumbsup:

Dont get me wrong, I have zero problem with your mod. Just my inner gun nut rising to make a smart assed comment. I have held a Thompson with the 100 round drum on it, damn thats a lot of weight to swing around. Looks good in old movies but after holding one, no thanks. Now with the standard box mag that were mostly used they are sweet little SMG's, assuming your big enough to handle it. I fired one once but at $100 a mag at the machine gun shoots I doubt I ever will again.

The eternal lurker

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:17 pm

Well, considering the empty gun already weighs about ten and a half pounds with the loaded 30 round magazine weighing in at nearly two pounds I imagine it would be pretty unwieldly even without the larger magazine. Although the big heavy 100 round drum would probably be around five pounds extra. Whew, imagine lugging around a gun that weighs around 17.5-18 pounds? That would make the M4 feel like a toy in comparison.

Roadbuster

Post by Roadbuster » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:27 pm

Paul wrote:Well, considering the empty gun already weighs about ten and a half pounds with the loaded 30 round magazine weighing in at nearly two pounds I imagine it would be pretty unwieldly even without the larger magazine. Although the big heavy 100 round drum would probably be around five pounds extra. Whew, imagine lugging around a gun that weighs around 17.5-18 pounds? That would make the M4 feel like a toy in comparison.

Yeah, even with the 30 round it's a gun for a big guy like me. And I'll stop cluttering up your post here with stuff that really has no bearing on the game. I will be trying your mod out after I get more used to 1.03. 8)

The eternal lurker

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:50 am

Paul wrote:...
Broadsword changed to use blades skill (just did it while I was in there as a fix until we get the next patch).

Assuming this mod is for 1.03... Broadsword should be working properly.
The skill_Broadsword links to the Blades skill in the data files. This means that the broadsword is effected by both the broadsword skill as well as blades skill.

The Katana seems broken though - There is a skill for the katana (skill_Katana) which is not used. If it were then Katana would benefit from both Katana skill and blades skill as broadsword does now.

There is no skill_Fireaxe btw so direct link to blades seems correct.

The fire axe is the (slightly) better blade (between broadsword and fire axe)... Katana is about 2x better.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:44 am

Yes, this is for 1.0.3. Have you actually tried the broadsword in game? Like Janus said, the skill_broadsword is bugged. It raises clubs. I reported it in the tech support forum, but until next patch I just made it use base blades skill like the fire axe and katana. I assume the katana skill is probably bugged too, which would be a good reason why katana is set to base blades skill too. I haven't tried it, though.

As far as the fire axe and katana being better than the broadsword, how do you figure? I deal consistently more damage with the broadsword than with either the katana or the fire axe. Now granted the Katana seems to have some rapid animations in it, but I always wind up getting stuck doing that one slow spin flip thing repeatedly - the one that's even slower than the broadsword.

Looking at the actual numbers (since this IS the modding section) the broadsword is 3d6+1, katana is 2d6 +3, fire axe is 1d6 +4. So broadsword does 4-19, katana 5-15, fire axe 5-11. That's average damages of 11.5, 10, and 7.5. The katana might be a bit better if you get off the rapid swings, but on a hit by hit basis the broadsword is going to do slightly more. In any case, the fire axe is just outclassed by both. I'm not sure where you got the idea that the broadsword was the worst one...

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:46 am

strange... I had used the broadsword as well as a club class item and a blade item (katana) in one day (actually my double day). I hadn't used katana much nor the club item but did use the broadsword quite a notch... blade went up pretty quick though so it seemed to be working.

Some days later, no more blade going up, all clubs so yeah, I see it now as well.

As to how I got that broadsword worse weapon... apparently looking at the wrong weapon. I don't know which weapon I was looking at (don't remember the number) but yeah, broadsword is top, quite nicely.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:32 am

Axe should be high damage, but slow swing speed, as in real life. With the center of mass near the head, it can strike with more force than any sword, but it's also more difficult to swing and recover.
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!

Paul

The first added content mod. Woo!

Post by Paul » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:20 am

I saw a bit of low hanging fruit with the addition of the glock 21 and decided to add a glock 18 with the same model (since the glock 21 and 18 look pretty darn similar anyway I figure I can get away with it :P)

So heres a weapons file with the addition of a glock 18 - a machine pistol with 17 round capacity that fires 9mm. I just used the stats on the 21 and modified things a bit for it to work with 9mm ammo and fire in full auto (hold down button and it fires away at a steady pace, or 2 round bursts - basically the same as the old 1.0.2 Beretta).

I also included two modified mission levels files that will let you find it in the game (the mafia car at the gas station and one of the weapon crates at the wrecked military truck) in place of some of the extra berettas.

I've tested it and found the glock at both locations and have used it a few hours to make sure it wasn't causing crashes, no problems so far.

Oh, and the weapons file is the same as the one in the first post with added glock 18 - so also changed is the M4, TommyGun, and Broadsword as mentioned in first post.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:31 am

Gods, I really need to look into importing models. I have weaposn to add!

Good that it's easy to add weapons.

GunFox

Post by GunFox » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:25 pm

Roadbuster wrote:Have you ever tried to carry a Thompson SMG with the 100 round drum? Suckers are HEAVY. Plus TBH if I found a Thompson with the 100 round drum I'd be more likely to leave it behind. Those drums had a horrible tendency to jam every few rounds if everything wasn't perfect. Really my only complaint about the weapons in the game is that they dont have even a single Browning M1911 .45 pistol that I've found, but thats just a personal thing.

Yeah the M1911A1 really needs to make an appearance. As far as pistols go, it would arguably be one of the best to have in this situation.

Extremely reliable, common ammo type, relatively low recoil, and massive soft tissue damage. The gun was adopted by the US military originally because it had the ability to physically incapacitate even drugged opponents. The US marines have fought tooth and nail to get the 1911 back as the primary US sidearm. Rightfully so, they are awesome pistols.

Return to “FZ Modding”