Positive Battle Chatter?

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: Erinys

disayle31

Positive Battle Chatter?

Post by disayle31 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:46 am

All my ship captains are pessimistic wimps.

To clarify, their radio chatter during battle consists entirely of negative comments (aside from the neutral acknowledgement of orders). "WE HAVE TAKEN A TERRIBLE BLOW MY KHAN." "OUR SHIP IS CRITICALLY WOUNDED MY CHIEFTAIN." "A LARGE GUN LOST, MY KHAN." "OUR VESSEL BLEEDS, ELDER." "DAMAGE LEVEL CRITICAL, BROTHER." "KAAN DAI, THE SHIP IS DAMAGED." And so on. This of course happens even if a battle is going well.

Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this. It's hilarious--a battle can be going amazingly, but if I closed my eyes and listened, I'd think I was getting my ass kicked. Sometimes I do just that and giggle like a schoolgirl for a few moments. But I'd be lying if I didn't say that sometimes I wished for a little something more. In a future game/expansion/DLC, would some positive battle chatter be completely out of the question? I'd even volunteer to do the voice work myself, no questions asked! Either way, it'd be really nice for the battle chatter to have some positives thrown in. Examples I thought up while writing this:

Morrigi:
(Enemy ship destroyed) "The enemy ship falls to our might, my Khan!" "I hope they had Ascension armor, chieftain." "The dosh'linq pay the ultimate price for their arrogance, Khan." "One less enemy of the Travellers, chieftain."
(Enemy ship section destroyed) "We have struck a great blow, my Chieftain!" "The enemy ship is near destruction, Khan." "They will join their ancestors soon, Chieftain." "The doshl'linq's vessel reels, Khan--press the attack!"
(Enemy station destroyed) "The enemy megaron has fallen, Chieftain!" "You are the new Khabul of the Burning Cities, Khan." "We have hurled their megaron from the sky, chieftain!" "They will have seen that explosion from the planet, my Khan."

Human:
(Enemy ship destroyed) "Enemy ship destroyed, sir!" "Not too bad for puny humans!" "I love the smell of roasted aliens in the morning!" Samuel L. Jackson: "Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your ship in half?" "That was an ugly-ass ship, sir." "They do make pretty explosions, I'll give them that." (Bonus points if those two are said one after the other)
(Enemy ship section destroyed) "They're venting atmosphere, sir!" "Commander, the enemy ship is badly damaged!" "I bet that threw them off their feet, sir." "I wouldn't want to be in their place, sir." "Sir, they're listing! Keep up the pressure!"
(Enemy station destroyed) "Watch out for debris!" "They'll get a great meteor shower down there, sir." "Hostile space station has been eliminated, Commander!" "I bet they saw that on the planet, sir." "I can't wait to put our station up, sir."

Zuul:
(Enemy ship destroyed) "The slaves' vessel is shattered, Dominus." "The Kraken would be pleased, Lord." "We have destroyed a heretic warship, Dominus." "Resistance is futile, slave." "Their screams are music to my mind, Lord."
(Enemy ship section destroyed) "The slaves struggle, Dominus, but their end is near." "The heretic ship is badly damaged, Lord." "They are panicking, Dominus--finish them off!" "Shall we save some for He Who Shapes?"
(Enemy station destroyed) "The heretic altar is no more, Dominus." "Their pitiful station burns, Lord." "We shall erect a great altar in its place, Dominus."

Those are all I can think of right now, but I think I've made my point. :P Sometimes I think my ship captains actually want to say something optimistic. What do you all think?

ForceUser

Re: Positive Battle Chatter?

Post by ForceUser » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:20 pm

Some of those might be a bit missplaced if say, human vs human so that will have to either be taken into account or the saying be more race neutral (humans saying alien when fighting humans for example.)

BUT, I really like the idea. Voice acting does cost a bit though :( but might be feasible for an expansion.
Perspective Man: Much like common sense, it's so rare it's a gorram superpower.
Agent.nihilist wrote:Ooo! Whats the gesture for ramming!?
Korgan wrote:probably a pelvic thrust
Mecron wrote:oy that is wrong at so many levels...well done! :P

marshb

Post by marshb » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:26 pm

Lol, most of these are spot on especially the morrigi ones! Great job! Maybe in the next expansion or surly in the sequel! :D
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Darkwing dack

Post by Darkwing dack » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:47 pm

disayle31 wrote:
"You are the new Khabul of the Burning Cities, Khan."

Sounds like an achivment. :awesome:
+1

Return to “Suggestions”