STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI *spoilers* 'cause I can't keep secrets!

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Slashman

Re: STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI *spoilers* 'cause I can't keep secrets!

Post by Slashman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:56 pm

That's pretty much what I'm talking about. But that isn't really explored or explained in the movie well.

No one tackled the whole issue of dark side powers (bad) vs light side powers (good) as being a mistake. It was still presented like you have to make one major decision to turn to the light or dark. I was hoping we'd finally get to see a Jedi who wielded both sides and understood that things aren't black and white.

Also, while I appreciate Rey being innately powerful, does that mean that lightsaber combat and other Jedi techniques somehow don't need to be taught? You just swing it around and you'll get it?
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

marshb

Post by marshb » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:17 pm

I thought Yoda, near the end of the movie, talking to Luke, hinted at those very things along with the symbolic destruction of the ancient texts.
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:50 pm

Well for me that's the thing. What's in the ancient texts exactly? Is it ALL wrong? Since we have nothing but the previous films to call canon, no one knows. The prequel trilogy seems to suggest that adherence to those texts would have prevented Darth Vader from happening because he would never have been trained as a Jedi because he was too old.

But I guess ancient texts that weren't page turners are useless so into the fire with them!

The movie had some great moments that I liked but it just felt...sloppy maybe is the word I'm looking for.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:13 pm

slash sorry it may be a co inky dink but you are starting to sound a bit like a grumpy dude fan. Whenever a dude drifts into whining about Rey's raw talent and affinity, I start feeling snores coming on.

Also I thought they made it pretty clear in metaphor and a few lines where the Jedi mistake lay, The choice of spot for the darkside loci on the island made a pretty clear point.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:56 pm

Feel free to snooze on Mec but sorry, I was never a huge Star Wars fan. Never collected any merch, never even owned the originals on VHS or DVD. I liked 4, 5 and 6 well enough and didn't like the prequels much. Played some XWing vs Tie fighter and the Dark forces series. Started but never finished Bioware's Old Republic games. That's about it.

I liked Force Awakens and I liked some of Last Jedi but not all of it. If that's grumpy dude fanboyism, slap the cuffs on. Our opinions differ and I guess that's that. We'll see what the last part of the trilogy brings.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:44 pm

Slashman wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:56 pm
Also, while I appreciate Rey being innately powerful, does that mean that lightsaber combat and other Jedi techniques somehow don't need to be taught? You just swing it around and you'll get it?
With the force comes limited precognition. You'll swing your saber, you have no idea what you're doing (initially), but you do know exactly what will get you killed...because you've seen it.

The result is a functional, but not optimal action. Sub-optimal actions will get you killed if you're faced with a fully trained, but less talented, actual jedi knight...but those aren't really around anymore.

Luke hade some training from Obi-wan, but he faced a crippled cyborg who had only a smidgeon of his former power and a Sith lord who viewed lightsaber combat as a last resort. I don't think Kylo Ren had much training either, but also relied on his natural talents more than anything.
Lord Snoke was probably not very keen on teaching him either, a leashed beast is only useful as long as it knows who is the stronger.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:14 pm

Exactly. And slash, if we want to constrain this conversation to just this movie so one does not have to be "into" star wars to be on an even review keel, if you watch the fight scenes it is pretty well demonstrated that Rey is making her way through by throwing around vast amounts of raw power, while kylo was demostrating a lot of technique while still being emo. :P

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:39 pm

Well what would Kylo be if not for emo? :lol:

You do notice her using wide swings near the end its true. I'm curious as to what exactly those guards were and if that was cortosis armor they were wearing.

As an aside, there is a new trailer out for the Han Solo movie.

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:47 pm

Slashman wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:39 pm
Well what would Kylo be if not for emo? :lol:

You do notice her using wide swings near the end its true. I'm curious as to what exactly those guards were and if that was cortosis armor they were wearing.

As an aside, there is a new trailer out for the Han Solo movie.
Basically, the remnants of the emporer's royal guard from Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi... At least now, we can see WHY they were guards, they had skills that could ALMOST stand up to a very strong jedi/force user.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Actually I have been waiting since Empire to see those crimson creeps fight and I was pretty happy!

snotface

Post by snotface » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:29 am

Finally got to see this last night. WAs good my complaints below are more nitpicks tbh.

Poe was annoying. He seems too good at what he does to the point that i'm just not invested in his scenes when hes flying around popping turrets on a dreadnought.

Fin seemed pointless, was thinking after would the film be any different if all his scenes were just straight up removed? would there be any plot holes? Did any of his actions actually have an impact?

Really enjoyed Rey, Kylo, Snoke, Luke tho.

Emo-ren was the star of the show for me, i was very surprised. I like that him and Rey have a connection that isn't just hating each other now, could be interesting.

Also Yoda taking the piss out of Luke, now THAT is what Yoda is best at.

Its been left very open for where they can go next, which i like as Starwars is more of a setting thing for me than being about any individual movie.

snotface

Post by snotface » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:40 am

Mecron wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:57 pm
(And for the record no, the phantom menace was shit for a lot of us from beginning to end. Nothing to admit there)
How dare you, The pod race was amazing. :P

Rest in peace Ratts, rest in peace :(

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ratts_Tyerell

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:25 pm

I enjoyed the movie enough and was entertained for a couple hours.

However there really isn't anything in this movie that will have me revisiting it.

Disney's Lucasfilm is planting so many plot seeds and story threads to disseminate throughout their other media that it feels like they are getting sloppy with the story telling.

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:38 pm

I did yawn more than once during the movie too, but to be fair I had a long work week so the movie wasn't completely at fault. :)

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”