Swatting out of control

All off-topic, non-Kerberos chatter. Saw a flick? Read a comic? Heard a tune? Got some news? Do it here, please and thanks.

Moderator: Erinys

Slashman

Swatting out of control

Post by Slashman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:11 pm

This is an example of League of Legends behavior and why I find myself playing less and less games online as a whole.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Swatting out of control

Post by Mecron » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:29 pm

Is even a single swat "in control"?

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:10 pm

That is undeniably true...

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:48 am

I think this just shows more and more how badly mental health issues are being ignored these days, especially in young men.

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:38 am

What is the fix though? Can you really force someone to commit to psyche evaluation and treatment? And then who determines what is to be done?

I ask because where I lived growing up, there was a young man that had issues...he would be taken in every so often and released. Went on for years after I moved away and then we heard that he had almost killed someone. But we all knew he was unstable from the get go...the mental facilities should have known and acted. Why didn't they? This man was constantly a nuisance and frequently more dangerous.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:26 pm

So lets see here. Despicable little teenage monster has engaged in some absolutely nasty shit for 5 years and....parents where and done what? And how can the people around him accept that kind of behavior?

Regardless, that kids needs a long stay in a closed psychiatric ward.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:59 am

Right. At what point do we, as a society, start drawing boundaries about required psyche intervention?

Slashman

Post by Slashman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:06 pm

The sooner the better but here come the politicians with their talk about rising costs of health care and other tidbits of information that has nothing to do with getting help to the people who need it before they cause some irreparable harm...

Itharus

Post by Itharus » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:21 pm

There's only so much you can reasonably do, though. You can't just lock up people because you suspect that one day they might do something wrong. You can watch them, offer counseling and the like, and try to help them. But until they actually do something or get caught plotting something you can't rightfully just isolate them from society.

As weird as it might sound, I think isolation is part of the problem. It's really not that uncommon for people to live separate lives under separate personas online these days. And, if I'm being honest, it hasn't been that uncommon since the net went widespread in the mid 90s. I know I did it for a time. I'm willing to be more than a few people on these forums have dabbled in it, too.

Despite how much "more connected" we've become... it has had a strangely isolating effect that sometimes causes withdrawal from society as a whole, and has the nasty habit of reinforcing nasty modes of thought by making it very easy for people, in their anger/grief/whatever to find others in a similar state and congregate and just feed each other's negative emotions. It gives safe places to go dwell on things and brood and plot.

Not saying the internet is the devil or anything -- but I do think that the use of it by adolescents and teenagers is a fairly major contributing factor to the rise of this particular phenomena. There's also the whole copy cat effect thing, where when people see this covered non stop for months on end on every media outlet that for some unfortunate individuals it becomes romanticized.

Humans have spent thousands of years interacting face to face in close knit groups. The madness we are going through today I think is part of the growing pains of the enormous shift that technology has brought us in social interaction, anonymity, and communication.

/ramble lol
Go Hiver or go home!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:24 pm

No actually, I disagree. Humans have spent thousands of years ignoring their mental health issues and needs in favor of sheer survival. We have only had the calories to spare to spend on seriously tending our physical health for the past 500 years. I appreciate where you are coming from but in terms of the problem its squarely in the land of lick this toad and those dark lumps on your skin should go away.

Our society is in its infancy of realizing the mental health of people is a vital thing.

The person in this story, and to be honest ANY swatter, IS NOT MENTALLY HEALTHY. There is NO SANE reason for such behavior. And it certainly isn't just, "Oh you know how lonely nerds can be". He needs fucking help.

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:43 pm

A friend of mine that used to work as a social worker basicly had this to say:
If this had been in Sweden he would end up in a HVB* facility for treatment until he's 21, the type that's so deep into the forest that there is no cellphone reception or internet. If the behavior is related to social problems in the family there will probably be a breakthrough and he'll be fairly OK after that, if it's some sort of psychic illness he's probably someone who will be closely monitored for the rest of his life.

*HVB (translated: "Homes for Care and Living") is a pretty diverse form of institutions (both private and government run). While every facility is fairly specialized there are facilities for everything from families that need social support to involuntary treatment of addicts and mentally ill. The common denominator is the combined housing and support/treatment facility, typicly with around the clock staffing. Only government run facilities are allowed hold someone against their will.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:20 pm

that sounds like a good idea. And I predict over the next 100 years you will see more of this sort of thing around the world.

Return to “Off Topic Misc.”