DC or Marvel

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

DC or Marvel?

DC
30%
Marvel
70%

Total votes: 155

Mecron
Kerberos

DC or Marvel

Post by Mecron » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:19 pm

Because things are nice and geeky here...buuuuuut not quite broadbased enough :wink: ... I thought I would throw open a comics discussion. And use the thin premise of a debate about which is the more interesting publisher these days to get things rolling. But feel free to talk about fave characters and anything comic-y or animation-y here.

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:30 pm

Ah, first to vote. 8)

Marvel, because of all the hero comics out there, they're the ones that treat their heroes as human beings. Humans with lives, careers, midterms, love lives, and other stuff like that. Makes a great source of conflict when they have to balance their "real life" with their hero life. Though, they don't always succeed; just look at Spiderman. :twisted:

Also, they put their stories in the "real world". No Metropolis, no Gotham; just New York, and...ok, maybe they've overused New York. :P But that doesn't mean they don't go to other places. Plus, I love hearing jokes about New Jersey. :P

Oh, New Jersey. So easy. :twisted:
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

rasorow
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by rasorow » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:45 pm

To be honest, I couldnt tell you who does my favorites. Though I dont really follow them any more. My favorites were Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, some others.

Been a long time since I followed them though.

Rasorow

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:54 pm

lol that would make you a DC man then :wink:

Praxis

Post by Praxis » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:14 pm

DC? Marvel? Full of tights wearing pansies the lot of em! Where the hell is 2000AD, huh?

Dread would arrest Superman for flying without a permit, summarily execute the Green Lantern for disrupting traffic (imitating a traffic sign), lock up Doctor Octopus for having an illegal number of cybernetic implants (eight arms? You're only licensed to carry two arms, creep!) and kick Spiderman in the nuts for being an emo.

He'd probably get on with Batman and the Punisher though, I think he'd really regret having to shoot them in the face for taking the law into their own hands (there's only one law in this town, and it ain’t you..)
"He is not a fit model, though, for a judgement on human nature. Our scanning shows he favors severe alterations."
"You find this odd in a space going race?"
"No. Not at all. That's why there are so few of them left."

castewar
Kerberos

Post by castewar » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:26 pm

It's like the bit cut from Pulp Fiction, in which Mia Wallace quizzes Vincent a series of either/or questions to guage a person. Elvis or The Beatles? Betty or Veronica?

This doesn't preclude Image, Darkhorse, or 2000AD, it's just a starting point - are you more of a Marvel or a DC person?

I'm no Dread fan, but Johnny Alpha is the bomb.

Say, you'd know - what was the reaction to the Stallone Judge Dread movie in England? I've always wondered - North America wasn't familiar with Dread, so they always took it at face value and were left wanting, but I always wondered if UK fans graded it on a curve.

Praxis

Post by Praxis » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:02 pm

Heh, I wuz joking.

I suppose the reaction to the movie was the same as with any comic/book license, hardcore fans can always find something to nitpick, everyone else is just indifferent. ;)

Even so, they did make some obvious blunders. I'm not a hardcore Dread fan (comics not really my thing, I get my kicks from books... real ones :P), but even I knew him taking his helmet off was a big no-no, you never ever see his face, just his granite like chin. Stallone's chin was perfect for the role by the way, not so sure about the rest of him :lol:

Am I Marvel or DC? Hmmm, maybe DC, less cartoony, more grit. But there ain't a lot in it, they honestly all look the same to me (much to the chargrin of my comic collecting buddies... and don't start me on Manga)
"He is not a fit model, though, for a judgement on human nature. Our scanning shows he favors severe alterations."

Pendragon

Post by Pendragon » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:33 pm

When I was young, it was all marvel all the time, I was a big X-Men fan. Then I discovered Wildstorm comics and started collecting those almost exclusively, WildC.A.T.s, Stormwatch, Wetworks, Planetary, and The Authority are amongst my favorites. Now that Wildstorm has been absorbed by DC, I guess technically that makes me a DC man, although the only mainstream DC title I collect is the new Green Lantern Corps comic.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:07 pm

Am working on a theory that as people age the slowly transition from Marvel to DC. As for the wildstorm stuff...REALLY liked The Authority till jenny sparks died. And Planetary is pretty much the best comic out there right now for us old folks with a sense of the history of super hero mythology. Just wish they would publish it more often than every glacial age.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:08 pm

and stops for a moment to kick praxis ass over the "real book" comment. :evil:

OF-pathfinder

Post by OF-pathfinder » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:36 pm

I guess Marvel but it's been...uhm....35-40 years since I read a comic book. Though I guess now I would like...Aeon Flux or rather that type of comic.

Pendragon

Post by Pendragon » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:41 pm

Mecron,
I have to agree with you about the Authority, I don't know why I still buy it since I detest all the so called protagonists. I keep hoping to see them get taken down, but since it is their book, that is a faint hope.

I love Planetary, but it is hard to maintain a high level of enthusiasm since, as you pointed out, the wait between issues is interminable. However, there are only a few issues left in the series, and I am eagerly awaiting what is sure to be a spectacular conclusion. My favorite issue is #9 "Planet Fiction", introducing the awsome Ambrose Chase. The ending brings a lump to my throat even now.

Vagabond Prince

Post by Vagabond Prince » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:55 pm

I swing both ways, but a friend just got me into Deadpool so I'm gonna go with Marvel this time.

Praxis

Post by Praxis » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:59 pm

Mecron wrote:and stops for a moment to kick praxis ass over the "real book" comment. :evil:
Hah, my hardcover copy of Odyssey (with annotations) makes a better weapon than a floppy comic book* any day. Bring it on! :twisted:

*No stacks, stacks are cheating.

Rorschach
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Rorschach » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:00 am

I voted for DC mainly because I dig the more "mature" comics they publish through Vertigo. We'll have to see how the whole Infinite Crisis shakes out versus the House of M that just happened on the Marvel side to really see what's what.

Lately I've been running through trade paperbacks of Transmetropolitan and Y:The Last Man.

I guess in terms of monthly super-hero comics I'm interested in the direction Green Lantern is taking with Hal Jordan coming back. Also Whedon's X-Men run is an interesting counterpoint to Morrison's run.

Also for fans of all things comic-y I must pimp Justice League: Unlimited on Cartoon Network. Last season was a lot of fun and showed lots of nods to the DC canon. This year they've got the freakin Darth Vader head in the swamp and the Legion of Doom! How can you not love that?

There, that enough geek for you Mecron? :)

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”