State of the Union on Release Day.

If it doesn't fit into one of the sub-forums below, post it here.

Moderators: Erinys, ddub

State of the Union on Release Day.

Postby Mecron » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:01 am

Hey folks,

As I write this is just before 2 AM and technically its release day! For those of you awaiting patiently (others crazily impatiently :thumbsup: ) it will probably be another few hours before you get the stream of electrons that will arrange itself into your copy of SotS2, a game that has taken the better part of 2 years to make. And as I have mentioned elsewhere, these have not been the easiest 2 years for this team on a number of levels not related to the project. A sign, I suspect, that many of us are getting older despite our youthful art.

Now releases are always glorious, terrible, exhilerating and stressful things. And this one is destined to be much the same. I was planning to just head home and face plant for a few hours but then I heard that some people around the boards were shocked that I was honest in another topic about a feature that didn't workout and another that I was not comfortable with leaving in the game given its instability at this point. Many of you were very supportive of this while a couple people here and there have questioned "what no feature lockdown?". To be honest folks I will tell you something you can apply to any Kerberos project...there is NO feature SO locked down that it gets to bring down the rest of the game. It can be in there from day 2 and if something is making it a clear detriment I have no problem yanking it. My apologies if that makes some folks nervous or others feel like "beta testers" but to be honest, the urge comes from trying NOT to make you paying beta testers. To me, including something I KNOW will break your game experience so we can track down whats wrong with it easier IS using you. Taking something out till its ready for you to play may not be the perfect answer for everyone but at least its an honest one I can live with.

The SotS2 you are about to get is a HUGE, fun game with a ton of new features. Do I consider it perfect? Gods knows I wish but we all know that the reality of big games is that there is always something. (And for the record, by my own slightly manic personal standards, I only felt that sots prime was "done" about a year ago and I am still going to go back and tinker at least one more time :twisted: ) The bottom line here is that we are planning to take full advantage of the Steam systems we have integrated to update the crap out of this baby till every feature you have heard us talking about over the past year is the way we want it. So be prepared for new updates and goodies all the way through November.

While I am sorry if this frankness upsets any of you fans who pre-ordered but I would rather be up front than just put on my "Garsh!" face and act incredulous when you post that you can't find an indy planet or call up every summary screen. Hopefully any of you that have spent time on these boards know that is not our style. And certainly if any of you reading this who haven't pre-ordered and are thinking "Hmmm I don't know how I feel about this, maybe I should wait" despite everything thing I have said, then please do feel free to wait. Again, while this may sound like a daring thing to say, really its one of the safest bets I have every made 8)

So all in all, I would like to thank everyone for their support and enthusiasm and I hope that continues with a dollop of patience. Over the past few months especially I have watched this team work harder with more inspiration despite the long hours than ANY other team I have seen in the industry over the past 15 years and its been my honor to work with them. I would also like to thank the relatively small core of beta testers who have spent the last 2 weeks doing the incredibly unfun work of tracking down every possible crash bug so we could stamp them out. If any make it through to you then it is not through lack of dedication from the testers. They have been amazing and NIghthaunt gets a lot of special credit for stepping forward to organize things and keeping testing on track.

So thats the state of things as we head toward launch everyone. I wish my message was all glam and no perspective but c'est la vie, I try and treat you folks the way I like to be treated myself. Thanks again for all your support and belief over the years and always remember...it just keeps getting cooler! :thumbsup:

---Martin E. Cirulis
CEO/Creative Director
Kerberos Productions
Mecron
Kerberos

Re: State of the Union on Release Day.

Postby Gakl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:10 am

Who could complain with the way you guys have updated the s*** out of prime? The original version of Prime was so buggy and the early press looked like it was doomed...then the features rolled out, making it until now possibly the best game 3vAr!

And yes, it's 2am and I'm impatiently waiting on my pre-order download to come through. :oops:

Though, perhaps I should hold my applause till I figure out what you're preemptively apologizing for... :thumbsup:

Cheers.
Last edited by Gakl on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Do you ever feel a strong need to press F9 to end your turn?
Sounds of my current project: http://soundcloud.com/leopardmerkin/sets/basement/
Black Science -- http://www.myspace.com/blacksciencemusic
An Echo Through The Eyes of Forever (2012)
Cosmodemonic & Beyond (2010)
A New Mastery of Light (2008)
-- Download here --
Image Image Image
Gakl

Postby Unwashed_Pleb » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:10 am

Hey mecron

Thanks a lot for the statement... I trust people will be quite pleased with what we get. I will take it as I took sots... each content addition is part of an unfolding story.

Is it possible to know what did not make the final cut?
Plebeian. Adj.
1. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of commoners.
2. Unrefined or coarse in nature or manner; common or vulgar: plebeian tastes.

Unwashed. Adj.
1. Unclean
2. Plebeian: the unwashed masses.
Unwashed_Pleb
Ante Priore Wangum

Postby Gakl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:12 am

Unwashed_Pleb wrote:Hey mecron
Is it possible to know what did not make the final cut?

Because we really need to know what it is we're supposed to be complaining about. :bangdesk:
-Do you ever feel a strong need to press F9 to end your turn?
Sounds of my current project: http://soundcloud.com/leopardmerkin/sets/basement/
Black Science -- http://www.myspace.com/blacksciencemusic
An Echo Through The Eyes of Forever (2012)
Cosmodemonic & Beyond (2010)
A New Mastery of Light (2008)
-- Download here --
Image Image Image
Gakl

Postby kof » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:13 am

Your stance makes total sense to me.

I can't wait to try out your new baby.

Thanks in advance.
kof

Postby jp161 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:16 am

Man, you (both personally and the rest of the good folk of Kerberos) just keep on doing stuff that just lengthens the gap between you and the other game makers around.

As always your honesty is appreciated.
Even if I may, on occasion, sound or act a little on the not-the-better side, in the end I always come back to the facts:
What you've done in regards of Kerberos game titles in the first place, your support for them and the communication with the (again, on occasion, rabid-) fanbase. This all shows just how dedicated you really are.

Wish there were more people like you in the game developing business.

I do hope you get at least a few hours of rest between the last two-weeks-of-no-sleep and the coming two-weeks-of-no-sleep. :thumbsup:

I'd also like to thank the beta testers for taking the dive so we don't have to. Your sacrifice is appreciated. :thumbsup:

ps. Can't wait to see what else you have planned for the arc of SotS 2. :mrgreen:
pps. It's 12:!5 here in Finland. That's AM for the non 24-hour-clock-users. Impatiently awaiting a game? a GAME? NEVER!

Except, of course like, you know.. NOW! :thumbsup: :insane: :insane:
jp161

Postby Redeyes » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:20 am

When the game has settled I would like to see a roadmap of the futures you're planning to work on next. I hope you'll be able to take a break post-release, but I figure there'll be at least one outstanding bug people will post maniacally about that you'll feel forced to address :roll:
Redeyes

Postby Ubik » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:27 am

Thanks for always keeping us informed, really appreciated. :)

And congratulations for finally having reached the release day of SotS II. :thumbsup:
Ubik

Postby DaNuker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:30 am

Thank you for making this post. I really find it a breath of fresh air to have developers be open and frank to their customers. I know your team will be hard at work keeping the game updating and adding features (both new and cut release day features) back into the game. The amount of goodness that was added in SotS1 was really awesome and it really made it my choice for 4X game in the last decade, and I look forward to SotS2 to become that awesome 4X game for this decade.

Cheers. :thumbsup:
DaNuker

Postby Weasel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:36 am

Well, if SotS 1 is any indication of what's in store here, we'll be getting something pretty damned fun, and it'll get better from there!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to continue staring at my virtual shelf waiting for a download link to be delivered by internet pixies.
Holy jumping weasel fritters on a hot cross bun!! Look at that!
Weasel

Postby BTAxis » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:42 am

Mecron, that was a great post. I have read it with enjoyment. I for one intend to remain supportive no matter what decisions are taken, and I look forward to a fantastic game experience. As the French would say: hat.
BTAxis

Postby Zonk » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:43 am

Like many said before .. if SotS is any indication of things to come we are looking at next 500+h of gaming experience ..
I guess it's worth preordering and waiting for those patches :D

And looking at recent releases ( especially PC ) it so good to know that there still companies that care :)

You have my full support and from my friends ( by now it looks like we will expand our small 'gaming community' from 4 to 8 players :D )

ps.
if anything goes horribly wrong ( like steam shutting down due to overwhelming numbers of people trying to install sots II at the same second :D ) we can still play SotS I while things sort themselves out ;)
There is always a way ....
Zonk

Postby vallu751 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:48 am

Glad to read this, I fully support the way you're doing things. Looks like downloading here in Finland is scheduled for around 8-9 PM. Perfect, it should be completed just about when the kids have fallen asleep. Daddy's gonna be sleepy tomorrow morning..

I'm actually expecting the game to crash and have serious graphics corruption problems. I just wish I'll be able to get a feel of the new strategic map. Anything beyond that is a plus for the beginning. If the updates keep coming the way they did for Prime, I'm one happy camper!

I haven't awaited a game this hard since Master of Orion 3 or Elemental: War of Magic. I hope that's not a bad sign..
vallu751

Postby Jarix » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:55 am

Very awesome. Really appreciate the amount of transparency found here.

You guys do awesome work. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Wish there was more of a way to express my appreciation of all that you and your team does and just how cool you all are.
Jarix

Postby Whiterain » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:55 am

It is things like this that makes me want to support small developers, take the bf3 launch, its in nearly the same state as their open beta was, bugs, lag, one map is so unoptamized it's almost unplayable at times and they said nothing and still went for launch, granted that's a bad example with the size of their launch and crap but still. Keep up the great work, and know that the majority of the community likes this interaction you guys have with us, you tell it how it is and that's important.
Whiterain

Next

Return to SotS2 General Discussion