How's MP these days?

Lookin' for a fight? Lookin' to talk about a fight? Talk about your multiplayer tactics here.
Kingsransom

How's MP these days?

Post by Kingsransom » Tue May 27, 2014 11:35 pm

hey new player here, just wondering if there is some group of people that play mp once a week or so because I'd like too see what this game has to offer against a real opponent! Seems like its got such great potential you can only do so much with AI. Also I think it would be cool if we set up like "rules" before hand as in maybe have empire limits with a "neutral" zone between were we go to fight but nobody ever colonizes. I think what I'm getting at is I'd just like to play some skirmishes and see the shiny graphics more than building an empire!

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Re: How's MP these days?

Post by Resok » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:44 pm

Heya Kingsransom - MP has been a lot of fun. I have a group of folks I play with every weekend pretty regularly for the last 6+ months. We play a variety of team games, FFAs, and smaller 1v1s and quite enjoy it.

Generally we don't go with any 'rules' like neutral zones since it would hamper some races pretty significantly as the balance paradigm of the game is pretty asymmetrical. Some races benefit significantly from some strategic advantages like speedy early expansion but suffer in other departments like tactical speed, sturdiness, or weapons. In other words creating restrictions on expansion and exploration would end up favoring certain races that have stronger ship designs in tactical combat. It would also favor high tech races as they'd have a set territory they could expand safely into without worrying about early skirmishing and could rapidly use their natural research bonus and tech chances to gain a significant advantage or skip specific techs that would otherwise hamper them in early expansion/aggression.

Anyway just my personal opinion from many hours of MP games. I know not everyone enjoys the early build up/skirmishing part of the game but I feel it's essential for staking out your territory and the battle lines.

Kingsransom

Post by Kingsransom » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:52 pm

Thanks for the info Resok do you guys play on steam or just know each other and jump on mp? I'd like to get my feet wet playing some MP seems like you guys have a blast

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:34 pm

Yeah, we coordinate and chat over steam generally and plan a time to get together. When everyone is around on Steam we open up a group chat and start up a game.

Feel free to add me on Steam (Resok). Should be able to carve some time out for a SOTS2 match with you sometime :)

When are your usual play times and time zone? I'm PST and generally not available during the week except for the later evenings after 8 PM or so and various parts of the weekends.

duckbird

Post by duckbird » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:06 pm

Heya, add me on steam too! "duck_bird"

Almost done with my move. By next week I should have time to play some MP sots2 again!

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Excellent :) Looking forward to continuing our game (if work for me isn't swamped in the evenings anyway).

Return to “Multiplayer Discussion”