When Canadians go bad...

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Mecron
Kerberos

When Canadians go bad...

Post by Mecron » Fri May 25, 2018 7:44 pm

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/2018/05 ... erous.html

I have never liked this guy's brand of BS but now that he is an american right wing darling, I am glad someone stepped up to say otherwise.

Cpt. Awesome

Re: When Canadians go bad...

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Fri May 25, 2018 11:42 pm

Opinion piece? More like tantrum hit piece. This strategy will likely produce the opposite of the intended effect.

Instead of attacking the person, he should be spending his energy making better arguments.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat May 26, 2018 12:33 am

Ah Awesome...it takes so very little to peel away your thin veneer. You are about as neutral politically as Nixon. :lol:

And for the record, his argument is quite good. He is giving key insights into the birth of a Demagogue. His EXACT point is the person and how that person is slipping from facts to manipulation. Something to think about when, you know, you are not busy looking up in worship at the intellectual "telling it like it is" when that telling is "Hey, threatened white conservative male! You're right!!!"

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sat May 26, 2018 1:08 am

Awesome, what part of that article reads like a tantrum?

I heard that guy give an interview once on gender equality in the workplace and his 'facts' were all over the place. He does mix and match with the truth and then paints himself to be the 'voice of reason' that's sorting it all out because he sees it all so clearly.

And oddly it always seems to come out on the side of the straight white male being right all along but so very misunderstood.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat May 26, 2018 2:42 am

I can tell you, its pretty tough being a white male upper middle class landowner! Oh the disrespect you have to go through! No one listening to your opinions or caring about your feelings...well except for other white males...and politicians...and religious leaders...and bankers...and the police...and most judges...and stores...and most TV studios...and movie executives.

Yep it sure is a lonely and abuses niche to live in.

Sure glad there is someone defending the "common sense" of my innate superiority. :lol:

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sat May 26, 2018 3:33 am

Wow Mec, when you describe it like that I feel like tearing up at the injustice of such a harsh life. The grass surely is always greener...

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat May 26, 2018 4:06 am

Don't even get me started on what it will cost me emotionally to ask someone how they would like to be referred to.

Cpt. Awesome

Post by Cpt. Awesome » Sat May 26, 2018 4:12 am

Slashman wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 1:08 am
Awesome, what part of that article reads like a tantrum?
I would "spookily over simplify" it as a mishmash of fear mongering, false equivalencies, and plain old salt.

The author would bring up a criticism, then in the next paragraph he does exactly what he is being critical of.

My point is that there are hundreds of articles "stepping up" to Jordan Peterson being written each day and I see it as only accelerating any blowback (for better and for worse).

Mecron. I do enjoy your standard comedy routine and glad you dusted off the ol' hat :lol: Your characterization of me is almost as funny as the accuracy of your political prognostications. :oops:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat May 26, 2018 9:16 am

Oh ow! Forsooth! I am slain. :lol:

Seriously though, you typed but in no way did you answer slash. It's an article...you can quote as you like to illustrate any of your points.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sat May 26, 2018 1:59 pm

Well we obviously have different ideas of how tantrums are defined. The author sounds downright apologetic that he feels he needs to write the article at all. Also he's a (former?) close friend of Peterson and knows him better than I do for sure.

Awesome, how close to Peterson are you? And how many years have you known him personally?

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”