Anyone Commerce Raid in MP?

Lookin' for a fight? Lookin' to talk about a fight? Talk about your multiplayer tactics here.
Pavane

Anyone Commerce Raid in MP?

Post by Pavane » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:39 pm

I am not currently at war with my opponent as we are both engaged in wars with AI neighbours, so I thought I would spice up the game and build a few privateer fleets and raid his major worlds using Piracy missions. It took him by surprise, but after a couple of turns he figured out what was happening (neither of us had ever researched Commerce Raiding before). It was fun. The battles are short, he loses trade income and has to replace the freighters, I pick up some cash, possibly gain some salvage, and evaluate first-hand what his combat ships are like. He has responded by creating anti-pirate patrols, and is talking about researching Convoys and building some Q-ships. This economic war has opened up a new dimension of play at least until the final war begins.
Stellar Union

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Re: Anyone Commerce Raid in MP?

Post by Resok » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:29 am

Yup, it's quite fun. My recent trick I was using is bringing along assault shuttle cruisers on pirate raids ;)

Took out my enemies homeworld that way in a game.

The little fun hidden details about player piracy are:

Reaction on admirals patrolling allow you to find enemy privateer fleets easier.

This is countered by the privateer admiral's evasion rating.

Beyond this of course technologies like deep scan, scan satellites, cloaking, and stealth armor all factor in as well.

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:51 pm

I am sure that it took several 2.5 min. "pirate raids" using assault shuttles to take out his home world.

I've started with raiding forces of 3 x Boarding, 1 x Supply, 1 x Repair, and 1 x Command (endurance 3T)in the MP game because capturing the freighters yield twice as much bounty, and a fleet this size can generally survive an encounter with his warships.

In a separate SP game I am using 2 x Extended Range, 1 x Repair, and 1 x Command (endurance 4T) and just go for the kill, with more privateer fleets. I think it is the first time that I have built an ER cruiser, so once again it adds a new dimension to play. The ER cruisers reminds me of the SMS Emden, and other German commerce raiders of WW I.
Stellar Union

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:29 pm

Yeah I like ER cruisers for a few reasons.

1. They're cheaper than Armor + X2 Camel modules (losses are cheap and easy to replace)
2. Moderately effective in combat (far better than supply ships in this regard)
3. Generally lower supply consumption per turn, though total supply ends up being similar to Armor + X2 camels

Almost full fleet of Tarka assault shuttle cruisers are devastating. Every turn I was able to do damage halts all population growth and depleted morale pretty heavily. Combine this with freighter losses causing economic rating damage (which further reduces his morale per turn) caused a steady decline in his HW morale eventually resulting in a revolt if I recall correctly.

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:36 pm

My Morrigi boarding pods sure have a tough time against Liir-Zuul ships. Capturing a small freighter is no problem, but I happened on a construction fleet last night and 12 pods couldn't even capture a LZ Construction ship! In another battle 12 pods couldn't even capture a LZ Armour cruiser. I will switch to destroying instead of capturing with the Morrigi and have more, smaller privateer fleets. Destroy the shipping and then kite any reprisal force.

P.S.
I looked at the game files and I see that it is a very uneven battle. Fresh Liir marines have a 1.8 multiplier vs. a 1.0 multiplier for Morrigi.
Stellar Union

Pavane

Post by Pavane » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:26 pm

I don't have the Xeno-analysis tech yet, but I am going to try adding a Propaganda cruiser to my privateer fleets. I have never built one before and it may be amusing. Piracy missions are perfect to get the ship into an enemy system, especially if it doesn't have any trade because it will not be generating combats. Looking at the Wiki, Tarka have a really fast and well armoured P-ship. It might very well be able to run if caught by an enemy patrol fleet.
Stellar Union

Karu

Post by Karu » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:08 pm

Scoutships in conjuntion with warp (as tarka) should be able to stay an extendend amount of time without the chance to get caught.
Having 1 boarding cruiser with you to board the tradeships can be quite amusing too.
Extended stays with the propaganda cruiser might be fun to (can tarka P ships warp? o.O ).

Sincerly

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:19 pm

Karu wrote:Extended stays with the propaganda cruiser might be fun to (can tarka P ships warp? o.O ).

With Warp Bubble I believe all ships in the fleet go the speed of the fastest, so yes. I believe they start out at Fusion speeds though without Warp Bubble.

Karu

Post by Karu » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:27 pm

Resok wrote:
Karu wrote:Extended stays with the propaganda cruiser might be fun to (can tarka P ships warp? o.O ).

With Warp Bubble I believe all ships in the fleet go the speed of the fastest, so yes. I believe they start out at Fusion speeds though without Warp Bubble.

I meant the tactical warp - strategical movement is another thing that would help there a lot
Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Sincerly

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:49 pm

Ahh, I don't think that Warp Pulse is available in tactical unless it's an AM Warp engine. I could be mistaken though.

Return to “Multiplayer Discussion”