The "Women in Gaming" Thread

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: The "Women in Gaming" Thread

Post by Erinys » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:35 am

Torezu: your last post has been removed. The discussion is not going to move in this direction, for any reason.

Thanks,

The Management
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:01 pm

More on track, I found this article most interesting.

http://www.pcgamer.com/researchers-find ... ber-males/

If anything, regarding RPGs.... I can most certainly confirm that the one person of my family who is now at her fourth full playthrough of the Mass Effect trilogy is very much NOT male(and that's just couting -one- of the rpgs she's played). Most of her (also female) friends tend to be similar to varying degree.

Sadly,the comment section in that article is as expectedly full of derp than one might assume it would be.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:18 pm

My favourite is that kphx guy....they do love their lil threats don't they? :lol:

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:25 pm

Think I missed that one.

Though I do like how some more reasonable heads are starting to show up:
" BuckNasty84 • 44 minutes ago
The comment section of an article about gender seems to always justify the existence of modern feminism... weird."

CrystalDragonSora

Post by CrystalDragonSora » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:58 pm

So, I'm not sure if anyone here is a fan of the Sanctum series, but I found this earlier today and decided to share it.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ArminIbrisagic/20141031/229136/Character_Design_in_the_Sanctum_Series.php

Seeing characters like these give me a simple joy, I guess. I'm tired of stereotypes, and with all the game still being released that use them, it's nice to find a game without them.

It's also to nice to have a game with female characters that I can relate to more, since the 'usual' tends to alienate me more often than not. But that's me. And by 'relate to', I mean, you know, actually a person. I don't exactly go out and shoot stuff like Skye does. :lol:
The Crystal Dragon has a blog and Twitter!
We are...seven swords in unison.

The sun was born, and so it shall die, so only shadows comfort me. I know in darkness, I will find you, giving up inside like me... Each day shall end as it begins, and though you're far away from me... I know in darkness, I will find you, giving up inside like me...

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:15 am

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/code-docum ... ender-gap/

This article is interesting but not quite so interesting as the comments section. Look at the entitled white male assholes it just sucks out of the woodwork. They feel the NEED to comment. Why? Why on earth does "oldbbsgeek" care if women are encouraged to get a compsci degree? What on earth does it have to do with him?

The answer? NOTHING. It has NOTHING to do with him or the dozens of other men who gravitate to that comment section to mansplain how its not really a problem. Who are these guys who are so threatened all the time?

I just hope to hell no one is having sex with them so that they just die off quietly and bitterly over the next half century, cause really I am just bloody tired of them, their whining, and I am especially tired of having to regard them as peers cause we have common genitals, skin color and social positions.

Seriously...to oldbbsgeek and others like him...just shut the front door. We are tired of you and your vigilant commenting on every single news article that makes you feel like your tiny dicks just got tinier. ENOUGH already. You are just embarrassing the rest of us. Get the frack off the internet.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:19 am

You are the grumpiest old grumpus on the grumpusnet. :lol:

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:03 pm

Rawr!!!

Starknight

Post by Starknight » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:30 am

Erinys wrote:You are the grumpiest old grumpus on the grumpusnet. :lol:

--Arinn

Mecron wrote:Rawr!!!

Grumpusaurus Rex?

... I might be able to come up with the cash for a skin of that on Ginormasaurus, actually... let me know if it becomes available. :lol:
My Morrigi fleet-speed calculator for SotS Prime
The Holy Lands - Hivers vs. the infidel Liir (and others)
Currently working on getting my board game Dragon Raiders into final condition before going to Kickstarter...

Vanish

Post by Vanish » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:13 am

Of all the possible game companies to take a step forward, Blizzard seems to be slowly getting it in their latest project :lol: This one struck my male privilege right on the forehead, so I had to share it:

This is a very stark contrast to their other mini-project, which features a lot of anorexic babes with huge breasts.

Worth noting is that this studio typically derives ALL of its art style from the superheroes/comics school of thought. Search "Jaina Proudmoore" on Google Images for previous incarnations of this heroine, and notice the contrast. It's very striking if you grew up with those characters in your heart.

And that's a good thing.
"We have such sights to show you."
-Hellraiser

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:06 pm

Nice pauldrons. :)

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:29 pm

Haven't posted here in a while, but I just learned that the PC/Wii U(and possibly others) RPG "Child of Light" ontop of featuring a female protagonist has a soundtrack entirely composed by the same woman, a 25 years old artist and composer from my own province going by "Coeur de Pirate"(Béatrice Martin by her real name): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C5%93ur_de_pirate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mC1_MnEHjU The soundtrack can be listened to here.

And ordered here:http://musique.coeurdepirate.com/album/child-of-light

The game can itself be found here for PC: http://store.steampowered.com/app/256290/

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:05 pm

Today I just discovered that one Hilary Craven is a game designer in the currently being Kickstarted Solar Crusader 4X game.

https://twitter.com/hilary_craven

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... -crusaders

Felt this one sound interesting, with the blend of FTL-like gameplay and 4X gaming, it feels like a title to look forward to.
Also: "Solar Crusaders is a multiplayer strategy game featuring an open world sandbox, real-time battles, and simulated game economy."

With mentions of an official multiplayer server(which might be subscription based), it sounds like multiplayer intend to be almost handled in a fashion akin to a self0-contained MMO of sort.
Though since the mention regarding monthly access to "official" server, it makes me wonder if that means players could run their own servers too. The fact there might be this kind of option(paid large official server, potentially free players-run servers?) sound like it could be pretty interesting too.

Edit:

Also doubly interesting is this tidbit where the kickstarter might not even be to purely make the game happen, but also potentially to just help awareness of it/accelerate development. It sounds like even with a failed campaign they intend to finish this game rather than an all or nothing.

Solar Crusaders is being made by Silicon Valley startup Puremana Studios LLC, founded by Hilary Craven, and Oliver Dyla. We're self-funded and we have enough money to make sure this game happens. Our core team is locked in and committed to this project for the next 2 years.

We're a little over half way through development, and we've decided to come to Kickstarter to raise awareness about Solar Crusaders, and raise funds to accelerate the development schedule by increasing the size of our team.

We're testing the waters with this premise, and we want you to help us prove that there is a significant group of people that would love to play a 2D open world space game!

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Tue May 05, 2015 8:37 pm

I think this relates to the topic, re the depiction of women in gaming/comic areas.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/5/8552979 ... emy-renner

Regardless of how you feel personally about the word "slut," I thought the article did an excellent job of highlighting the double-standard between men who engage in sex and women who might in the film franchise.

I have yet to see anyone demonstrate how double-standards of this sort are anything but bad.
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Fri May 15, 2015 3:57 pm

*sigh* "Gamers" and "Game Reviewers".

Polygons review of The Witcher 3 is up, and the reaction to it is a shitfest.

"oh no, how dare a site give a review that complains about the misogyny in a game, they're moralo-puritan social justice warriors. Booo! Go away and leave our artistic freedom alone. We have a right to depict worlds which are misogynistic"

Which is entirely missing the point. The Witcher 3 doesn't just depict a misogynistic world. It does so in a misogynistic fashion.
Polygon has the right of it. It doesn't just depict a misogynistic world (which is OK imho if done right, though Anita Sarkeesian might disagree), it does so in a way where both the story and the stylistics of the game are misogynistic.

The real scandal isn't polygons review, it's the reaction to it.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”