Pavlov's Democracy

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Pavlov's Democracy

Post by Mecron » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:07 pm

pretty much. I can't imagine the 1 percent are super thrilled with anyone reminding people that they are the real causes of revolution usually.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Well if the 1 percent actually spent more time and resources trying to improve the lives of their fellow man rather than trying to hoard even more of the stuff they could never spend in 100 lifetimes, there would likely be more goodwill pointing in their direction.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

DemoMonkey

Post by DemoMonkey » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:25 pm

I'm more cynical. Revolutions don't happen just because the 1% exist. They happen when a critical mass of people stop believing they have a chance of they (or their children) ever becoming one of that 1%.

I think state sponsored mega-lotteries are a great tool to prevent that happening.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:06 pm

Are you aware of the excesses of czarist Russia and pre Castro Cuba.

I do totally agree about the pacification effects of lotteries and documentaries about the houses of rich people.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:49 pm

It's also a matter of just how much the "1%" are leveraging their economical advantage to exploit the general masses.

There hasn't been a single revolution in a country where the general population could genuinely say that "The laws are fair, I can give my children a better future, my personal safety is guaranteed and I have secure access to food, water and housing".

Withhold even one of these things and you're playing with fire. With enough wealth independent of taxes (generally natural resources) you can still hold on to power through armed oppression, but then you'll have to juggle military politics as well.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:39 pm

What's the point of exploiting the general masses if you can't joke about it though?

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Disney buys out most of FOX, but not FOX network programming such as FOX News, which will be spun out into a new corporation. Wonder if this will mean any changes to right wing media. Is it too much to hope the new corporation will not strictly be a Bannon propaganda tool?
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

DemoMonkey

Post by DemoMonkey » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:28 pm

Perhaps Disney considered Fox News a bad fit to it's brand.

Spun out to a new corporation, I wouldn't expect it to change it's stance any until/unless it stops making money.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:44 am

Hey. Good news. Roy Moore, the homophobic, antisemitic, islamophobic republican candidate with ties to racistic organisations, radical christianism (of the "what religious freedom?" kind) and accused of sexual assault didn't win the Alabama special senatorial election.

The bad news. Only by the slightest of margins (49.9 vs 48.4% of the vote), and only after a record turnout by Alabama black voters.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:07 am

It's one of the reddest states in the country, with centuries of racism and the fallout thereof as pat of its legacy. Asking for progress toward blue state attitudes and numbers to happen overnight -- well it could never have happened, and won't anytime soon. It'll take Alabama a generation to move far enough left that it reaches the point swing states are at today, in terms of progressive ideals, if it happens at all. It's to be expected that the margin of victory would be slim. That's not news, good or bad, so much as it's just the reality of the region.

As for black turnout... it was good, yes, but I think the dispiritedness of the Moore vote was the more telling factor.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:30 pm

Actually no...the black vote, especially black women, carried the day. White voter numbers were pretty much on track and still pretty happy with a bible thumping teenager hound. It might be time to just start going around the aging, delusional, white vote and just concentrate on the younger voters of all races and to make minorities more aware and excited about liberal candidates.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:15 am

I think you are misinformed on the turnout in Republican counties here, Mec.

Sources:
http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/al ... n-results/
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/em ... n-alabama/

Yes, the black vote was strong - about as strong as it was when Obama was president. I will agree this is an excellent result, all things considered. And margins of victory in heavily Republican counties were about what you'd expect. But voter turnout on those heavily Republican counties was very low - only about half as many Republican voters showed up for Moore as showed up for Trump, and it was pretty crippling. Overall they just couldn't muster the vote count, even with normal-ish margins of victory. Some of that is on Moore, some of that is on Trump. But those voters mostly didn't switch to vote Democrat -- they just stayed home.

I agree that conservatives have a big demographics problem coming in the future, as there are a lot more young Democrats than young Republicans, and Trump has only made this trend worse.
Last edited by ZedF on Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:49 am

Well Net Neutrality died in the US yesterday. Fun times for internet users ahead!

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Technically it still has a way to go. The FCC made that vote and all, but it still also has to pass through Congress to not mention courts(and in Congress, some republicans are already starting to break rank to mention support for motions to basically enforce net neutrality anyway. Making me wonder some of the ISP-backed goons forgot to check with their colleagues to see if the loss of net neutrality would hurt some of their own in-party "allies" 's own political donations from businesses that could stand being hurt by the loss of net neutrality).

It's still a tough fight ahead, but really it's only the start of it. And we all knew this particular vote was going to go in this way anyhow.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-petition- ... 1821330209

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”