SotS II Scenario Editor

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

Vengashii

Re: SotS II Scenario Editor

Post by Vengashii » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:07 pm

Veng- As always, the sots community will continue to have access to the same editors we have. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Nspace » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:10 pm

Vengashii wrote:
Veng- As always, the sots community will continue to have access to the same editors we have. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

:) !lol

Don't get too excited. The only editor Kerberos seems to have had for SotS 1 was the Apollo Effects Editor. Everything else (maps, scenarios, ship sections, weapons) was created "by hand", i.e. without an editor. :)
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:15 pm

Hey! Microsoft TextPad is a fine, fine editor, thank you very much :lol:

amtie

Post by amtie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:38 pm

What? No Netbeans or Eclipse or something?

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Reminds me of the time I was telling a fellow dev about my dipping into php a little and they wanted to know how I liked some suite of tools... (at the time I was using Textpad/notepad/vi and my linux home server).
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:46 pm

Notepad++ rocks!

Vengashii

Post by Vengashii » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:56 pm

I'll happily use whatever the devs are using :P

Gwenio

Post by Gwenio » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:01 am

Unless they add scripting to create special scenarios I personally do not see the point in a dedicated editor, and even if they do simple text editors do rock.

amtie

Post by amtie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:49 am

Simple text editors are good enough when you're doing small university-project scale work. But a commercial-scale software project requires a little more than the humble STE. :wink:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:20 pm

sooooo sots prime was not commercial scale? 8)

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Of course not, it was obviously a small student project. :wink: :mrgreen:

Though if we leave away the second "a" the sentence would actually be correct...
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:09 pm

Mecron wrote:sooooo sots prime was not commercial scale? 8)

At the end of the day, doing it all old school is usually the best... of course, who has time or patience to write a game like SotS II in assembly... but I think notepad.exe is pretty hard-core and totally cool with me! ;)

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:07 pm

I'm sure Kerberos has commercial dev tools for coding, compliling, version management, modelling, and texturing. Probably a few in-house tools too. But whatever it is that makes a "Scenario" can be put together in Notepad. Presumably it is simple enough, unique enough (not a widely-used programming or scripting language) or infrequent enough that more complex tools are not warranted.

Let's at least try to keep the scope of the original question/answer in mind while pontificating on how it should be done. :roll:
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Gwenio

Post by Gwenio » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:18 pm

amtie wrote:Simple text editors are good enough when you're doing small university-project scale work. But a commercial-scale software project requires a little more than the humble STE. :wink:

Then you get out the simple text editor Mk 2 (such as Notepad++ and similar). :thumbsup:

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:10 pm

Gwenio wrote:
amtie wrote:Simple text editors are good enough when you're doing small university-project scale work. But a commercial-scale software project requires a little more than the humble STE. :wink:

Then you get out the simple text editor Mk 2 (such as Notepad++ and similar). :thumbsup:

As it is true anything can be run in Notepad or Notepad++ I am sure it not hurtful unless you like to keep your time. To invest in a map editor and such.

Largely a Map editor is nice however you spend more time creating the editor then you do editing maps. Now there aren't that many maps in SotS and it still contains a high playability value do to the maps simplicity.

Because of this, making lots and lots of maps is not really necessary. Therefore I don't think SotS will ever need a full on UI map maker complete with starting locations and Ai movement percentages.

However I don't think the devs would be mad if somone spent 6 months after release making a full UI editor and happened to *accidentally* leak it onto the forums for all (including DEVs) to download. :wink:

Basically put if you want to improve the current editor make one yourself? :roll: !blah

Return to “Suggestions”