Justice League

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Mecron
Kerberos

Justice League

Post by Mecron » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:39 pm

Ok so from what I can gather from this movies reviews and thor's reviews is that unless your characters laugh all the way through your movie and no one is sad except for a ghost dad, it costs you 40 points on rotten tomatoes.

ps- if you like super heroes in any way OTHER than as comedy, go see JL...stay for the 2 shwarma

marshb

Re: Justice League

Post by marshb » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Mecron wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:39 pm
Ok so from what I can gather from this movies reviews and thor's reviews is that unless your characters laugh all the way through your movie and no one is sad except for a ghost dad, it costs you 40 points on rotten tomatoes.

ps- if you like super heroes in any way OTHER than as comedy, go see JL...stay for the 2 shwarma
Best review of review sites concerning comic movies. Two thumbs-up! :lol: Seriously, I'm seeing JL tomorrow!!!!
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

marshb

Post by marshb » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:34 pm

Just saw it; liked it very much but it wasn't a Zack Snyder film even if his name was listed as being at the helm. Very very sorry to hear about his daughter. :(
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:42 am

Saw it yesterday and it's a decent flick, but not outstanding. I had a couple gripes, one of which being the depiction of Supes's power level compared to the rest of the JL, but the main one was with the villain. To me he just felt like a generic strongman with an axe and a bunch of minions; he wasn't really distinctive or especially threatening, and he didn't really do anything except go straight for the macguffin. In the fights against the JL he largely just traded blows with them and didn't seem particularly overpowering, except insofar as he had a long hp bar. And in the final fight, once everyone is there he folds pretty quickly. Why did this one need the whole team? As presented, Supes could have taken him solo.

As Bats, I would be wondering what role there is for me on this team I put together, given Cyborg's hacking / surveillance abilities render detective work superfluous, and especially given his 'anything you can do, I can do better' co-opting of all Bats's wonderful toys. Maybe this will get explored in a future movie.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm

yeah apply the same standards to any given avengers movie. Christ, people can't even be bothered to wonder how tony stark knew peter parker was spider man :lol:

As for the villian, yep just a straight out monster, very true. On the other hand I didn't have to sit around watching him pointlessly chew up the sets like Hela in yet ANOTHER daddy didn't love me plot. I mean technically she has the EXACT same plot motivation as Loki and everyone just went with it.

And Zed, if all it took to be the same as someone else was a job description, the world would be a different place.

ZedF
Board Ninja
Board Ninja

Post by ZedF » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:05 pm

In RL, people with similar skillsets work together all the time, but most comic book teams don’t work that way. Heck, most teams in stories in general don’t work that way.

Note that I’m not suggesting here that Bats is in fact superfluous to the JL, just that I can see why he might start to feel that way given how his character was treated. But that’s just a good starting point for a ‘what measure is a mortal’ story arc.
Zed's TARs (sample):
Fractious Allies -- Hiver vs. Hiver, with allies
Who Let The Bugs Out -- Hiver vs. Tarka and Zuul
Tarka Ascendant -- Tarka vs. Hiver and Zuul

Strategy & Tactics Forum Archive -- More posts on strategy, tactics, and TARs

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:06 pm

and experience is its own super-power :twisted:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:47 pm

The movie goer score on rotten tomatoes is very telling.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:06 pm

So I finally got around to seeing JL and given all the controversy I decided to go in with my most mean-spirited "objectivity" turned on.

I'll list the stuff I didn't like (or that bothered me) first to get it out of the way.

1) Opening scene. Didn't like that Batman left an armed crook on the rooftop to go recruit team members. Might just be me, but that felt sloppy. At least knock him out and call the cops or something.

2) Old man Batman. I was on the fence a bit from BvS but I'm more convinced now than ever, that a younger Batman would just fit better with the team dynamic. I don't mind Mature Batman, (I've been at this for almost a decade etc.) but I think old man Batman (Wow it's been over 20 years!) could be its own franchise if they want to explore that.

3) Maybe It's become too ingrained in me over the last few years, but Grant Gustin just seems like a better Flash to me. The ratio of nerdiness and seriousness is just off with Ezra Miller. That's likely not his fault, but gimme CW Flash instead of "run-fast Spiderman."

4) Steppenwolf. For the purposes of this movie I was less concerned by his one-track mindset than I was with the lost opportunity to work in some Darkseid and Apokolips backstory which would serve to strengthen his own position. Darkseid treats him like trash(kills him, brings him back, repeat) and he's still loyal...there's some potential for expanding the viewers impression of him. Darkseid gets mentioned once. Could have been some flashbacks to lend his crusade more weight than just "Destroy for the sake of the Motherboxes!"

So about the stuff I liked:

Cyborg! They handled his character very well I think. Definitely deserves his own movie.

Wonder Woman! Kind of a given. Gadot has the role pretty locked. And apart from a bit of lack in the buff department, I will always look forward to her appearances in the future.

The entire rest of the movie. It's great to see the team begin to take shape and I'm waiting to see Green Lantern and Hawk Girl join the ranks!

So in the final analysis. I don't know what all the fuss was about. Critics are getting more bizarre and I'm convinced that they have forgotten how to have fun with movies. Now note that this isn't the same as recognizing fun moments in movies. But I think that for the modern movie critic, this has become a major distinction and a reason why reviews are spun out the way they are.

There is also a very notable "me too" sheep mentality prevailing that I really don't like. Bright is a good example of this. Any sane person going in to Bright likely expected what they got. A fun buddy-cop movie with orcs, elves, magic and Will Smith. Apparently it was supposed to be a cross between Blade Runner, Lord of the Rings and Shadowrun and reveal some deep mysteries of life that the audience hadn't contemplated. 89% Audience reviews to 32% on Rotten Tomatoes. There is...weirdness going on. I swear there was a whole comment section of people bashing the movie that had not seen it yet after one unfavorable review that I read.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:00 pm

Yeah full score to your point about Bright. These types of things show more and more that "professional" reviewing is breaking down for many aspects of art.

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”