STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI *spoilers* 'cause I can't keep secrets!

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI *spoilers* 'cause I can't keep secrets!

Post by Mecron » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:18 pm

I coulda sworn I saw some amazing fighting...huh, maybe I watched a different movie.

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:21 pm

Mecron wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:00 pm
...anyone care to point out EXACT Disney elements
Not having insider knowledge, I obviously can't point out "EXACT Disney elements" beyond speculation. However I do see these "Disney elements" permeating throughout the new movies.
https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/th ... -now-open/

"Q: Was there anything that surprised you when you took the job of running Lucasfilm?

Kathleen Kennedy (KK): I can’t say there’s anything that surprised me, but in terms of being an executive and running a company as well as making movies, I’ve never been in a situation like I am now, especially inside The Walt Disney Company, where there’s the empowerment of all these different lines of business associated with the content that we make. What I love about it is, it’s an extension of the creative process. The strength of narrative is so important in all these different areas of business, especially now with technology. Technology is creating the opportunity to drive the narrative in so many different ways."
My supposition is that most of the re-shoots and director shuffling for all of the Disney-Starwars films resulted from friction due to all the cooks in the kitchen and the needs of the art vs. the needs of the business.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:24 am

The Praetorian Guard fight was OK. It just felt a bit too slow and deliberate. The force was only used to throw a lightsaber here and there. Compared to the Darth Maul fight and the Obi Wan vs Anakin fight it didn't really compare for me in terms of excitement and spectacle.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:44 am

No awesome, I did not ask you about your inferred theories based on an interview. I asked a simple question. Which moments felt like disney? And if you can't answer do you not have to question the critique?

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:03 am

Maybe when Kylo sang "I just can't wait to be King".

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:54 pm

Mecron wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:44 am
No awesome, I did not ask you about your inferred theories based on an interview. I asked a simple question. Which moments felt like disney? And if you can't answer do you not have to question the critique?
I would go with the force sensitive stable boy wishing upon a star at the end of the film.

Also, have you seen the url on that link? "Interview" is a comical label for it. I would put it firmly in a PR spectrum of things at the very least. I don't need to infer anything, they say so explicitly.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:33 pm

Cpt. Awesome wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:54 pm
I would go with the force sensitive stable boy wishing upon a star at the end of the film.
Awesome, that is a stretch. And I mean like a "Mr. Fantastic forgot his lunch a couple blocks away" stretch. The movie definitely did not feel like a Disney production. Was that stable boy wishing on a star or just wishing for someone to take him away from that miserable life?

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:11 am

I just answered a simple question. That is one moment that felt like the hand of Disney to me, they even had the evil step mother alien yelling at the kid to clean up. He'll probably be the protagonist of a YA adventure novel or comic.

It definitely didn't feel like the same director who had light sabers going through heads and kamikaze attacks.

Feel free to enjoy the movie as much or as little you wish. My point of view is that I enjoyed 1/3 of the movie and that there are probably too many cooks in the starwars kitchen...that's it.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:36 pm

Well I am happy you could actually name ONE scene that supported your disneyification theory! Carry on!

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:07 pm

After having seen EC Henry's analyses of the Star Wars sequels I think I have to conclude that they're not Star Wars disneyfication, it's instead Lore To The Max where each scene is derived from one of the inferred rules of star wars (like, "capital ships defences are extremely vulnerable to fighters") and then taken to the max.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:04 pm

yeah thats kinda where I fall...I mean I might not take a concept to the max myself, but then I am not writing a movie to draw the most number of butts to seats.

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”