Star Citizen Woes

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Slashman

Star Citizen Woes

Post by Slashman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:44 pm

If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Star Citizen Woes

Post by Mecron » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:15 pm

isn't 100 million investment the magic for sure disaster line in start up gaming companies? :lol:

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:00 pm

Nice one!

With all this money and limitless dreams, what could possibly go wrong? :?

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:45 pm

Lengthy post attempting to address the general grumblings going on in the SC community.

Nall White

Post by Nall White » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:41 am

I don't know anything about running a business or making a game. But, it seems that they didn't really set any real milestones. I quit following this game a while ago. It it even out yet? Are they really making a second game without having a first game? Between this and other failed games. I don't see myself backing any games anymore.
I'm NOT a cat!

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:06 am

Nall White wrote:I don't know anything about running a business or making a game. But, it seems that they didn't really set any real milestones. I quit following this game a while ago. It it even out yet? Are they really making a second game without having a first game? Between this and other failed games. I don't see myself backing any games anymore.

.... And Mecron called this consequence over two years ago! (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35393&start=75}

Mecron wrote:I hope it's awesome cause if not he will have... gutted crowdsourcing all by himself.

Over 100 million and still unable to deliver on the promises? Collateral damage all over the place.
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:14 am

I think they are setting or already have set themselves up for problems. They've already successfully monetized their game assets (starships) into a real business model before they even got close to releasing a game. Such a heady mix of early success is probably gonna have long term effects or unsustainable practices attached to it.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:47 pm

All I know is that I get nervous when I see more announcements about conventions and studio openings than I do about the actual game.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:57 pm

Well I'm not a programmer by any stretch, but I'm really trying to understand if it easy to have a full open world 3d space sim with all the physics etc and multi-ship battles going on, while at the same time you're allowing groups of people to move from that into a full FPS environment with CoD sci-fi type gameplay, and then back out again all seamlessly.

Isn't that a netcode nightmare? Or is it just really simple and I don't understand what is involved? All these things are getting developed separately and then they're just going to tie them together right?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:00 pm

no one can really say about other people's tech...all I can say is that I am sure holding a convention a) doesn't help get the game made b) costs money

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:27 pm

Yeah but you can help cushion the convention costs by selling a run of 40 limited edition (virtual) corvettes for $4K a piece. Concept art doesn't cost all that much after all.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:13 am

Le sigh...he may just have invented making more money from making a game than selling it.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:56 am

That he definitely did.

My behind still feels sore from the turn from the "Great first person saga" promise to an MMO that might eventually maybe perhaps be made at some point in time.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:01 am

From what I can tell, they offloaded even the costs of their weekly show onto fans. Truly an example of critical mass being reached :googly: .

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:35 am

I'll just leave this here so we can all appreciate the great stuff they're selling to folks that doesn't actually exist yet.

That artwork sure does look purty though.

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”