Star Citizen Woes

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Slashman

Re: Star Citizen Woes

Post by Slashman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:18 pm

Well that is a complete shocker! :o
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:54 pm

le sigh...single player should be the most basic first step.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:24 am

Mec, you're just not getting the Chris Roberts method. That's not how RSI rolls. The stuff that makes sense to other people just doesn't apply when you're pursuing his vision. :insane:
Last edited by Slashman on Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marshb

Post by marshb » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:28 pm

Slashman wrote:Mec, you're just not getting the Chris Roberts method. That's not how RSI rolls. The stuff that makes sense to other people just doesn't apply when you're persuing his vision. :insane:

Lol, or a synonym there of... :lol:
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:03 am

So Chris Roberts posted a letter to Star Citizen backers.

In it, he appears to reaffirm his company's commitment to never committing to a release date. He has instead offered to show the backers their internal targets for whatever milestones they are working on. Oh...and they're selling more ships to support the ever expanding "vision". Squadron 42 still has no official release date, so I guess he's keeping that promise of delayed indefinitely.

Consistency! That's the important thing! :insane:

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:57 pm

The only question I have at this point is if they can release some kind of product before people stop buying ships for hundreds of dollars. Time is a ticking.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:50 pm

Someone in another forum posted their takings for the last few months. They appear to be on an uptick!

I might even be astonished if President Trump hadn't just happened a couple of weeks ago.

cuquito

Post by cuquito » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:47 pm

i got a buddy that all of a sudden asked me if i know anything about star citizen cause of a gameplay trailer they just released. Them marketing !
Encountersuitic Pelvic Thrust...... 96% of sheridan, kosh talks .......

FireStorm20

Post by FireStorm20 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:17 pm

I am not participating in Star Citizen, even tough Wing Commander and Privateer games were one of my most magic gaming experiences. And im quite appaled by the Star Citizen feature creep, the lack of any focus, etc that seems to be happening.

On the other hand, i remember that stuff liek this, along with missed deadlines, drama was at least in Wing Commander 2, also i think in Strike Commander. possibly also in his other games. Truth be told nobody could believe that you could squeeze such 3d effects out of PCs back then.But Chris Roberts did it, with each game he stretched what you could obtain . What im saying is he may be a bad manager, he may live in his own bubble of reality, he may miss deadlines as if they were nothing, but at least in the past, he also seemed to have that passion and drive that allowed him to create possiblities stretching games.

So i for one will wait till the end of the story to judge it, keeping my fingers crossed that Roberts will be able to do it again.
Faded steel heat

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Right...you realize he is not actually doing anything on the actual making of the game, right?

FireStorm20

Post by FireStorm20 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:38 pm

Im not following to closely , but the few articles i read, specially the last one, with former employees stories, it sounded as if he was taking active part in creating the game, that in fact to active , it sounded to me like a typicall nightmarish case of a micromanaging freak. From what i remember there were stories of Chris mxing in everywhere and overturning direrctors decisions etc. Which is very bad :) but it also sounded like he did take part in the creation of the game.
Faded steel heat

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:15 pm

I suppose meddling is also a form of taking part.

Oh and he got pulled from Freelancer for just that kind of feature creep 'management'.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:05 pm

also yelling over peoples shoulder is NOT making a game, hate to burst your bubble. Making a game is actual work and actual rule writing and actual spot testing and actual file manipulation and actual balancing and rebalancing.

Space Voyager

Post by Space Voyager » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:56 am

I'm not sure such involvement is to be expected in a project of this size. You probably need a full-time manager and have people do the actual development. I worry about his decisions (as a manager) to design more ships instead of finishing the game.
Last edited by Space Voyager on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ErinysSolForce Intelligence has great difficulty penetrating Liir society to that depth, for obvious reasons. fibioLack of scuba gear?

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:02 am

The danger is that they already have a seemingly viable business model with their selling of ships. Everyone just keeps buying them.

Finishing the game is just not Bringing them cash so they just don't have that massive incentive to finish. Imagine if every game could sell assets instead of ship a game.

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”