TotalBiscuit, July 8 1984 - May 24, 2018 - RIP

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

TotalBiscuit, July 8 1984 - May 24, 2018 - RIP

Post by Erinys » Sat May 26, 2018 6:52 pm

A few words here about Totalbiscuit, who lost his battle with cancer earlier this week.

I have seen some hard words in the community and the blogosphere after John Bain's death. The man said some fairly brutal things over the course of his online career, and people hold those words close to their hearts. Some people disagreed with his opinions, especially about women and about indie games made by women. That's fair enough, and you're allowed to kick back at those opinions.

That said, I still think people who say "He had it coming" about his death by cancer are out line. And my friend Jake, who said "Wherever he's gone, I hope there are nothing but indie games for the PC made by women"...was also out of line. Although not necessarily in the way he thinks.

Whatever harsh or unkind thing you feel like saying about John Bain's passing, because he was sometimes awful to people when he was alive...maybe don’t.

Yeah, he was a difficult person. He could do great good or great harm to an indie game. And he was definitely not a feminist. He was the sort of pundit who would use his platform to tell millions of young dudes that there was no such thing as the Gender Wage Gap, and other MRA nonsense. In many ways, he came off as a less-pretentious and off-book version of Jordan Peterson.

Yes, he often beat up indie games, especially games made by women. But he also played and boosted the signal on some indie games. The signal boost he gave Sword of the Stars: The Pit was very helpful.

The bashing he gave my team over our games with Paradox, or our Early Release of Kaiju-A-Gogo...was very NOT helpful.

All that said...in the end his only weapon was his opinion. And I know he was loved, and I imagine his wife and son are hurting right now. Sometimes you’ve got to be the bigger person.

When we had our first review prototypes of The Pit Board Game available, we sent a copy to TotalBiscuit. We were just hoping that it would help while away the hours of chemo. It's a good game to play with your loved ones, since you play as a team. Since the Pit was the one game of ours he seemed to like the best, we wanted to give something back.

Whoever went to his Wikipedia page to scrub all the controversy from his biography was wrong.

People who think you should celebrate Cancer’s victory over a human being and his family are also wrong.

Jake said, “I hope that wherever TB has gone, there are nothing but indie games made by women.”

All MY games will be there.

TB’s “Hell” won’t be as bad as some people seem to think. If you deleted every game in your collection made SOLELY by men...you’d lose a lot less than you think of your game collection.

Wherever you are...Rest easy, John.

And try to get point defense.

--Arinn Dembo
Kerberos Productions
May 26, 2018
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Re: TotalBiscuit, July 8 1984 - May 24, 2018 - RIP

Post by Nspace » Mon May 28, 2018 12:46 am

My condolences to his family and friends.

While I was no fan of his work, the death of someone still so young is sad. And being glad, happy or some similar sentiment over his death is wrong, full stop.

And because I've had personal experience in seeing loved ones die due to cancer, I'd just like to say "Cancer can go straight to hell" (my original phrase was worded quite a bit stronger, but this didn't feel like quite the right place for that).
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

Slashman

Re: TotalBiscuit, July 8 1984 - May 24, 2018 - RIP

Post by Slashman » Mon May 28, 2018 1:25 pm

I really didn't know too much about Total Biscuit. I definitely was unaware of his issues with indie games made by women.

From my perspective, he seemed to mostly hate games that weren't immediately accessible or that required more than a few moments of thought to make progress. For that reason I rarely paid attention to him.

Still, cancer is a horrible way to go and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. RIP Total Biscuit.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”