Kerberos, how 'at risk' are we?

If it doesn't fit into one of the sub-forums below, post it here.

Moderators: Erinys, ddub

Kerberos, how 'at risk' are we?

Postby Fascion » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:16 am

I've thought at length about just how to word this inquiry and have come to the conclusion that it's best to just keeping the bush-beating to an absolute minimum.

I've been a huge fan of SOTS since the week of it's initial release--so much so that when it became available on Steam, I purchased it a second time just for the convenience. I would love nothing more than to be able to support both your and your project in SOTS2, as I do with other games though micro-transactions and DLC when available. To be honest, though, I am worried. Quite worried, actually. I've been around long enough to know that these games are more than just a cash-cow for you folks and that, in the words of Mecron, it would literally take the end of the world for y'all to give up on the game. I've also been around long enough to know that it's not always that black and white. Not too long ago there was another game that had a rather questionable launch. At the heart of it all were budget concerns. The game was APB and the developers were Realtime Worlds. They were fairly upfront with their fanbase with regards to the money woes, but assured us time and again that we shouldn't be concerned about the future of their game, that everything would work out in the end. Shortly thereafter their doors were closed and the game was canned.

So, the question...
Kerberos, how 'at risk' are we of having a complete loss in investment here?

It's a hard question to answer, I know. Especially so if the truth is going to hurt. With each passing day more and more honesty is coming forth from people who feel responsible for this, so I would hope that we are past the point where questions like this could simply be shoved under the rug.

Doom and gloom aside, the largest part of my conscience says I should do just that; the sheer number of hours of enjoyment I have gotten from SOTS1 should seemingly dictate that I should stay on this ride, no matter how bumpy it gets. But in an industry that becomes seemingly more corrupt and abusive to it's 'clients' every year, there is a part of me that says I should pull out now while I still can, continue playing SOTS1, then return to SOTS2 when it is truly ready. The latter feeling made all the stronger with each of my friends who have decided to do just that. We haven't all given up on it, but knowing that, by the time it is well and truly ready, we will likely be able to pick it up on a Steamsale for half off certainly doesn't help matters.

My concern, I guess, is that we haven't yet heard just why things have turned out as they have. I've been unable to keep up with all the news, as it comes and goes so quickly, but I've read more than a few hints and rumors that give me pause.

I know Kerberos is in it for a 12-round bout, but what are the real odds of an early K-O here?

Thank you,
a fan
Fascion

Re: Kerberos, how 'at risk' are we?

Postby Mecron » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:44 am

Odds of early KO?

2 words...ZE...RO

This game will be backed to the sourcewall and back by both Kerberos and Paradox. :thumbsup:
Mecron
Kerberos

Postby TheTuninator » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:28 am

Mecron wrote:Odds of early KO?

2 words...ZE...RO

This game will be backed to the sourcewall and back by both Kerberos and Paradox. :thumbsup:

Great to hear, and looking forward to tomorrow's patch!
"DIVE DIVE DIVE, HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT!"
TheTuninator

Postby Xmasbeer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:51 am

2 words...ZE...RO

Sounds to me like Mecron has discovered that the revenue from the sales just gave them funds for a long time. ;)
Xmasbeer
Hates Achievements achievement UNLOCKED!

Postby satthukaraoke » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:54 am

Let just hope half of those won't disappear tomorrow when Paradox go through the refund request .... ;)

I kid I kid ... :mrgreen:

not really, I seriously hope that's not the case. :?
satthukaraoke

Postby Mecron » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:03 am

xmas that sort of thing takes half a year to get around...nope I say this cause we supported sots prime through months where we truely were without anything...compared to those days, this is just what it is. Hard work and dedicated support while we continue to expand and work on things.
Mecron
Kerberos

Postby corksacker69 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:12 am

Good to hear. Good to hear. Im confident that sometime down the line, probably not tomorrow or next week or even next month, but sometime my 40$ and the 40$ of 1000s of others will have bloomed this ugly duckling into a swan.
corksacker69

Postby Sofaspud » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:15 am

Meh.

Even if y'all crash and burn tomorrow and the doors close forever, you can keep my $40. I won't ask for it back. I've spent more than that on my multiple copies of SotS Prime; I'm not worried about my investment here.

Worried about another multi-gig download, maybe... (I kid, I kid!) but not worried about the money. :D
Sofaspud

Postby satthukaraoke » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:20 am

Sofaspud wrote:Even if y'all crash and burn tomorrow and the doors close forever, you can keep my $40. I won't ask for it back.

Same for me, I won't jinx myself for saying $40 is not a lot (well, it's not, but I feel like getting bad karma for saying it). I kinda jump on the SoTS Prime bandwagon late so I didn't spend a lot for what I get, if anything I would call this transaction fair.

Of course, I hope you will provide more opportunity for me to spend money and not just stopping here. :P
satthukaraoke

Postby Red Spot » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:03 am

Mecron wrote:xmas that sort of thing takes half a year to get around...nope I say this cause we supported sots prime through months where we truely were without anything...compared to those days, this is just what it is. Hard work and dedicated support while we continue to expand and work on things.

Sorry for hiijacking the treath, but I like to send a big :thumbs up: towards you and the team. Release may have been far from perfect but the potential is there and I have no doubt the support is no less than the potential SotS 2 has.

Cake for Kerberos :) (and more to come when patches are being released ... perhaps it will be chocolate cake next time ;))
Red Spot

Postby mango » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:50 am

2 words...ZE...RO

That comes across as kind of ambivalent. What do you mean by early? My crystal ball gets hazy around April 2012.

I hope you know me well enough by now Mecron to know I am not trying to snark, I am trying to find a way to help this situation work out the way I want in the real world, what I want is the game because I do like the look of what could have been judging from what I got.

Just saying, if current sales are going to influence the medium term outcome then maybe transparency would encourage undecideds to jump in. Worth thinking about. One thing I have learned from my own life story is that it doesnt help to be defensive about communicating the need for help.

I really hope you guys pull it off. But boy that was a fast one 8)
mango
Ante Priore Wangum

Postby ForceUser » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:11 pm

No private company anywhere will give out sensitive financial data. ever. EVER.

that said mecron is indeed suggesting that finances is not the problem atm and I think we should be happy with that answer as we are not going to get more than that. The situation can change of course but I'm sure mecron will let us know if that happens in his own special way. Of special note is

I say this cause we supported sots prime through months where we truely were without anything...compared to those days, this is just what it is.

Without reading too much in between the lines (sorry if I am) it reads to me like back in SotS prime days there were times where they had little to no funds, and they CONTINUED to support the game. The whole "compared to those days" suggests that now it is different from then, meaning it most likely is not financial problems. It is a botched release and wishful thinking on their part and they can and will fix it.

Deep breaths, prescribe I do.
Perspective Man: Much like common sense, it's so rare it's a gorram superpower.
Agent.nihilist wrote:Ooo! Whats the gesture for ramming!?
Korgan wrote:probably a pelvic thrust
Mecron wrote:oy that is wrong at so many levels...well done! :P
ForceUser

Postby Fascion » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:08 pm

2 words...ZE...RO

Like ForceUser, I like what I read in between those lines. Thank you; you folks will have my continued support.

ForceUser wrote:No private company anywhere will give out sensitive financial data. ever. EVER.
In the aforementioned Realtime Worlds scenario, they did come out early and say, "little guys, we are having a bit of troubles..." before initiating damage control and trying to keep APB afloat. Some have suggested, though, that even if APB had received a better reception, it might not have changed their situation all that much.
Fascion

Postby ForceUser » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:22 pm

Fascion wrote:
ForceUser wrote:No private company anywhere will give out sensitive financial data. ever. EVER.
In the aforementioned Realtime Worlds scenario, they did come out early and say, "little guys, we are having a bit of troubles..." before initiating damage control and trying to keep APB afloat. Some have suggested, though, that even if APB had received a better reception, it might not have changed their situation all that much.

Hmm you could be right, not that they gave out definite numbers, just saying they were in a bit of a pickle :). It might also be that the only time a company would do that is if they were actually in a financial problem, and since Kerb isn't they won't expand on it in case someone goes and misquotes them on something and causes a huge ass panic for nothing. It has happened and some asshat will make it happen again :D

They want to say that their financial situation is good/stable/not bad/whatever but can't really go into specifics in case someone goes OMG NOOO THEY R HAVINGZ TEZ MONIEZ TROUBLEZZZZ and running amok on every single forum out there to get attention. SO mecron just says they are fine in code so no one can bone them with it.
Perspective Man: Much like common sense, it's so rare it's a gorram superpower.
Agent.nihilist wrote:Ooo! Whats the gesture for ramming!?
Korgan wrote:probably a pelvic thrust
Mecron wrote:oy that is wrong at so many levels...well done! :P
ForceUser

Return to SotS2 General Discussion