Suul'ka as menaces

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

Spitz

Suul'ka as menaces

Post by Spitz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:46 am

I would enjoy having the Suul'ka pop up as random menaces, or perhaps as a grand menace, in games without a Zuul Horde player. I'd love the opportunity to more frequently go toe-to-toe with more of the game's eponymous Lords of Winter.
Contritionem praecedit superbia et ante ruinam exaltatur spiritus.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Suul'ka as menaces

Post by Mecron » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Hmm that's an interesting idea ;)

EnigmaticDoctor

Post by EnigmaticDoctor » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:52 am

Not sure about the random menace. But definately like the idea of the Sullka Grand Menaces. Though that kind of sounds like a Senario. It might be cool if they were like Extra Grand Menaces. In the spirit of the RNG's occasional "Stuff You" moments.

Summary: Yes please.
:mg: :pit: :sots1: :bob: :amoc: :any: :wave:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:00 pm

yeah they would have to be grand ;)

MrBoom

Post by MrBoom » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:29 am

I think that having the Suul'ka go "rogue" if the controlling Zuul player lost their tribute station would be a pretty good way to handle it. It'd randomly attack any faction, even the one that called it in (since obviously that faction proved itself to be weak and therefore fit only to be destroyed :twisted: )

Sabin Stargem

Post by Sabin Stargem » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:31 pm

I am thinking that when not acting on the behalf of a Zuul empire, the Lords of Winter could be wandering the galaxy, doing things such as making nests of high-value systems or messing people's worlds up at random. When summoned by an Zuul empire, one of the Suul'ka would abandon their nest until released from service.

Now, this concept creates two opportunities for various empires. The first is that they could attack a Suul'ka Nest in order to kill that Suul'ka, preventing it from being controlled by a Zuul empire. However, failure to finish the job would result in that Suul'ka retaliating at the very least, and possibly may attract the unwanted attention of the other Suul'ka. Secondly, when a Suul'ka leaves the nest, there is many treasures to be found in the nest. An empire could potentially enter the nest and steal those resources. However, a returning Suul'ka would become angry and attack whoever it thought to be responsible.

Considering that there are seven Suul'ka currently, this should be a large enough number to allow for some of them being slain as the game progresses. This is important, as the trump card of the Zuul shouldn't disappear too quickly. Maybe the Suul'ka could gradually restore and upgrade their armor as they receive tribute and conduct raids? Each Suul'ka could have a gimmick in relation to their nests and raiding behavior, as appropriate to their nature.

EG: Siren taking control of ships to create a personal bodyguard and militia for the nest.

Saphiel

Post by Saphiel » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:18 am

Suul'ka don't act on behalf of the Zuul, nor would they be 'released from service', since a Suul'ka serves noone but him/herself.
If the Zuul call a Suul'ka, this Suul'ka effectively takes control of the Zuul empire. The Zuul are their slaves after all, nothing more but tools. And I don't think Suul'ka would build nests, they don't have a use for something like that. It's more likely that they would roam around and eat worlds when they are hungry, or smash some ships of those puny insects or anything along those lines. The Bloodweaver might fire random plagues at worlds and the Siren might abduct ships though.

Sabin Stargem

Post by Sabin Stargem » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:36 am

From my viewpoint, the Suul'ka are effectively the SOTSverse equivalent of demons, in that they can be enticed into service with the appropriate sacrifices. Going by lore surrounding demonic summonings, one of the possible names for this process is to forge a contract. As with demons, you would want to treat Suul'ka with...care, as the repercussions for invoking their wrath can be dire indeed, which is why you give them things to make them more inclined to be angry at someone else.

Anyhow, I use the word 'nest', because I figure that Suul'ka are like any other creature in that they would have a place to call home. After all, the champion of the Liir - the Black, is effectively a 'good' Suul'ka who slumbers at an undisclosed location between major battles. While the Suul'ka undoubtedly take in much more energy, there has to be times when the pickings are relatively thin and requires time for the food to replenish itself. Hence, the requirement for a nest of some kind. Perhaps 'domain' would be more appropriate?

All that fluff, however, is simply an excuse to create opportunities for the player to interact with the Suul'ka.

zortlord

Post by zortlord » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:03 am

Wouldn't the "pit" be considered a "nest"?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:09 am

the Pit is more like a locker or ant farm ;)

Ciurrioc

Post by Ciurrioc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:56 am

-_- as if My self esteem didn't take enough of a hit playing the Pit lol.
Has seen the Cover of the fabled Mecronomicon

"Who's hands shape what is"

Been around since 07...forum ate my account...rip 8/3/13

Thamuzz

Post by Thamuzz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:48 pm

Mecron wrote:the Pit is more like a locker or ant farm ;)

Given that it belongs to the Bloodweaver, perhaps art supply cabinet?

Although, finding a Suul'ka storage cache could represent a technological boon, the same way stripping a derelict could in SotS Prime.
Perhaps a random event might create a special project tied to a planet or asteroid belt, which results in either a semi-random tech or temp tech boost?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:43 pm

You are one of those guys in the B5 universe who thinks expeditions to former shadow planets are a great idea, aren't you? :twisted:

Thamuzz

Post by Thamuzz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:12 am

Mecron wrote:You are one of those guys in the B5 universe who thinks expeditions to former shadow planets are a great idea, aren't you? :twisted:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
New idea: there would be a small chance that one of these special projects would spawn a grand menace (Suul'ka or... other :twisted: ) over the planet it is based on.

Edit: "Protean Bloom": Planet becomes uninhabitable, starts spawning proteans ships. Infection spreads if not aggressively contained.

Return to “Suggestions”