I am amazed

Discuss The Rot as seen in Fort Zombie

Moderator: Erinys

Profound_Darkness

Re: I am amazed

Post by Profound_Darkness » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:22 am

Huh... I just got the scientist... and my post above really seems to fit into her concept. heh
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:41 am

Mecron wrote:pretty much...cause the danger of invoking the "whathaveyou" god is the kettle of fish involved with responsibility for this cock up in the first place. Seems to me some people get a lil homicidal when you infer in a game or otherwise that their infallible friend in the sky might not be completely infallible or have a headcold that day.

Oh, who said anything has to be specificly mentioned? A little ambiguity is nice. Ergo, it's perfectly fine as it is.

Normally, I would not argue that even if was specificly stated that the other Will is God, that wouldn't make him evil/irresponsible or anything, but that's not a discussion for this thread..so I'll leave it be. Note Mec, that I am one of those people rather sensitive to how religion is portrayed and I wouldn't mind. Then again, I'm not one of those whacky extremists.
Bah..I'm rambling again..nevermind.

So a question to you, to get back on track - are you possibly contemplating FortZombie 2, after Northstar or SOTS2?
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

U.E.D.C.

Post by U.E.D.C. » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:12 pm

Only problem with zombie game sequels is every game has the big showdown at the end, so do it too much and Ben becomes some sort of zombie bashin supersoilder, not really kerb esk. If however FZ2 was from another perspective, then it would avoid the issu entierly.
Mecron wrote:"Hah! We rule the earth!!! Space is stupid anyway!"

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

*grin*

Post by silvaril » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:31 pm

Heya

There is no big bash'em bad guy at the end of Fort Zombie... ;)
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

U.E.D.C.

Post by U.E.D.C. » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:44 pm

I was refering to the"big one" the huge wave of zombies decending on piety at the end of the game, while not a Boss in the traditional sense, it is a showdown of sorts. What I meant was it would be stupid if Ben had to start over, fort up again and wait for another slightly differnet wave of zombies. more likely we would see life in piety after the big one, it's still not safe, but now its more of a matter of rallying the survivors and clearing the town. or I could be way off track, there may not even be FZ2 :cry:

aidan

Post by aidan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:29 pm

U.E.D.C. wrote:I was refering to the"big one" the huge wave of zombies decending on piety at the end of the game, while not a Boss in the traditional sense, it is a showdown of sorts. What I meant was it would be stupid if Ben had to start over, fort up again and wait for another slightly differnet wave of zombies. more likely we would see life in piety after the big one, it's still not safe, but now its more of a matter of rallying the survivors and clearing the town. or I could be way off track, there may not even be FZ2 :cry:

I think Erinys said this was a possible route for a Fort Zombie sequel, clearing the rest of Piety and establishing multiple forts. Of course it's probably all still super tentative glimmer-in-a-dev's-eye kind of stuff at this point.
I'll see peace back on Earth if I gotta murder every one of these animals with my bare hands!

"I aim to misbehave."
- Capt. Mal Reynolds

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:19 am

If there is a sequel, what makes you think you'd be playing as Ben again? Or in the USA for that matter?
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

SpardaSon21

Post by SpardaSon21 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:40 pm

Fort Zombie: Vancouver?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:55 pm

Most of the urban centers of the world have been lost to wildfire and deliberate bombing in this universe, including a limited use of nuclear weapons in Asia and the Middle East.

As to whether Ben will continue to be a character in FZ expansions or sequels--yes, probably so. We enjoy working with him.

Would Ben be a character in a Fort Zombie spin-off set in some other geographic area or time period? Probably not. There have been many heroes who have held a Fortress against repeated wave attacks of a seemingly endless Foe. We would just have to pick one of our favorites. :)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

U.E.D.C.

Post by U.E.D.C. » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:34 pm

So in other words no "hero spam". Thank you.

aidan

Post by aidan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:19 pm

U.E.D.C. wrote:So in other words no "hero spam". Thank you.

I'm sorry, I don't believe I'm familiar with this term. What does it mean?
I'll see peace back on Earth if I gotta murder every one of these animals with my bare hands!

"I aim to misbehave."
- Capt. Mal Reynolds

U.E.D.C.

Post by U.E.D.C. » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:36 pm

By having one man, against all odds live through the greatest trials known by man and still be ready for more, your spamming the hero. If there was a FZ2 set in New York and it just happened by chance that Reily was in NYC and saved a bunch of people, Kerberos would be spamming him, Ben is in Indiana, there is now way he could get to New York in an apocalyps. If FZ kept taking place in Piety Reily can still be the Main Character but if the setting changes a new hero must step to the plate.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:50 pm

Actually, I disagree with this. Reilly is a 21st century American; it is not at all implausible that he could travel to and from New York in less than a week, much less a lifetime, before the tide began to turn seriously in the Z-war. And really, if I wanted to justify prequel tales of Reilly fighting or surviving anywhere else on the planet before the Waves started pouring out of every city left standing, I probably could.

I doubt I would want to tell those stories, though, because the one thing that players should understand about Reilly at the beginning of FZ is that up to this point, his story has been a sad one. I have never been a huge fan of games that you cannot win.

As for the NYC area of the USA during the events of FZ--although it might have once been easy and painless to travel the distance from Piety to Manhattan, it would be a very, very hard fight to travel that distance on foot and remain alive in the "now" of the game. Anyone who reaches the east coast from Indiana in the future will either be the greatest scout/infiltrator in history, or leading a victorious zombie-conquering army.

Of course, if you did make it to the place where New York city used to be, you would find nothing but ashes, bones, and rubble. Two of the survivors in this game witnessed the destruction of New York first hand. The city is gone, for all intents and purposes, like many other urban centers.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:44 pm

The gist of the hero spam is not that the hero travels improbable distances but that (s)he significantly affects an implausibly large number of events. For instance a WW2 game where your character turns the tide in every major battle.

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:43 pm

I don't see a single (or handful of) individual(s) being involved in many military engagements as improbable. Granted I haven't played many/any of those ww2 games mentioned but am thinking of Band of Brothers.

Also of note is some of the special characters in the game (including Ben) are special in part because of what is happening. They may have been of some note before but now the special aspects of them are showing through quite brightly. There seems to be some taking of this single game and extrapolating that because Ben might end up in at least 1 sequel (future engagement) it's somehow wrong or broken (of course I might be misinterpreting 'hero spam'). Besides the fact that I don't think it's beyond Arinn's ability to pull off a compelling plot reason... *how is it absurd* to imagine Ben taking part in future engagements... with or without the undead hoard and if with... when they are facing an undead hoard in the first place?
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

Return to “The Zombie Apocalypse”