Rant about Feasibility Studies

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

ProjectLevyDelta

Re: Rant about Feasibility Studies

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:27 pm

Goekhan wrote:^ It is not only that. I've failed to develop some techs with 70ish percents. And I've spent 10-15 turns trying to research it. Seeing something below 30 percent, and avoiding it is fine, but losing valuable research time and then failing to develop something, this just drives me crazy.

Like I said it the Sadorandomizer 2.0 meant to drive you incredibly crazy.

P.S new patch is out for anyone who didn't know

Scynix

Post by Scynix » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:28 pm

ProjectLevyDelta wrote:LoL so you don't like the Sadorandomizers 2.0?? that is udnerstandable :twisted:

Although you're playing ENTIRELY the wrong game if you don't like sadorandomizers. Seriously.

First time a system killer decides to roll directly through your space avoiding every other player right when everyone is *just* getting their first Dreadnaughts out.... whooo yeah.
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ~ Winston Churchill

Profound_Darkness

Post by Profound_Darkness » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:50 pm

I only skimmed most of the thread and didn't see this get mentioned.

Feasibility studies have another strategic component. If you have no special technology or structures (related to research) the feasibility percent can vary wildly from reality (you really did or didn't roll it). There is a psy tree item that increases the accuracy of feasibility and the more science modules you have the higher the accuracy.

If a tree is important to you and you really want to not waste time on research you might get, deck out a science station in that tree.
Mecron wrote:... "Hey aliens!! Candygram from the planet of crazy talking monkeys!!" ...

my fav tactical w/fav races :)

GeorgeWhite

Post by GeorgeWhite » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:04 pm

Scynix wrote:
ProjectLevyDelta wrote:LoL so you don't like the Sadorandomizers 2.0?? that is udnerstandable :twisted:

Although you're playing ENTIRELY the wrong game if you don't like sadorandomizers. Seriously.

First time a system killer decides to roll directly through your space avoiding every other player right when everyone is *just* getting their first Dreadnaughts out.... whooo yeah.

I thought the idea of a sadorandomizer was that it was a sadisdic git that gave you 1% for x-ray lasers and your enemy 99% chance for menson beams, then you actualy getting x-ray lasers and your enemy not getting the beams! its evil :twisted:
i appologise for my spelling and grammer

Goekhan

Post by Goekhan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:10 pm

ProjectLevyDelta wrote:P.S new patch is out for anyone who didn't know

Yeah. I'm getting same crashes, VN crash, system map crash, SuperWorld crash. But especially the system map crash is crippling my games, as others can be avoided. I started to think that it is related to planetary heavy beams... no idea aside from that.

And I'll be avoiding trade for now. Don't know what goes on.

Profound_Darkness wrote:Feasibility studies have another strategic component. If you have no special technology or structures (related to research) the feasibility percent can vary wildly from reality (you really did or didn't roll it). There is a psy tree item that increases the accuracy of feasibility and the more science modules you have the higher the accuracy.

If a tree is important to you and you really want to not waste time on research you might get, deck out a science station in that tree.

Then how come I still have 5% chance researches in a tree with over 30% bonus?
Last edited by Goekhan on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProjectLevyDelta

Post by ProjectLevyDelta » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:11 pm

i always viewed it as You being Hiver and fighting Zuul and while the Sadorandomizer gave Zuul Antimatter missiles it skimped you out on both pd and pd phasors :lol:

GeorgeWhite

Post by GeorgeWhite » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:13 pm

ProjectLevyDelta wrote:i always viewed it as You being Hiver and fighting Zuul and while the Sadorandomizer gave Zuul Antimatter missiles it skimped you out on both pd and pd phasors :lol:

:googly:

Scynix

Post by Scynix » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:19 pm

Goekhan wrote:Then how come I still have 5% chance researches in a tree with over 30% bonus?

Because as far as I'm aware he's actually incorrect and the % bonus is to research, not feasibility.
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ~ Winston Churchill

GeorgeWhite

Post by GeorgeWhite » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:26 pm

If im wroung im wroung, but i like to see proof.

and should i be wroung i will appologise. but untill then i belive i am right. :)

Goekhan

Post by Goekhan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:33 pm

Yeah, just started a new game, and phasers at 61% still at 61% after building several modules.

GeorgeWhite

Post by GeorgeWhite » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Goekhan wrote:Yeah, just started a new game, and phasers at 61% still at 61% after building several modules.

it could be broken, but you could also be right.

but i belive that it is also supposed to work in relation to salvage and capturing ships with particular technonogly.

and further node: don't lab modules just increace the money to research points ratio for that particular field? :roll:

Slavjukebox

Post by Slavjukebox » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:56 pm

Scynix wrote:Although you're playing ENTIRELY the wrong game if you don't like sadorandomizers. Seriously.

Sadorandomizer is great, I've got no beef with that. Best game I ever played, System Killer showed up pre-dreadnought, took out four of my worlds including two key front-line defense points in a barbell map where I'd already been stuck in the middle of the pipe. The loss of node lines left me unable to go on a meaningful offensive against opponents on that end of the galaxy until I'd maxed my drive and energy techs so I could actually make the single long-distance node jump that would take me into that side, I got no PD or Node Missiles, and then the Tarka at the end of that long node line had an AI rebellion.

I survived and had the coolest fights ever, including a battle over the Klackon homeworld (all bugs are Klackons) with over a hundred dreadnoughts engaged in total between both sides. Great game.

But futile grind, not so much. Feasibility studies on the primary research track mean I'm throwing turns into techs that I may or may not get after spending turns trying to develop them. For my tastes it detracts from the flavor of the game.

Mudkips

Post by Mudkips » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:02 am

Feasibility gives you a %chance that you will be able to research a tech.
If you're mad that you got a 80% feasibility rating and didn't get the tech, too bad. That happens 20% of the time. Deal with it.

It's far better to see all techs and have to do feasibility studies than it is to wonder if whether or not you'll ever see the tech in your tree, or if you have to hunt down a different path to get to it, etc.

Labs only affect research efficiency, they do not affect the results of a feasibility study. They do not affect the feasibilitty of techs. They may affect the effeiciency of the feasibility study itself, causing it to take fewer turns to complete the feasibility study, but I am not sure.

PvtNutter

Post by PvtNutter » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:08 am

EDIT; Ninja'd by mudkips with a differing perspective on the modules, so profound could be wrong and my clarification of his post pointless... It will take some experimentation for us to know if modules increase speed of the feasibility studies, or increase the accuracy of their results....

@scynix / Goekhan
I think you misunderstand his post.

Profound_Darkness wrote:If you have no special technology or structures (related to research) the feasibility percent can vary wildly from reality (you really did or didn't roll it). There is a psy tree item that increases the accuracy of feasibility and the more science modules you have the higher the accuracy.

bolded important words...

He is not saying these things will turn your 5% into 80%, or give you a tech you didn't roll. He's saying the ACCURACY of your feasability study is improved. Meaning, with none of these things in place, your 5% may very well complete, and your 75% may very well fail - they are inaccurate percentages, guesses even. Now,say you have tech and structures for 80% boost to a given tree. The accuracy of your feasability study is increased and will return you a percentage much closer to reality - so if you get a 5% back, you know NOT to waste your time. And if you get 75% back, you can probably feel safe trying it - even though it's still not 100%.

So if you installed modules, and you got 60%, it just means it is more likely to be 60%, rather than the game lying to you and laughing at you in binary when you queue the research only to see it go 200% over budget...

Goekhan

Post by Goekhan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:36 am

Yup yup. I realized I misunderstood it a few hours ago, but was lazy to edit my posts :d

Return to “Suggestions”