Alpha version of save editor is complete!

Aganazer

Re: Alpha version of save editor is complete!

Post by Aganazer » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:17 pm

This is great. My next project at work is going to need a lot of XML so I've been able to justify some time spent on the editor while at work. Its all under the guise of 'research'. :D

The next version is almost complete. I'll just need to spend some time at home debugging it with the actual game. I can only play around with the XML saves while at work without checking for crashes in the game itself.

Hopefully I can get the item duplication bug worked out. I'm still baffled about why the game wouldn't accept duplicated items even after I changed out all the item GUID's. It has the right number of characters and format. Its a very common practice to generate these GUID's, so I can't imagine that FZ is doing something special with them.

There are two big items that I added.

1. Character model can now be selected from a drop down list. That will make playing as other characters a lot easier. I really like the punk with the "No Zombies" patch on his back. Having a first aid character using the paramedic model is nice to.

2. Skills can be manipulated now. Any of the base skills can be added, changed, and removed. You can't add secondary skills right now, but they could be added to the skills.xml if anyone feels inclined.

There is one more thing I'd like to add before I post it here. I want it to include three preset saves for each starting location. That would complete the loop and make it a full fledged character creator. It may not be ideal, but it would have all the necessary functions to create custom characters from scratch.

Once I am comfortable with this version and if I have time I'll try to make a proper GUI for a character creator. I can reuse all the same underlying code and with a few screen shots from the game I could even make it look a little like the game's current character creator just with more options.

The biggest challenge of making a proper character creator is getting some screen shots of all 60 of the different possible player models. They would need to be cropped and their file name added to the Models.xml file. That would probably take more time than I can give to the project.

Anyway, an update is coming soonish. I just need to get 1.04 from Impulse and test it a bit.

Zalson

Post by Zalson » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:11 pm

One thing I'd like to see is base placement. Cause everyone knows that having your base stuck in the bottom left corner of the map and all the missions at the top right. No fun at all.

Aganazer

Post by Aganazer » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:52 pm

Cool, I hadn't even thought of adding the base location and it sounds really easy to add. Dang Impulse and their slow update. I'd have this uploaded already if it weren't for their holiday time.

Zalson

Post by Zalson » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:41 am

Aganazer wrote:Cool, I hadn't even thought of adding the base location and it sounds really easy to add. Dang Impulse and their slow update. I'd have this uploaded already if it weren't for their holiday time.

Would be nice if you did! I mean its easy to change them but it'll shorten it up a bit

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:51 am

and hence unbalancing the game a bit :lol:

Zalson

Post by Zalson » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:03 am

Well haveing your base at 1.0 and only being able to do one mission a day isn't so great :P

glyth

Post by glyth » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:25 am

i request a char duplication option or something so i can make my own hand picked team

Aganazer

Post by Aganazer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:44 am

Attached is a new version of the save editor.

New Features:
-Editable Base Position
-Create a new save starting at any base
-Skills can be added to your character instead of only editing existing ones
-Character model can be selected from a list
-Character model scale was added

The starting saves are at the point right when you get to the base. It will skip the "clear out your base" mission, but are otherwise a lot like starting a new game. I got unlucky when making the starting Police Station and didn't get a shotgun.

Installation:
There are 6 files so copy them into a new folder. There is no fancy setup.exe.

Known Issue:
Pasting an inventory from one character to another can cause your save to crash. It goes without saying that you should backup any saves before editing.
Last edited by Aganazer on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aganazer

Post by Aganazer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:50 am

And here is the source code. There are plenty of improvements that could be made if anyone feels inclined.

I think I had the server time out on me about 20 times trying to upload this. Kerberos, what's up with the ghetto server these forums are on? Its easily the slowest of any forum I visit.

diocide

Post by diocide » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am

Love the new editor

Thanks and keep up the good work

SIB

Post by SIB » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:55 am

Excellent work Aganazer, i personally cant play the game without using your save editors!!!

Not because i suck or anything, i like to giv my character a high skill in a weapon or two, ex sniper or something etc lol

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Not something I use myself, but useful regardless... :D

Post by silvaril » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:34 am

Heya

:lol: Each to their own... ;)

And thanks for the editor Aganazer! :)
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:28 pm

And Thank You for the source code. :)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

morgwin

Post by morgwin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:41 am

Great new update!
Welcome to Piety,Indiana

Return to “FZ Modding”