The "BIG" News

Every Colonist has heard the tales of The Pit. Some say it doesn't exist. Some say it does. All agree only a fool would go looking for it.

Moderator: Erinys

Mecron
Kerberos

The "BIG" News

Post by Mecron » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:12 am

(disclaimer: (cause folks like to go crazy) This announcement in NO way affects Sots/SotS2 and any future expansions and their happy home at Paradox. SotS 4x games continues to be members of the Paradox family of games...capiche?) ;)

Ok now on to the news!

We have a new indy game project announcing on Indiegogo. Its a sots based rogue-style game called The Pit. It's retro, it's cute, it's cool. We would like folks to help bring it into existence, but more importantly since so many of you have been with us through thick and thin, I wanted to give you the lowdown on the how's and why's of this new path.

Welcome to the Future:

Like everything we do at Kerberos, this new game is part of a plan that is about both the short and the long term. The short term is easy. The Pit is a fun game we want to make and we hope you folks will love it. But the long term is about something a bit more serious; we have to find a better way of making things work.

From inception, Kerberos was meant to be a hybrid development house, working with Publishers but building up and controlling our own ip’s and setting our own level of support. Unfortunately, the realities of the changing computer game business have been making that more and more difficult despite the level of support from the fan base. The bottom line is that long term commitment and dynamic development of games requires dedicated resources and in the standard work for hire model there is just no budget to do that sort of thing. So the choice up to this point is either to ask more and more of a small number of people AFTER their regular work day developing contracted games while at the same time getting involved in more contracted projects in order to pay for the work being done supporting the last one. Sadly this is just no longer viable in this economic climate. While we have always been deeply indebted to the people out there who have shown us endless support and bought copies, even multiple copies, of all our games, the hard truth is that not a penny of that support has EVER reached us directly. And so in order to keep doing what we love to do and still survive, that means we have to start doing things in new ways.

And that “new” way is for Kerberos to go full indy.

While we fully intend to continue our partnership with Paradox with SotS2 and any expansions, Kerberos plans to diversify, carefully, into the realm of crowd sourced indy projects that will allow fan purchase to DIRECTLY enable the kind of support and development people seem to want. Now the temptation here is to go immediately for the big projects that need doing but we are just not comfortable with that. Truth be told, crowdsourcing is a new world for us and we are looking for a sustained development system, not just a one shot grab all you can and pray it scores kind of thing. We need to establish a viable and reliable pipeline for the creation of games in this way and you all need to see the results of those things without going full in on some mega project.

So what this boils down to is we are starting with The Pit; something fun, low risk, and most importantly, deep. (I know, he who puns may have other nasty habits) A game that will allow you to cast your vote for this plan and our commitment to support and still play before the sun goes cold. Assuming there is an audience for this, then you can safely expect 2 or 3 crowdsourced titles (not counting expansions) of increasing size and budget over the course of next year and this will hopefully establish a stable of self-published titles that will keep dedicated support programmers, artists and designers in the office. These games will appeal to both fans of our IP’s and fans of the game types themselves. While we want you folks to see new and different corners of our worlds, we also want to bring new people into the fold by putting some new twists on classic forms and by supporting these projects, you folks will also be able to help vote for what titles get developed next. Assuming all goes well with our ramping up approach, from there we will go on to bigger projects like Fort Zombie 2 and Northstar.

And there you have it. We are looking for your vote of confidence not only in the production of a great lil game, but also in our way of making living, breathing games where support doesn’t end after a bug fix or two. We love creating, maintaining and expanding our games but it can’t be done any longer within the traditional publisher/developer model. If these things are important or attractive to you then we humbly ask for you to come with us. Help show that this model for long term support means something to gamers. Help support the creation of new and enjoyable games for the right price. And help vote on which games will see the light of day.
This will be a great adventure, hope to see you there with us.

INDIEGOGO CAMPAIGN
http://www.indiegogo.com/sots-thepit

OFFICIAL WEBSITE!
http://www.sots-thepit.com

And thank you for all your support in the past,
--Martin Cirulis
CEO/Creative Director
Kerberos Productions

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Re: The "BIG" News

Post by zanzibar196 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:28 am

First to pledge! ($40) ^_^

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:31 am

many thanks Zanz, sorry we won't be seeing you for Xmas though! :)

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:32 am

Mecron wrote:many thanks Zanz, sorry we won't be seeing you for Xmas though! :)

Well, I didn't have $2500 at the moment... ^_^

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:44 am

lol we just put that one in there cause everyone seems to have a crazy one...but you know after all this time you are always welcome to come by to say hi zanz!

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:48 am

What a thing to come back to after being gone for a year!

Congratulations on your bold step into the future, and I wish KP all the best. I'll be able to throw some golds at you later.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Delta_V

Post by Delta_V » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:50 am

You guys have got my support, this game sounds great :D

I glad to see you guys moving in a new direction too, I hope it works out for you all and I hope you get to see more of that hard earned money end up in your hands instead of a publisher's hands!

vaccum_pony

Post by vaccum_pony » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:56 am

You had me at "The Pit".
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

Vinco
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by Vinco » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:14 am

In for book #1
Honor is all. Let no man coerce you to abandon it, for honor is the only thing which is truly yours.

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:15 am

Yup, pledged also :) Looks like a lot of fun.

jp161

Post by jp161 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:21 am

Woah, was I the onlyone who was caught completely by surprise with this one? :shock:

But hey, I hope it catches wind and propels you to new heights of independence and game making! :thumbsup:

zanzibar196

Post by zanzibar196 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:23 am

jp161 wrote:Woah, was I the onlyone who was caught completely by surprise with this one? :shock:

But hey, I hope it catches wind and propels you to new heights of independence and game making! :thumbsup:

So far, in about 1 hour, $1180 has been pledged... ^_^

MancombSeepgood

Post by MancombSeepgood » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:30 am

Fantastic news, I really hope you'll succeed greatly in this new endeavor of yours :). Still, can I ask why you chose Indiegogo over Kickstarter? I know that Indiegogo has quite a few perks over Kickstarter (lower fees, Paypal support for people without credit cards, the ability to fund a project that didn't reach its goal), but I have to wonder if these advantages aren't outweighed by the greater publicity Kickstarter seems to enjoy.

In any case, we'll just have to spread the word - I think after the success of FTL the appetites of many gamers for new roguelikes might have been whetted :).

jp161

Post by jp161 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:31 am

zanzibar196 wrote:
jp161 wrote:*snip*

So far, in about 1 hour, $1180 has been pledged... ^_^

Yeah, I noticed.. Let's hope it stays at that participation level for the whole 30 days! :D

marshb

Post by marshb » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:35 am

Looks like I'm getting a coffee mug. :lol:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Return to “The Pit General Discussion”