Speeding up the game

If it doesn't fit into one of the sub-forums below, post it here.

Moderators: Erinys, ddub

Speeding up the game

Postby Unrah » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:38 am

Hello everyone,

i recently returned to SotS II after i bought it when it was released. Game situation afte rthe release was just a huge mess, so i put the game asisde, and i saw over the passing months that a lot pachtes and updates were applied. So at least cudos to the developers trying to fix this game which in my opinion has so much potential!
Adter a couple of hours of trying it out again i was once again frustrated and very disappointed. The waiting time after you hit the "end turn" button are just redicilous, especially on bigger maps later on in the game. i have a very decent gameing rig, and my time is precious to me, so i am not a big fan of waiting 30 secs each time i am finished with my turn. And on top of it, the enemy AI is really, REALLY bad.
So i was just about to uninstall the game again when i stumbled of this nice little mod: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=40392
I installed it and was quite amazed. Waiting time are a LOT better, i loved the new UI for fleet admirals, and the very hard ai setting also did a little bit better (still sucks, better than nothing).
Mod is easy to install, also easy to uninstall, works with the latest game version, (but not with the current new beta version), and really makes this game a lot more enjoyable.

Just wanted to point people who have the same issues with the game as me into the right direction, not sure if everybody checks out the modding section of the forum.

And to Kerberos, HIRE the creator of this mod! Or at least implement the improvements of the mod into the official game code.
For myself, all that is now missing to make this game really great is a good AI which is capable to putting upa decent fight.

Hope this was a little help for anyone who wasn`t aware of the existence of this mod.
Unrah

Re: Speeding up the game

Postby mspaetauf » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:06 pm

I wonder what kind of changes were applied in the mod! Is the modder just a genius and did a great job, did he spot something that the guys at Kerbs missed, or did he remove some essential stuff that hampers the game in some unknown way?

I'm all for faster turn times, but one guy going "hey I fixed it" seems just too easy and too good to be true....
mspaetauf

Postby Mecron » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:32 pm

Indeed. The fantasy is a good one though, isn't it?
Mecron
Kerberos

Postby Unrah » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:59 pm

I have played around 110 hours with this mod installed. From my point of view there was nothing missing or buggy. Only thing i noticed is that the AI is really not good, being it in combat or on a strategic level. But that is pretty much the same case without the mod installed. In my last 30 hours of gameplay i tried to setup a game which i will loose. Latest setup was almach, with 4 AI all on very dard difficulty. I was Human, against Tarka, Loa, Suul`ka and Morrigi. All AI got 8 starting systems, 1 mil in cash and 10 starting techs. i got 3 systems, 200k and 0 starting techs. Econ effeciency was at 100 % , research effeciancy at 70 %. Victory condition was last side standing, and i was forbidden to use any diplomacy, i declared war on each AI as soon as i meet them, and stay at war with them. I still won and never got in any trouble from any AI.

I will deinstall the mod today and tryout the new betversion and see if anything is different.
Unrah

Postby BlueTemplar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:41 pm

I first thought that that mod was an incredible improvement for the slow UI, but now I'm wondering whether that impression wasn't just caused by restarting the game...
:============="Now get the hell out of our galaxy!"=============:
---------------->The Weapons Liberation Mod 1.2 for SotS1<--------------------
BlueTemplar

Postby Itharus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:45 pm

I still don't get it... I use a 5 year old dual core PC with only 4 gigs of RAM - and the game runs smoothly for me with everything turned up excluding focal blur. The only slowdown I get is either a) late game on SOTSVerse (turns take ~45-60sec), and b) if I have a bajillion drones/BR on the field and selected (strangely, if I turn the UI off, it's fairly smooth in that situation).

Things I do that I wonder if some of you don't:

1) Defrag regularly. Seriously - once a week people, once a week. Not to mention before installing a large new program or after uninstalling a large program.

2) When Steam tells me to "update the program to a new more efficient format" I tell it to kiss my butt and just reinstall the game freshly in the new format. This is important because when Steam converts a game to a new format - it tends to royally screw things up - including roflstomping any mods you may have installed. Simply installing the new format does not have this deleterious effect.

3) Run a clean ship when it comes to malware.

4) Delete unnecessary files regularly - being sure to clean out all those useless temp files that the windows tool often seems to ignore.

5) Disable anything running in the background that I don't need.

6) Keep drivers up to date - including sound drivers - these are often overlooked and can really mess with things.

Basically, I don't sh*t where I eat, and I clean up after my digital self.

Food for thought :| .
Go Hiver or go home!
Itharus

Postby OF-pathfinder » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Itharus wrote:I still don't get it... I use a 5 year old dual core PC with only 4 gigs of RAM - and the game runs smoothly for me with everything turned up excluding focal blur. The only slowdown I get is either a) late game on SOTSVerse (turns take ~45-60sec), and b) if I have a bajillion drones/BR on the field and selected (strangely, if I turn the UI off, it's fairly smooth in that situation).

Things I do that I wonder if some of you don't:

1) Defrag regularly. Seriously - once a week people, once a week. Not to mention before installing a large new program or after uninstalling a large program.

2) When Steam tells me to "update the program to a new more efficient format" I tell it to kiss my butt and just reinstall the game freshly in the new format. This is important because when Steam converts a game to a new format - it tends to royally screw things up - including roflstomping any mods you may have installed. Simply installing the new format does not have this deleterious effect.

3) Run a clean ship when it comes to malware.

4) Delete unnecessary files regularly - being sure to clean out all those useless temp files that the windows tool often seems to ignore.

5) Disable anything running in the background that I don't need.

6) Keep drivers up to date - including sound drivers - these are often overlooked and can really mess with things.

Basically, I don't sh*t where I eat, and I clean up after my digital self.

Food for thought :| .

Amen!
OF-pathfinder

Postby Unrah » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks for the tipps for speeding up any pc, i do most of them myself regulary.
Its great that you have the patience and the time to wait 60 secs after each turn on a bigger map, i myself don`t. The reason of my initial post here was showing other people who also maybe lack your patience a way to speed things up.
I just made a clean reinstall of SOTS II and applied the new beta patch, i am playing a almach map with 4 ai players, and the waiting times are growing and growing again.
Turn 1: 4 secs / Turn 10: 6 secs / turn 35: 15 secs / turn 60: 20 secs i just reached turn 65: 22 secs. (i stopped those times from the moment i hit the end turn button to the time calculations were ended and new turn started) i am pretty sure waiting time will be around 45 secs to 60 around turn 200.
Before i had the latest official version installed with the speed mod applied. I had almach game against the same amount of AI`s, turn around 300, waiting time maybe 15 to 20 secs.
So all i know there must be plenty of room for optimization, and all this waiting is not necessary, and i guess even you, Itharus will appreciate if you don`t have to wait 60 secs after every turn.
Unrah

Postby Unrah » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:35 pm

If anyone wanna check how long his systems needs from 65 to 66, here is my savegame. It was played with the current Betaversion of the game.

My systemspecs are:
4 Kernprozessor Intel I-5-2500k @ 3,3Ghz, 8 Gigabyte Ram, Crucial M4 128 GB SSD, Win 7 64 bit, Grafikkarte: Geforce GTx 560 TI

I would really love some comparisondata from other system specs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Unrah

Postby mspaetauf » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:43 pm

I'd love to try that, but don't have the beta version (and can't be bothered to install it now that I have to play The Pit :)).

From personal experience I can say that on my rig the turn times with 3 AI around turn 100 are about 10 sec. I have a stock i5-2500K, 16 GB Ram (yeah go ahead lol, I just wanted to try something and RAM is cheap) and a GTX 570.

cheers,
mspaetauf

Postby OF-pathfinder » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:51 pm

I have a stock i7 2600 (3.4ghz) with 8 mb ram and a radeon 5870. Nothing special really. Playing Nursery with just myself & 2 AI, around turn 400 I am getting 15-20 end of turn processing.*shrug*
OF-pathfinder

Postby Resok » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:03 pm

It's an ongoing effort from the devs to continue to improve perf. Tricky part of course is they're also working in increasing the complexity of the logic behind the AI as well to make it more of a challenge.

They've made it pretty clear in various threads that it's always been their goal to boost overall turn transition and UI transition performance. It just takes time and money. Projects like "The Pit" will help with the second part.

As far as turn transition perf I normally never see anything longer than 15-20 seconds even on gigantic maps. Of course this heavily depends on how much combat simulation is going on but that's understandable in my book considering the complexity of the tactical combat layer.
Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Postby Unrah » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:08 pm

Ok, now i am really curious. Can anyone who is running the betaclient atm do me a favour and load my savegame i put in this post, named turn 79, choose human side, thne just press end turn, stop the time until the next round starts and the post the stopped time here?
I had to wait 43 secs until the combat screen against Loa Fleet popped up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Unrah

Postby Resok » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:18 pm

Looks like it took exactly 43 seconds for me also on my laptop (still a dual core I-7 2.8 GHZ with SSD and 8 GB ram).

I see from the logs:

T (2013/02/21 10:11:41) [game] Combat pending in W'kanda system.
T (2013/02/21 10:12:22) [state] Preparing LoadingScreenState for transition from StarMapState.

My guess is this is some kind of bug causing a perf hit here though it's hard to tell exactly what.

I'd re-post this in tech support. Possibly some issue with the Loa fleet data or being displayed for the combat prompt.
Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Postby Elouda » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:20 pm

Unrah wrote:Ok, now i am really curious. Can anyone who is running the betaclient atm do me a favour and load my savegame i put in this post, named turn 79, choose human side, thne just press end turn, stop the time until the next round starts and the post the stopped time here?
I had to wait 43 secs until the combat screen against Loa Fleet popped up.

I had to wait 36.5 seconds, which seems abnormally long for so early in the game. A 7 player SotSverse game Im playing is about the same, and its turn 170.
Elouda

Next

Return to SotS2 General Discussion