Survivor collection limits

Sabin Stargem

Survivor collection limits

Post by Sabin Stargem » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:48 am

I have tried twice thus far to collect all of the Families and Keys, but I have found that I no longer find any survivors, even though I have less than 21 Keys. My first attempt ended with roughly 30+ survivors, but whenever I went on a Survivor Mission, there were none to be found. I guess Fam-La got to them. So I repeated the process, but this time I only accepted Key characters into my Fort. After collecting 8 of them, I once again couldn't find any survivors on the mission.

So there are three possibilities:

A) Each playthrough of Fort Zombie had an set amount of survivors to be found, possibly specific survivors.

B) The fort could have only so many families.

C) Keys count more than regular Survivors, which means that you have to choose between Quantity and Quality.

I don't know which answer is the right one, but I am going to continue my attempts at getting all 21 Keys. However, I can rule out "B". This is because that even when I cull my survivors and reduce the number of them in the fort, I still couldn't find new ones. As such, A & C seem the reasonable candidates for what is going on. My money is on A, but my next playthrough ought to make my guess more accurate.

My attempt to work around the limitation is fairly simple: I am going to collect each key, copy their entry in the savefile, and later convert families into Keys to get around the limitation. I don't know if this would work, but I thought that anyone who is trying to get the Keys would be interested. Here is a quick cut-n-paste example of a Key in the savefile.

*Note: Attributes & Stats are not included. Do not overwrite them when replacing your Survivor.

<FormalDisplayName>Cage, Daniel</FormalDisplayName>

<BaseMovementStatsName>HumanMale</BaseMovementStatsName>
<TemplateName>Tarot_The_Loser</TemplateName>
<Family />
<LivingStatus>Alive</LivingStatus>
<FormerOccupation>Musician</FormerOccupation>
<ModelName>Characters\MainCharacters\Loser_Rapper\loser_rapper</ModelName>
<ModelScale>1</ModelScale>
<Age>21</Age>
<Sex>Male</Sex>
<Type>AbleBodied</Type>

erdrik

Re: Survivor collection limits

Post by erdrik » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:01 pm

How successful are your surviver runs?
I think, if a surviver dies before you get to the location, than they are removed from the available list.
So if one of them died, but the body dropped somewhere you didn't see...
Of course that would only work if you had many surviver attempts partialy fail I guess..
Just a thought.

Sabin Stargem

Post by Sabin Stargem » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:59 pm

During my first run, I collected every single survivor as I came across them, no losses that I am aware of. The second run, I deliberately eliminated all survivors except for Keys.

#1 Run = Exactly 1 key, and about 30+ regulars.

#2 Run = 7 Keys, all but one regular killed. (That survivor was converted into the Healer Key, from my first run.)

I will do the third run without killing any survivors, but I will only collect Keys. Hopefully this would shed light on the probabilities of getting a key and if the survivor pool is fixed for each run.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:14 am

ummmm why do you want to know? :twisted:

Sabin Stargem

Post by Sabin Stargem » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:26 pm

I am one of those guys who want to collect as much stuff as possible, especially unique things. My roots in RPG and Action games pretty much made me into a kleptomaniac. :)

Bloodhawk

Post by Bloodhawk » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:20 am

is there a list of the keys i.e... what do the dentures do, I know about the magnet, honey, aspirin, black powder, rattler, but the dentures, blood bags, kerosine, and i know i am forgetting one. but i would just like to know how many are out there and what they do.

Nathan

Post by Nathan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Some of the magical items aren't misc items at all :twisted:

erdrik

Post by erdrik » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:59 pm

Arg! My rifle wielding Riley put the black powder in the fort inventory and left it there the whole game! :x

Nathan

Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:21 pm

so how about that whole discretion thing :P

Uz3r013

Post by Uz3r013 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:26 am

I Found 3 survivors in a mission once, 2 were in one building and then i found a "Key" survivor in an entirely diffrent building decently far away.

I didnt pay attention if the "PIN" directed me to the "KEY" too. because after i got the 2 i found, and armed them, i made them hold my extra stuff and guard the "EXIT". THen i searched the rest of the area and came across a "KEY" and was like !? another survivor? also, they were dressed diffrent and i was, like. shes new... (my first KEY)

Are all "KEY"s seperate from the rest of the survivors in a mission. Should i search every building in a Survivor mission?

Greenpakto

Post by Greenpakto » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:04 am

Uz3r013 wrote:I Found 3 survivors in a mission once, 2 were in one building and then i found a "Key" survivor in an entirely diffrent building decently far away.

I didnt pay attention if the "PIN" directed me to the "KEY" too. because after i got the 2 i found, and armed them, i made them hold my extra stuff and guard the "EXIT". THen i searched the rest of the area and came across a "KEY" and was like !? another survivor? also, they were dressed diffrent and i was, like. shes new... (my first KEY)

Are all "KEY"s seperate from the rest of the survivors in a mission. Should i search every building in a Survivor mission?

I guess something similiar happened to me. "The third" survivor was trapped inside abother building and I didnt pay attention but I guess he dies from a couple of zombies. I just ran passed him and exited the map, and first then realizing it were a third survivor... :(

Someone should collect all KEY survivor codes so that people can copy them to their own savefile... :P

Waladil

Post by Waladil » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:47 am

During one playthrough, I manually figured out a few savegame hacky things, namely how to place whatever type of mission I wanted and where and how to give myself infinite time (among other things).
By luck I found the Key who makes there always be the maximum number of survivors at every rescue mission, and I brought her with me at rescue after rescue.

Eventually, the game stopped giving me new characters. It gave me duplicates of the old ones. To the point where certain rescue missions would have two or three copies of the SAME SURVIVOR waiting for me. It was really odd.

However, I was never able to get every character listed on the wiki, so I think either some died (unlikely, because that character was a modded god) or the game has pre-defined limits on who you can find.

Return to “FZ Modding”