Multiplayer battles and battle manager

Lookin' for a fight? Lookin' to talk about a fight? Talk about your multiplayer tactics here.
closterman

Multiplayer battles and battle manager

Post by closterman » Wed May 07, 2014 1:09 am

Hey everyone!

I've recently started playing sots2 multiplayer with a friend of mine against the IA and I have a couple of things that I've noticed. I do not know whether they are intentional, a bug that should be reported in the appropriate forum or something that has not been thought of and should the, once again, the subject of a post in the proper place. I am, however, counting on the experience of others to point me in the right direction.

Small detail, I host the game.

First thing, is that my friend is unable to use the battle manager at the beginning of a battle. It's grayed out and a message "battle manager is not available in multiplayer" appears when moused over. That sounds intentional, however, I am able to use the battle manager. Is that normal or a bug and if it is normal, can I get an explanation as to why we wouldn't be able to use it? (for the sake of curiosity and also to have something to present to my friend)

Second thing is there is no way whatsoever to guess at where the enemy fleets might spawn in the battle. I can see the red arrow pointing at where they are coming from but, unlike usual, They do not spawn in front of it (And they do not have any captured sector to spawn on.) Same goes for my friend. I can place my fleet, assuming I have captured sectors or as I am hiver, I spawn at my gate. My friend systematically spawns right on top of where the enemy does, even if they are coming from opposite directions. Sometimes they are not even in the sectors, bu rather out in the emptiness of space. Making it rather impossible for our fleets to join up because we're so far apart.

thirdly and this is a rather small one, the icons of the fighting empires (up on the right), display me against my ally and my actual enemy. Our (allied) ships don't fire at one another, so it's not a real issue, it just looks odd.

And lastly and that one should very probably go in the suggestion forum, shouldn't there be "allied controlled sectors" where both me and my friend can spawn? (assuming we are allowed to choose using battle manager)? They could be golden of silver so as not to be confusing?

Before submitting, I'd like to present my apologies for any strange syntax or grammatical errors one might find (I do my best but English is not my mother tongue and it sometimes comes out strange)

Cheers!

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Multiplayer battles and battle manager

Post by Mecron » Wed May 07, 2014 1:12 am

THanks for posting and the bug is that neither of you should be able to use it. As for your starting positions you can use the battle manager BEFORE ending the turn

closterman

Post by closterman » Wed May 07, 2014 1:16 am

So that means if I don't get there before the enemy I don't get to position my fleets? Alright, I can live with that but I don't quite understand why? Is it simply because that would require a shared battle manager and therefore be more complex to create coding wise?

Cheers

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed May 07, 2014 8:27 pm

sync issues

closterman

Post by closterman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:05 pm

Thanks for the answers!

Return to “Multiplayer Discussion”