BlueInstinct vs FireStorm20 - Special kind of AAR

Lookin' for a fight? Lookin' to talk about a fight? Talk about your multiplayer tactics here.
FireStorm20

Re: BlueInstinct vs FireStorm20 - Special kind of AAR

Post by FireStorm20 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:31 pm

DarkEzeal wrote:Loving it all guys, keep it coming :)

Hold in there FireStrom, those feasibility studies hurt but I'm rooting for you! Go Crows!

Thanks DE we will:)
Faded steel heat

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:56 pm

sorry guys, i have been really buisy, but i hope i can make good post of my few very shortly,

greetings

edit
and btw, we finished our game in turn ~230 2night so its gonna get hot in here soon . .

FireStorm20

Post by FireStorm20 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:09 pm

Yep the game is finally over, will try to write down soon the final chapters:)
Faded steel heat

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:26 am

Ooo sounds good! Looking forward to hearing about it!

BlueInstinct

Post by BlueInstinct » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:38 pm

Chapter 3 - A Feast for the Fish

it was in turn 119, that my first Battlecruisers arrived at the front. Only 2 Carriers accompanied by 3 Torpedo and 1 BR Cruiser.
That fleet took care of alot of Morrigi CR - especially since the Long Wing and Tornado Class lack the substantial firepower needet
to match the BC's

It destroyed 3 entire fleets in a row, and was driven out only by the massive damage by the planetary missiles and drones from the
sats, since i had no PD at that point

Even though the BC's have only brought the most basic of wapons:
edit.: the BC on the picture is an upgraded version and alrdy has PD, but thats how the first BC's looked like in general

At this point my Economy was rather puny, tnx to the Apocalypse Now Raids . .
3.3 mill at turn 119 on a map as big as this, really isnt a good thing.

I still was in high Danger from deep strikes in my territory since the morrigi fleets could reach it with me only spotting it 1 turn
befor they hit, or even without notice at all.

So my goal was to put up as much preasure as possible to occupy the birds navy at the front.
Still, if a composition of 2 or 3 combat fleets would have hit my core territory, i would have been utterly helpless, because its was
simply impossible to keep a strong combat fleet at EVERY system, and put up preasure at the same time, and coming to reinforce would
take me 3 or 4 turns even from the colsest distance possible.

Liir just cant move fast enough for such a task.

To my sheer luck, the Morrigi admirals overestimated my defensive abilities since they alrdy performed a succesful strike, and
assumed that i would be prepared the next time.
I would have been if it had been a more managable task.

But no combat fleets ever tried to bypass the boarders;
One of my biggest mistakes was not exploited ----> i didnt researched drone satelites until very late in the game.

So the fight between Pacem and Gallandro went on in a brutal fashion, with me striking with 2 fleets, 1 of them only to provide
repair and a second round of combat, the other one with pure BC carriers.

Soon the Birds fieldet a new and way more powerful defense:
Hope Class DN's coupled with Armada CnC.
Those managed to kill most of the BC's before they all blew up.
So we usually traded 8-10 BC's for 4-5 DN's wich was in my favour still but it was a wayy better trade for the birds than before, so the Hope classe lived up to its symbolic name

It did however happen sometimes that in 2 rounds of combat, 1 of my fleets got torn apart by the second wave of Hope Classes

The fights raged on like that without a break, me, constantly fearing a couneter attack in my backyard, throwing everything ive got onto Gallandro while Firestorm decidet he wanted to get rid of Pacem, my most powerful production system and base for all offensive runs, first.
It was exactly what i wanted since the production capabilities of that systems made it easy to defend.

My plan at this point was to uppgrade the beams on my BC's and once positron was rdy, go for AM and Mesons for the finishing blow.
I managed to find and colonize a few very good systems at the rear of my empire, thus creating a second trade and production center in the flank of my opponent. I was able to position 1 Fleet of carriers there before the Morrigi found them and once they came with a halfe hearted strikeforce of 1 fleet with assault shuttles, my BC's scared them off.

I managed to get information on the Unicorn System by a succesful espionage mission, and was terrified to see that it contained a size 10 and a size 9 colony along side a third one.
Talking to Firestorm about that matter he told me that Unicor was not the only very powerful system he had. And he had those for a long time.
So i decidet that striking it would be the first thing i do, once i have AM . . .

To be continued....

FireStorm20

Post by FireStorm20 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:56 pm

Nice read and pics:)
I would like to comment tough on:
To my sheer luck, the Morrigi admirals overestimated my defensive abilities since they alrdy performed a succesful strike, and
assumed that i would be prepared the next time.
I would have been if it had been a more managable task.

But no combat fleets ever tried to bypass the boarders;

The way i remember it i tried to attack with Apocalyspe fleets after the initial strike , but as i describied , they got annihilated, i had 2 ships returning alive from those missions.

And you might overestimate my economic capabiliteis. I could produce more then you , but it was just enough to defend and keep up with research.Those 2 apocalypse fleet were a hard hard squeeze to pull while maintianing proper defense.I was all time time under extreme pressure, producing 2-3 additional fleets didnt seem possible.Even with my concentration on defense i was many times inches from disaster...For example if those dread Hope ships woudl ahve come 5 turns later i would have lost at least one system...

Maybe i could have spammed cheap sats to just slow you down and then mass attack leaving my planets defnesless. But it would again be a huge gamble, you could ahve sats too, and since my apoc fleets got decimated by something, then you must have had some defenses, or i was extremely unlucky to land on your only 2 defended systems....
Faded steel heat

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:29 am

Nice nice!

Battlecruisers are so scary @.@; Their firepower is just silly!

How do you usually deal with them?

Great report, thanks guys!

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:55 pm

Disabling them with EMP or disruptors and focusing on the Carriers if possible.

Deep Psi research also works - Mind control the carrier DN(s) into the sun\planet.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Karu

Post by Karu » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:14 pm

Rossinna-Sama wrote:Deep Psi research also works - Mind control the carrier DN(s) into the sun\planet.

How do you forcemove them in there?

Sincerly

FireStorm20

Post by FireStorm20 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:31 pm

Well folks , sorry to not having finished the AAR, specially for the few poeple that were following the epic game.I started working again around that time and it has been a real rollercoaster.

Anyway im here now to finish it :) :

THE END

With the utter failures of my techs i decided to gamble and go again for cutting beams with the beam branch, knowing if i fail again it would prolly mean to much lost time to do come back from it.Thanfully Blue has lessened the attacks, i knew he was prolly going for the Liir final argument : leviathan and battleships and that once he got it, it would be very very hard for me to win.This time tough the tech rolls finally were in my favour: i researched meson beams, and succeded in researching cutting beams from there.
Thats how the ultimate Crimson Eagle model was born:

As soon as the prototype was built, i started an aggresive reffiting campaign with the previously accumulated resources just for this task, while not using the new cutting beams in defense as to not tip my hand.

As soon as I reffited all AM drive quipped ships i knew that was it:The Liir must be nearing LV by now, or i strike hard and hurt him deep or i die.Emptying nearly all of my planets, i moved my fleets all around the Pacem Stronghold (no single planet even with level 3 stations could hold all the ships) .Next turn the order was given:

All fighters attack and may the force be with us:)(i felt exactly like this :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPZigWFyK2o )

First turn i sent "only" 3 full fleets as to not tip my hand.The battles were furious , with lots of sats reinforcing the alrdy impressive Liir defense strentgh.As the the turn ended i could almost feel remotely the relief of BlueInstinct: the defense fleets were maimed , the new Crimson eagles with cutting and meson beams being an ugly surprise, but my attack fleets were killed, the defenses barely but hold.Now the next turn the smile on his face must have faded as another 3 full fleets attacked the planet!!!! :twisted:

Some pics from the assault

The Crimson Eagle mk4 fighting Liir BCs

The historical moment: Crimson Eagle mk4 blasting to duest Pacem stations, after its defendants were decimated

And yes Pacem, the 4 planets unconquerable fortresss fell that day!!!!!Things started to look up.Blueinstinct lost big income, his center of productiona nd his staging areas.In follwoign turns i was able to hit another 2 of his systems, while admitedly he managed to hit one of mine.With AM speeds our systems lay within 1 turn of each other , and the defence on both sides was much harder and prone to fail.

Knowing that Liir LV will prolly start arriving soon, i decided to go for shield magnifier as to fast boost all of my fleets with one tech : it should in theory make them at least 50 % tougher instantly.

As it turned out, it was my final mistake: tough good lookign on paper in practice the boost wasnt that good, not sure if due to some Liir good countering of my shields, or if shield magnifiers werent correctly working. Even against the old Liir ships it didnt make a big difference, and when fianlly the dreaded Liir LV and battleships arrived , my proud Crimson Eagles mk4 started to die in waves.And because of the choice to go for shield magnifiers, my own LV was even later to appear. I just lost to much systems before it could hopefully tip again the balance. With heavy heart i had to admit deafeat.

The war was lost, the galaxy was lost, Liir triumphed among the wreckage of my proud ships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQq7RP9iqD0 -> yes thats BlueInstict laughing:(

So it went:) Thanks again BI for some of my best mp gaming ever and Kerberos for the game:)
Faded steel heat

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:19 pm

truly epic thanks for posting it all!

DarkEzeal

Post by DarkEzeal » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:15 pm

Ahh, the Morrigi lost. Was a good fight and an epic AAR. Congratulations to both of you for a good game. Now to hear BI's take on the last parts :p
In game name is Zeak.
"Darkness never dies!" - Ezeal
"No one is surprised that everyone is evil, but everyone is surprised at just how evil one person can be." - Zeak

FireStorm20

Post by FireStorm20 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:49 pm

DarkEzeal wrote:Ahh, the Morrigi lost. Was a good fight and an epic AAR. Congratulations to both of you for a good game. Now to hear BI's take on the last parts :p

:)

I really tought i had a shot at wining after i took Pacem , felt like a turning point...I really messed up not speeding up the LV research, even the CP command increase is enough to make huge difference, not taking about the LV own fighting force.

Also the problem was that even if i could thoreticly in begining kill his LV fleet with all my cruisers fleets, i just never got a chance. Each turn was his attack, lost a few battleships but killed my fleet, had enough time to glass 1-2 planets, battle turn ended, next turn he escaped, reffited with more bs and came back.So my numbers never could save me, and each turn i lost a few planets...
Faded steel heat

Return to “Multiplayer Discussion”