Anyone Tried Doubles?

Lookin' for a fight? Lookin' to talk about a fight? Talk about your multiplayer tactics here.
Pavane

Anyone Tried Doubles?

Post by Pavane » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:45 am

I have frequently played in face to face, doubles, wargaming tournaments using miniatures, and it is a lot of fun. My last one was with a friend from New York against a team from Australia at Historicon. There is a lot of friendly smack talking (both with your opponents and with your partner). I was wondering if anyone had tried multi-player SotS2 with a team of two players against another team of two players. It might be enjoyable.
Stellar Union

Karu

Re: Anyone Tried Doubles?

Post by Karu » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:47 pm

We are currently running such a game.
It's a lot of fun - but you need much coordination to keep it running.

Sincerly

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:36 pm

I can imagine that running a long-term game with 4 players is twice as difficult as a game with 2. Is each team one race, or do you have mixed race teams? Did you try to make the team's starting positions such that the two players were contiguous?
Stellar Union

Karu

Post by Karu » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:32 am

We are playing Solforce (Resok) + Morrigi (me) vs Tarka (nick) + Hiver (Tucki ^^ ).
Map is Altais.
Starting conditions are 0 techs, all slider at standard, 3 GM (if I remember correctly, maybe 4 GM).
Unfortuantly there are VN - and they seem to be on our side of the galaxy. Which doesn't help with all the stones out there.

And you guessed it allready, time is a problem - since we are 2x GMT+1 and 2 PSTs :)
But we manage to get 1-3 session (2-3h per session) a week. Since holidays are near it's a little easier to set up.

Sincerly

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Interesting, we turn off the GM for MP play.

Sounds like fun. Good luck with the game.
Stellar Union

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:38 am

Pavane wrote:Interesting, we turn off the GM for MP play.

Sounds like fun. Good luck with the game.

Thanks, it's going quite well when we can get schedules to match up :)

As for GMs and MP - it's a giant wildcard that can both help or hurt. On top of the already present wildcards of systems which honestly make an even larger impact on the potential income of races involved as a whole. The playing field is never going to be balanced, so might as well focus on making the whole thing interesting. It's really all about the whole narrative over the course of the game... and there's always going to be someone who gains the advantage due to some strategy or exploitation of random chance.

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:08 am

Thanks for your observations. Including GM is not a deal breaker for me, but a MP game can be quite an investment in time and I wonder if getting whacked by 1 or 2 GM when others are unscathed might sour the experience. It also delays the game for the other players while you are fighting battles against the GM, but then they are probably happy to see your dilemma.

I find even the lesser Random Encounters to be time consuming in MP so we set it at 50%. I always auto-resolve them because I have played them so often they don't have much appeal any more. Normally they are just speed bumps in the game, but on Monday in our twice weekly MP game a Spectre attack occurred at the same time as the arrival of a long anticipated Hiver invasion fleet. I was confident that my defence fleet could handle the Hiver fleet at this key colony (and the two others due to arrive 2 and 4 turns later), but while I was engaged with the Hivers the Spectres were sure to take out the supporting Naval Station. This would force my defence fleet to relocate whether I won the battle or not, ensuring eventual Hiver success. I had to choose whether to try to save the Naval Station or prevent the deployment of a Hiver Gate. As it turned out, the Spectres ignored the Naval Station, but it had me worried during the battle.

The level of random events is best left to a group decision. I would play with lots or even none if that was the consensus. My initial reaction is that randoms add spice to SP games, but there is enough going on in a MP game that their value might not outweigh the frequent forced idle time for some of the players.
Stellar Union

Karu

Post by Karu » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:23 am

about spectre: They eat planets, ships and stations - but stations "eaten" are not destroyed - ever. Just repair them and they are fine.

And the random encouter is a balancing thing - as their chance (for each player indivindual) increases for every turn that player does not fight.
Sure, some are annoying (pirates) but supressable, others like spectre are not.
The most anyoing (VN) are not influenced by the slider so ... yeah. On the other hand you miss out neutral colonies to integrate. And nothing gives you a better grin then an enemy colonie that you couldn't touch whipped out by a meteor storm 8) .
The Ghostship is an anyoing one - only the host encouters it, the clients get an emty fight which they autowin.

I find them fun because they also counter the expansionist a little - if he need to fear to find more relics / pirate bases / Queen Hive then they might not scout with 1 cnc and 4 colos for their fast expanding ...

Sincerly

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Good points. My friend & I will be sure to discuss them when we setup a new game.
Stellar Union

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:47 pm

Yeah, team games are my favorite. It is quite rare to coordinate schedules beyond 4 players, though, so more than 2v2 doesn't really happen.

Return to “Multiplayer Discussion”