Speeding up the game

Talk about all things to do with the sequel to our flagship 4X title.

Moderator: Erinys

Unrah

Re: Speeding up the game

Post by Unrah » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:34 pm

Somthing is really odd here. Same game, turn 83 now. I scrapped all freighters so no more pirate attacks. At the end of turn 83 this time no combat against Loa, Waiting time now for me: 56 secs....

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:36 pm

Post a new post on the Beta forum. Keep in mind you ARE playing on a Beta build (hopefully in an attempt to find and report issues...?).
- Resok

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Unrah wrote:Thanks for the tipps for speeding up any pc, i do most of them myself regulary.
Its great that you have the patience and the time to wait 60 secs after each turn on a bigger map, i myself don`t. The reason of my initial post here was showing other people who also maybe lack your patience a way to speed things up.
I just made a clean reinstall of SOTS II and applied the new beta patch, i am playing a almach map with 4 ai players, and the waiting times are growing and growing again.
Turn 1: 4 secs / Turn 10: 6 secs / turn 35: 15 secs / turn 60: 20 secs i just reached turn 65: 22 secs. (i stopped those times from the moment i hit the end turn button to the time calculations were ended and new turn started) i am pretty sure waiting time will be around 45 secs to 60 around turn 200.
Before i had the latest official version installed with the speed mod applied. I had almach game against the same amount of AI`s, turn around 300, waiting time maybe 15 to 20 secs.
So all i know there must be plenty of room for optimization, and all this waiting is not necessary, and i guess even you, Itharus will appreciate if you don`t have to wait 60 secs after every turn.

My systemspecs are:
4 Kernprozessor Intel I-5-2500k @ 3,3Ghz, 8 Gigabyte Ram, Crucial M4 128 GB SSD, Win 7 64 bit, Grafikkarte: Geforce GTx 560 TI

I've only played FIGHT and Small Disk so far, and never went farther than turn 80 using the unmodded game, but my turn transitions never took more than a second or so, despite having a significantly weaker computer than yours. I also tend to run lots of programs in the background.

Unrah

Post by Unrah » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:59 pm

Resok wrote:Post a new post on the Beta forum. Keep in mind you ARE playing on a Beta build (hopefully in an attempt to find and report issues...?).

Good idea, i opend a thread on the beta forum regarding the turn time comparrison, which can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=46775

And yes, i know i am playing a beta build atm, but waiting time between turns was an issue for me even before this current beta version.

Nextek
Kerberos

Post by Nextek » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Hey guys!

Please keep mod discussion in the mod forums.

As far as sotsos goes it is a neat mod.
But it will break multiplayer and possibly introduce other issues if not used correctly.
That said it does add strain to us when we receive bugs related to mod usage/misuse, so we really appreciate it you mention that you are using mods in tech support threads.
It is also best to forgo mods in MP, especially ones that alter how the game handles data.

As far as what sotsos does the game already does for the most part, in a safe manner with expected results. Some people may see an improvement, but it should be fairly small if any and be conditional on whats happening in your game.
We are always working on ways to improve the game experience, so its great to see modders alter the game for the better. Sots2 is a complex game and without intimate knowledge of the the code base mods can do a lot of damage unintentionally.

Thanks.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:03 am

Unrah wrote:Its great that you have the patience and the time to wait 60 secs after each turn on a bigger map, i myself don`t. The reason of my initial post here was showing other people who also maybe lack your patience a way to speed things up.

I wasn't trying to call you out, and I'm sorry if you believe that I have. My comments were meant to address an entire population, rather than you specifically. Also, yes, I would love it if turn times on SOTSVerse were down to 30 seconds or less late in the game - alas - that probably needs something changed on my end.
Go Hiver or go home!

Return to “SotS2”