The "Women in Gaming" Thread

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: The "Women in Gaming" Thread

Post by Mecron » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Actually I am a bit angry at the women in that case, not because of victim shaming them or anything but because of the way they conducted themselves during the trial. Facebooking and texting details when you are part of the prosecution is not a bloody good idea. I think he IS guilty but watching the trial I was wishing it could have been thrown out and a new case started.
Last edited by Mecron on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:08 pm

This is important for a lot of people glossing over the problem...

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/09/09/ ... o-campaign

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:09 pm

I didn't read the thread but there are a handful of industries now (mostly "tech" related) where we as a society need an immediate woman takeover..... it's not easy but given the nature of these industries every day is a big loss.... But it requires a strong inside and outside effort to make that happen, and I think everyone with some influence needs to work overtime to make that happen...... keep that in mind

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:38 am

https://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-the ... 1803122167

Didn't expect to post about this here(in fact I didn't expect to post about this at all as I'd half-forgotten about that website until this article brought it back to my memory) but to a certain degree I actually started PC gaming somewhat later than others, having been content to generally watch other people play instead until a certain age.

But I recall finding this website ages ago and, while I rarely went out of my way to try to play some of these games(because of the stigma of piracy, even for "abandoned" games, which is why I hesitated posting about this here for a moment), I do recall browsing and reading reviews of titles that basically came before my time well before I started playing games in the first place(as an '86 kid who really started actively gaming only in the early 2000s, especially regarding PC games).

I have to say though that it was interesting to read about the site's origins and Sarinee Achavanuntakul's involvement in it's founding and creation, and her own perspective regarding her past experiences with video games and gaming in Thailand.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:03 am

Awesome article Lud. Always interesting to read about the people and events that helped shape gaming as we know it. I never personally used the site but I do remember hunting down some of the classic old titles with friends back in the day.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

marshb

Post by marshb » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:48 pm

While this article doesn't fall under the gaming tag, it does under entertainment. Salma Hayeks op ed in the NYTs tells a very harrowing but fair description of her time working for Harvey Weinstein. I wish I had her strength of character.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... stein.html
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:27 pm

To be fair, being already rich and famous helps a bit. I am glad she spoke up but I am more impressed with the courage of waitresses in fast food joints trying to band together to be heard.

marshb

Post by marshb » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:44 pm

I agree. I just wish they could get an equally large podium so they can be heard just as loudly.
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

marshb

Post by marshb » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:28 pm

A very powerful poem read by Halsey at the Womans March.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wa ... 28300337ac

Orison of Sonmi-451

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:29 pm

That is brutal and amazing. Would be interesting to do a reaction video of various kinds of men reading it.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 pm

A look at Atari's early corporate culture through the eyes of 12 of its earliest female employees.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 pm

that was a very interesting piece.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:52 am

Yes it was. From the looks of things, despite Atari obviously having/encouraging some things that in today's business world would be highly frowned upon, it seems to have treated its female employees very well over all and valued the contribution of the individual rather than the individual's gender.

For a company operating 40 years ago, that is significant. "If you could do the work, you got promoted." Why have we, as a society, veered away from something so elementary?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:35 pm

well lets not put a halo on them but I think its an interesting study of levels of consent in the early days. Over the top but no visible penalties for opting out. I do think the point about yeah it felt ok wondering how many women peeked their head into that part of tech and never returned.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:00 pm

No halo for them by any means. But I'm also looking through the scope of 4 decades ago in the heart of the 70s.

Like I said, they obviously did things/allowed things that would not be ignored or waved away now. But it certainly seems...at least from these women's POV, to have been less one sided and maybe more reflective of the spirit of the times than creepy old bosses preying on helpless young girls while waving their careers back forth in front of their noses. I hope so anyway.

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”