Thoughts and questions

Discuss The Rot as seen in Fort Zombie

Moderator: Erinys

GammaPaladin
Cassandra

Thoughts and questions

Post by GammaPaladin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:31 am

So, I was just poking around the web, and came across the wiki page on deadlands, an RPG (Pen and paper) which I had heard of way back when but never played. It occurs to me that there are certain similarities in the setting between that and Fort Zombie (Mostly in terms of there being malevolent intelligence(s) causing the troubles. I was curious whether it was an influence on the story of Fort Zombie.

Also, it got me thinking about a couple of things. We know that the zombie outbreak in Fort Zombie is a result of a collision of sorts between our universe and another, an alignment of mystical planes, or however you want to describe it. But it begs the question: Why did this happen? Did it come about through the actions of people in our world? Was it just random?

And it also made me wonder, what does the will behind the zombies get out of this? I mean, we know it's evil and out to get everyone, but why? There must be some sort of pay off for it to bother with what must be a phenomenal expenditure of energy.

Just a couple thoughts and questions :)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: Thoughts and questions

Post by Erinys » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:29 am

Never have played Deadlands and have absolutely no knowledge of its background fiction, so there is no way it could have been an influence. What is far more likely in cases like this is that both systems were inspired by similar research into myths and legends of the living dead and the realms of the dead, in various cultures.

As to what causes such a colossal phenomenon as a collision of two dimensions--? We are talking about an event of cosmic scale. Even events of merely global scale can seldom be brought down to a single simple cause, or a single simple solution. In this particular case, it should be clear that Fam La has always wanted to conquer our universe, enslave our race, and consume and quench all the light and life that is natural to us. For some reason, the conditions of the 21st century made it possible to shatter the barriers that must have protected our universe in times past, and invade on an unprecedented scale. At present, no one knows what caused this. An alignment of celestial bodies? Did the stars, planets, and distant galaxies suddenly click into the fatal position after billions of years? Was it the end of the Mayan Long Count? Was it the misery, poverty and sickness of hundreds of millions of suffering human beings? Perhaps only Fam La knows. And perhaps it is even more horrifying to think that even the Deadworld does not know, any more than its mindless servants really understand the moment when a door splinters or a window shatters and suddenly they can reach their prey.

Why? What does Erebos "get" out of this? It is impossible to project human motives onto an entity like the Deadworld. Our understanding of hate, greed and hunger are very limited by comparison to the passions that motivate Fa La. Humans can be very entropic and vile when we are at our worst, but the most monumentally evil human beings are still tiny specks of dust comparison.

It is only in our capacity to kindle light that we become giants.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

CanadianWolverine

Post by CanadianWolverine » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:41 am

:thumbsup:

Awesome post. That single post has given me a brutal amount of insight into the game's setting and just how dire the situation is and how amazing what Ben Riley is trying to accomplish truly is.

That is like some Event Horizon level of evil it seems. God that movie was a creepy mind fuck.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:11 am

:) Glad I managed to get the idea across.

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

dayero

Post by dayero » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:58 am

i on the other hand missed the point.
they do it because they are evil. and they are evil because...they do what they do?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:23 am

"You are not here to 'get it', Mr. Burton."
--Lo Pan

dayero

Post by dayero » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:45 am

thx google for resolving reference to a very old movie of moderate notoriety :wink:

Bunnymunch

Post by Bunnymunch » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Sad thing is I said it just like lo Pan in my head as I read it. I might have seen that too many times...

Return to “The Zombie Apocalypse”