Some interesting inspection of the indie gaming market

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Re: Some interesting inspection of the indie gaming market

Post by ZedF » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:29 pm

Isn’t the idea of ‘let’s put a primary focus on agents as a limited resource’ drawn from grand strategy games? I’m not really sure it’s all that new — though it might be new in 4X.

As far as the combat goes, it sounds like a heavily RTS-inspired rock-paper-scissor affair, and the whole ‘roleplay your story’ angle without a lot of story hooks provided sounds like it will result in very generic stories. I think I’d want to see it before jumping on any bandwagons.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:06 pm

Well at least it sounds better than Civ 7 "Here's more of the exact same thing repackaged differently".
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:34 pm

I dunno, maybe yes maybe no. Like I said, I'd want to see it in action; I don't find the marketing spiel super-convincing, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

That said, triple A games rise and fall on the strength of polish, much more than originality, so comparing to Civ isn't really useful.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:02 am

You sound downright hostile to a game you admittedly haven't seen yet. I get that we all want SOTSHD but this guy is trying something that sounds a little different. You haven't seen it yet so why the hostility?

I mean it could very well be a failure but I'd rather hope than condemn it before it launches. If it is good it doesn't mean that SOTSHD won't be just as good if not better.

Oh and before I forget congrats to Donna Strickland on her nobel prize!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:06 am

to be fair to Zed, the riff in that article has been heard a few times. 4X with micro detail combat, highly technical systems and bots to control stuff for you. Hope for the best but this isn't new ground.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:40 pm

You're reading in hostility that isn't there, Slash. Skeptical? Yes. Non-commital? Yes. Hostile? Not so much; nothing so emotion-driven. If it succeeds, great. But there are too many games out there that fail to live up to expectations to buy the hype on all of them. I don't know the dev, so the hype is all I have to go on. What I infer from analyzing this hype and trying to read between the lines, is that the odds are at best 50/50 that this could turn out to be something I'd be interested in. So, wait and see.

I could go into more detail about where I see yellow caution flags. Maybe you would feel that the things that concern me don’t bother you — which would be fair. But I rather get the sense that you want to believe, whereas I would prefer to wait for evidence. In that case, more elaboration wouldn’t really change anything.
Zed's TARs (sample):

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Well I'm not pre-ordering a copy if that's what you mean. I just said it sounds interesting to me.

Willdieh said he communicated with the dev and he was excited for it. I said there is a guy who is doing a 4x with combat as his main focus and I like his take on it. That's it. I'm not sure it has to be the second coming. But who else is doing a 4x with combat as the main focus right now?

Rossinna-Sama

Post by Rossinna-Sama » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 pm

It depends on what form that focus takes in regards to the combat. SOTS's style is closer to Nexus - The Jupiter Incident then pretty much any other 4X or in general most space games. Very easy to say a focus is on combat but, well, most games say that at one point since combat is one of the 4 pillars which make the 4X tag as Conquest or Exterminate, depending on if they use the 4 C or 4 E terms.
Sword of the Stars 2 : Project Hiver - work in progress
Sword of the Stars 2 : Vanilla AI Enhancement Mod - Alpha Version 6 now Available.
Creator of the upcoming Seimei universe.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:43 pm

To be honest anytime I hear a designer of big battle games refer to the jupiter incident, I cringe.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:53 pm

I've never played Nexus the Jupiter Incident so I have no idea what makes you cringe...

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:42 pm

say I was making a simulation of all the cities on earth and you had to control all the people and the told you the original sims was a big influence on me. You know, where they burnt their own houses down if you left them alone for more than five mins.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:27 am

Ah...that makes sense now!

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:59 pm

What I appreciated about SOTS2 was the refocus at the fleet level. Kinda of tired of typical 4x early game combat where you basically just frantically scout with an individual unit/ship which minimizes the variety during encounters.

There was a game called Stardrive 2 that came out a couple years ago. Full disclosure, I have not significantly played either 1 or 2. I knew that the moment the developer spent a ton of time adding generic squad based combat in a 4x game that it didn't bode well at all (red flag).

While the 4x genre is relatively niche and likely shrinking more than growing, there is still easily anywhere from a few 100k to 2 million potential customers for any game that wishes to cater to them. I just hope that since MOO games have been "successfully re-released" by games such as Stars in Shadows, we can hopefully move on to some new ideas.

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”