Black Panther

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Slashman

Re: Black Panther

Post by Slashman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Where would you come down on me if I seized power on this island, confiscated the wealth of all the white people as reparations for what they put my forebears through, and set them all adrift on the Atlantic in tiny, leaky rowboats? One massive flotilla of "Farewell my white oppressors!"
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:40 pm

I dunno...were white officials still demonstrably shooting you in the face for speeding stops? Cause you seem REAL distanced from the black in america experience that Kilmonger's origin was referencing.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:05 pm

And you're right there in it? Please outline to me when and where you suffer oppression for the color of your skin?

I may not (thankfully) live in a country where white cops shoot black people out of spite (and I'm fucking disgusted that that awful shit happens), but I sure as hell can relate times where I've felt and witnessed oppressive racism first hand. And I can tell you for sure, that when white people shoot black people here for whatever reason (like you walked across my property and I think you may have stolen some of my fruit), they generally don't even get a slap on the wrist and its hush hush city. The economic might of the white people here is by far the driving force behind this country, whatever public declarations of independence we make.

But please go on and tell me why I should condone horrific violence and wrong doing from a made-up character in a movie past the point of acknowledging that his life and upbringing were touched by oppression and violence from white people. And why are you suggesting protests as a remedy to these very real issues instead of all black people arming themselves and taking the fight to the cops?

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:57 am

Ok...you tell me how I am not supposed to at least understand how oppression leads to rage? Sorry what exactly is your point here other than telling me you are both more oppressed and more reasonable than I am? I didn't tell you how to feel...I said I understood how PEOPLE can choose malcom X over Dr King. And, in fact, I would find it the height of fucking hypocrisy if I said that I would feel exactly the same as I do now if the guns were pointed in my face.

I was on Tchalla's side but guess what,at least I am willing to see the point the movie WAS TRYING TO MAKE, which is the peaceful path STILL COSTS LIVES and its folly to ignore that or its consequences.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:16 pm

My point was never that anyone living under those conditions would not feel rage. I am, in fact, surprised that at least some of the families of those affected have not attempted some sort of revenge already.

My issue was simply that (and maybe I'm a total freak here), I would not order my life based on ANY fantasy character in a movie or book. Maybe I misunderstood the extent of the idolization being referred to and its just a passing fad. That's why I asked about it in the first place. I honestly was not following the trend.

It's one thing to take that kind of inspiration from Malcolm X and to me another to take it from Magneto. If someone had told me that a figure had risen up in the black community in the USA which was promoting that kind of pushback against this injustice, I may not support him/her, but I would totally get why those in the fire would. Because at least that is someone real who is sharing their pain. Then again I guess I don't get the people who were spray painting Frodo Lives all over the place back in the day either. And I loves me some Lord of the Rings...

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:05 am

Fair enough, Killmonger is not exactly A-list villiany in the comics. For me though, I thought it was more weird that people idolized Rambo.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:12 am

I was never a gung-ho Rambo fan. I did see the movies when I was a kid but I think I was more just a fan of the 'splosions and some "cool dude" in the forest taking out "bad guys". Well I was just a kid at the time so...

Actually, I was a bigger Remo Williams fan than a Rambo fan. That may or may not be a step up. I dunno.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:11 pm

Remo was cool....rambo was a tool!

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:37 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a Remo Williams movie done properly for the current generation. Or preferably a decent Netflix series.

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”