The Best Suggestion Ever

balanceofpower

The Best Suggestion Ever

Post by balanceofpower » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:32 am

Why don't you release Fort Zombie's source code to the public and make it open source or under a GNU license?

The game's (patch) support appears to be in limbo right now and could still use tons of fixing and optimization. Release it as open source and suddenly you'll have hundreds if not thousands of new eager would-be developers working on the product. Considering the game sells for 10 dollars (5 when it's on sale) - you could still have a suggested "Donation" option for the game and still make revenue (the way many gamers support other indie developers with "free games" like the Humble Bundle) not to mention it'll be a great promotional tool for FZ2 to boot.

It just doesn't make sense to continue to charge for the game in its current state. Kerberos should consider giving it to the community to see what they can do with it. Believe me, even though I paid for the game, it'll be far more upsetting to see this flawed jewel (with potential) go to waste than seeing a game I paid 5 dollars for go free not long after my purchase.

AlanF5

Re: The Best Suggestion Ever

Post by AlanF5 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:34 pm

Welcome to the boards. :)

We will be receiving at least one more update for FZ, we just don't have any official word on when. Your fears of abandonment are premature. :wink:

Any source-code release of FZ would depend on the details of the deal between Kerberos and their publisher, Paradox, and we are not privy to those details. Given that one of the functions served by FZ was a test platform for systems intended for re-use in Northstar, I personally doubt that either party is interested in releasing source code.
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

balanceofpower

Post by balanceofpower » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:04 pm

Thank you for the kind response and welcome. It is indeed heartening to hear that a new patch is in the works. I may have to dig out FZ when it releases to see how it plays. I also hope the devs open up FZ to be more mod friendly. I'd really like to see alternate player characters. No offense, but being Ben Reilly gets old real fast lol :D

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:53 pm

None taken, though I do not share your sentiment. :wink: As I understand it, the art budget for FZ was never very large. I'd guess that each one or two alternate designs for Ben would have cost about as much as a single unique terrain piece. Presented like that, I'd rather have greater variety in the environment than in how the protagonist looks. :thumbsup:
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:11 pm

New stuff is always cool...40 dollar game content in a 10 dollar game. Not always possible. And lets not fall into the trap that because its a "free game" that SOMEONE didn't pay for it :wink:

Nightshade

Post by Nightshade » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:47 pm

Mecron wrote:New stuff is always cool...40 dollar game content in a 10 dollar game. Not always possible. And lets not fall into the trap that because its a "free game" that SOMEONE didn't pay for it :wink:

In fact, any time I find myself frustrated with some of the more annoying bits in FZ, I try and step back and go "You do remember this was a $10 game, right? How much game play have you and your wife gotten out of your $10 in the last few weeks? 200 hours or so?"

Return to “FZ Suggestions”