DC or Marvel

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

DC or Marvel?

DC
30%
Marvel
70%

Total votes: 152

vaccum_pony

Re: DC or Marvel

Post by vaccum_pony » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:53 am

The Magus wrote:The first I heard of it I had to stop myself because for I could have sworn they had already done this. Was about a minute before I finally realized I was just remembering a really cool tribute episode of Batman TAS :P

Ha! I showed my kids the clip and my daughter said they were just stealing from the T.V. series.
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:19 pm

the movie is quite good.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:12 pm

Mecron wrote:can hardly wait...these projects where DC animations is actually trying to mesh the art style with the original material is a great leap forward both in terms of creator respect and in realizing that an animated film taken from comics has different potential than a movie taken from a book.

Agreed... the more animated movies they make that are faithful to the source material both in style and substance - the better! I really enjoy the merging of the two and find that one does not detract from the other - I'd buy both with no qualms.
Go Hiver or go home!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:13 pm

I prefer it greatly to the marvel animation "whatever is cheapest" system.

Simpson3k

Post by Simpson3k » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:25 pm

I prefer marvel because its setted in the real world not in some fictional created cities like Metroplis or Gotham City. That allows it to get a better idea of the rest of the world beside the hero stories.

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:57 pm

Set in the real world yet they all congregate in New York for some reason and still regularly fail to save it because out of the 100 super heroes living there only at most one small team ever responds to the threat... heh.
Go Hiver or go home!

DarkCecilo

Post by DarkCecilo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:04 pm

I chose Marvel, Started out liking DC More but I grew tired with the only heroes I really liked which were Batman and Superman. Grew Tired with Superman because he is almost impossible to kill because.. he is superman and Batman because of the memes and whatnot that generated around him.

DC heroes are much more numerous, constantly changing and none of them scream "I am invincible. Nothing can kill me. Except that one thing everyone seems to have somehow".

Hawawaa

Post by Hawawaa » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:43 am

The Dark Knight Returns Part 2 is out this Tuesday. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUyQlvdbANQ

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:21 am

Awesome!

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:10 am

Hawawaa wrote:The Dark Knight Returns Part 2 is out this Tuesday. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUyQlvdbANQ

Woot! That's one good thing about being slow seeing all these sorts of things - you don't have to wait as long for the next one :P

I also recently saw the Batman: Year One film (I know, late to the party again) and thought it was pretty entertaining.

I wish they'd get some serious animators going on a decent Green Lantern flick :D Sadly, everything GL and animated seems to be using these ridiculously bad animations that look like they crawled out of a TV channel in Japan designed for 9 year olds :(
Go Hiver or go home!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:50 am

too bad you can't grasp style choices or just appreciate the very good space opera story for what it is ;)

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:44 pm

It's not a matter of grasping style choices - it's a matter of not appreciating their choices. A visual style that doesn't seem to fit the universe* or the seriousness of the story for me creates a jarring interrupt that forces me to apply a hell of a lot more effort on my part to get past it and immerse myself in the story. Ever read the kid's story The Princess and the Pea? Most people find it ridiculous... me? I sympathize with the poor woman and think that pea should be mercilessly hunted down and destroyed. For me, a ridiculous style is that pea.

Aliens, technologies, and various other aspects of the GalCiv series are very whimsical and comedic - not something I look forward to while trying to envision an interstellar empire with a war machine capable of dominating other races and destroying suns or achieving a galactic civilization that administers to trillions. In contrast, the SOTS universe comes across as far more serious and far more true to its theme. You guys have your jokes and references and what not in there too, but they are done more cleverly and not thrown in anyone's face - they don't break the immersion - they just provide a few chuckle opportunities.

Needless to say... I play SOTS frequently, GalCiv I have long since uninstalled.

*Barring some of the truly bizarre random aliens in the GL backgrounds, lol.
Go Hiver or go home!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:15 pm

I've actually been enjoying the new Green Lantern animation quite a bit. The art style stood out at first, but once I realized how well it worked to model the various Constructs of the rings, I recognized it as an effective medium and became immersed in the stories and characters, which are exceptional.

As a writer of space opera I also think that this is some of the best working being done in the medium right now, at least on television.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Hawawaa

Post by Hawawaa » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:46 pm

To bad the Cartoon Network executives are canceling both. Seriously they are good shows but nope no 3rd season. Jerks...

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:18 am

Lately, I have been exposed to more of both CD and Marvel.

And the more I read about the respective universes and heroes, the more I shake my head.
How does anyone keep track of it anymore? It's like insanity-ville.

Characters gain and loose powers, die and and are returned, fight clones, cyborgs, robots, evil dopplegangers/alternate reality versions. The power and abilties of heroes are all over the place (from Superman that can barely lift a building to superman that lifts effortesly a 200 quintillion ton weight..while on Earth. Just where did those 200 quintillion tons come from and why didn't the extra mass frak up the planet is anyones guess ).., and often events and explanations make no sense even internally and/or conflict eachother.

If there is one saving grace it would have to be the WB cartoons....they had a certain something.

Some of these new cartoons are...interesting experiments.

But since when did Superman get the ability to drain life?
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”